Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 02:33 PM

100 posts, read 234,389 times

Advertisements

OK, we all know the conventional wisdom that says you should cut scenes from your novel that don't really advance the plot at all. These scenes are called "filler" or "fat" or whathaveyou. However, as I'm reading Lord of the Rings to my son, it seems that this rule was violated several times.

Example: when the hobbits encounter Tom Bombadill and Goldberry. To me it's straight filler. Am I wrong? And it's not just Tolkien. Now that I think on it, there are many contemporary novels that violate that rule (every one of Robert Jordan's or Terry Goodkind's novels, for instance).

Bottom line: how does a writer determine if a scene is "filler" or if the writing would actually be enjoyable to a reader? Just curious as to opinions here.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 09:31 AM

165 posts, read 395,988 times
None of us have lives that lack peripheral issues or events. I think that a novel that lacks them is less than life-like. The good author uses these "sidebar" events to develop his protagonist's personality or character.

In the justifiably acclaimed Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian, for example, Captain Aubrey's many misadventures ashore are used to show that no hero is perfect. Stephen Maturin likewise is highly learned, crafty and of shining parts - but is also addicted to opiates. Without the many "off story line" scenes that illustrate these foibles, the series would be less than realistic.

If there is a point to a sidebar event, it is justified. The reader can always tell when a passage is mere filler, or if it illustrates or develops a point - even if that point does not become meaningful until later in the tale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing