Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:04 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,474,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
OK, just playing devil's advocate here (maybe because I am a 'new' writer). I do not think it is a bad idea for anyone to write a book - even if it is bad or really bad. If someone said they think they are going to write their story - tell them to just go for it. Chances are it probably won't sell - but WOW, what a great experience!
Writing a book about yourself is like masturbation. If one wants to do it in private without asking me to help or watch, it never affects me and I don't have a problem with it. It might even be healthy, and a great experience. Only when they want me to observer their branle, or lend them a hand, does it become difficult to tell them: "No, I do not want to watch you do that, nor am I available to perform it."

They don't even need to advise me of doing it. Hey, I'm masturbating a lot at home! "How wonderful. Do I need to know it? Can't you just do it on the down low like everyone else?"

There aren't very many people I'd want to watch.

That's what I should have said originally and didn't think of it. So your devil's advocacy proved inspirational and clarifying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 11:22 AM

72 posts, read 100,993 times
Hopefully, it's not "That's the worst piece ever written."

Old 01-08-2010, 03:29 PM

165 posts, read 396,245 times
Mine is "Gun writer? Gun writers get free guns, trips and guided hunts just so they'll write that some piece of junk is the best thing ever invented." (None of which is true.)

If I may address some of the whining above, one does not (or rarely) write about his own life. One writes about life, basing it on what he has lived. One draws on his life, mirrors it, filters it, strains it, amplifies it, distills it, and then grafts it onto characters he invents and situations he imagines. THAT is writing, not "When I was eleven, I discovered my genitals."

Old 01-12-2010, 05:41 PM
bjh

60,110 posts, read 30,439,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
OK, just playing devil's advocate here (maybe because I am a 'new' writer). I do not think it is a bad idea for anyone to write a book - even if it is bad or really bad. If someone said they think they are going to write their story - tell them to just go for it. Chances are it probably won't sell - but WOW, what a great experience!
It's good experience for aspiring writers to write just to get used to it. As one writer said in a lecture I attended: Every successful writer has desk drawers books that never see the light of day. But the writer had the experience of writing them. Writing is one of those things that seems easier than it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
If I may address some of the whining above, one does not (or rarely) write about his own life. One writes about life, basing it on what he has lived. One draws on his life, mirrors it, filters it, strains it, amplifies it, distills it, and then grafts it onto characters he invents and situations he imagines. THAT is writing, not "When I was eleven, I discovered my genitals."
I agree that one has to have something to SAY and that's what the main beef on this thread seems to be. Someone has to do something different or find a really different way to describe the ordinary!

Btw it took someone until age eleven?

Old 01-13-2010, 05:29 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,280,356 times
If someone wanted to pay me to help write his or her life story, I'd be more than happy to quote a rate for my services as ghostwriter or editor.

But of course, they all want to pay by "sharing the profits when we sell it."

Silly me, wanting to get paid for my time and expertise when I provide them. Whatever was I thinking?

Last edited by Yzette; 01-13-2010 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: Because I can write and I can spell, but I can't type with a bird on my keyboard.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:34 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,299,080 times
This has to be one of the best threads I ever read. It is filled with good wriing, good grammer, humor, horror and enough information to create a group short story in which everyone can participate. When finished the story should be 1000-1500 words.

Any takers? It might be fun. .

Old 01-16-2010, 07:36 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,201,871 times
Worst words a writer can hear: "Thank you for submitting your manuscript. Unfortunately, it does not meet our needs at this time." Especially for about the thirtieth time on the same piece.

Worst words a YA writer can hear from non-writers: "Oh, why don't you write about vampires/magical boarding schools/dragons? I hear they're really popular."

Old 01-17-2010, 08:15 PM

88,669 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
This has to be one of the best threads I ever read. It is filled with good wriing, good grammer, humor, horror and enough information to create a group short story in which everyone can participate. When finished the story should be 1000-1500 words.

Any takers? It might be fun. .
OK, if it's not against the rules, I think we should start with Rocky Raab's line.

When I was 11, I discovered my genitals. Unfortunately it would be another ten years before I got to use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing