Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2010, 07:18 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times

Advertisements

You've seen the ads if you read writing mags: "Will help you get your story the best it can be. I will take your idea and turn it into a full-length novel for you. You receive the credit and royalties. Contact me today."

I once inquired of a few of these guns for hire and the prices I was quoted ranged from 20k to 40k for an average length novel of roughly 100,000 words (300 pages). For a good wordsmith with an imagination that can be a good income for writing something that you would otherwise just be writing for free on your own, assuming it had absolutely no chance of getting published (which is true) unless you went the vanity press route or POD (print-on-demand).

Anyone ever considered this occupation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 09:20 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
I haven't, personally. For me, much of the pleasure in writing is developing my own topics and stories.

Writing someone else's story can be financially rewarding as you've noted. And it is earning a living as a writer. Nothing wrong in that, making money in a profession that tends to be low-paying.

I might have a go if I got a credit as in "As told to.." or "Susie Bigstar and (me)" listed as co-authors. But many/most ghostwriters writing books for celebrities and well-known figures get absolutely no credit--they truly are 'ghostwriters.'

Wonder how that would feel--all that hard work for no recognition...? Any ghostwriters want to weigh in??

Old 01-31-2010, 12:03 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,485,277 times
I didn't even know there were any GHOSTS hiring.

Sorry...couldn't resist.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:22 AM

23 posts, read 38,890 times
20K-40K is tough to ignore, however; no credit is hard to swallow. Does that mean you can't use your experience to land other writing jobs? Well, I guess you could, you just couldn't list the titles, right? How would that work?

Money isn't this easy...there must be something else involved. I would think the ghostwriter would have to go through the editing process as well? Very interesting idea all the way around and something I'd like to look into a little further.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxingpoetic75 View Post
20K-40K is tough to ignore, however; no credit is hard to swallow. Does that mean you can't use your experience to land other writing jobs? Well, I guess you could, you just couldn't list the titles, right? How would that work?

Money isn't this easy...there must be something else involved. I would think the ghostwriter would have to go through the editing process as well? Very interesting idea all the way around and something I'd like to look into a little further.
Well, I'll say this. The Internet has made putting your services out in the public's eye a piece of cake. Goggle "hire a ghostwriters" and check out some of the services being advertised. Used to be you had to run an expensive ad in a writing mag. No more. I'd have no trouble giving my writing efforts away for cold cash. It's a service like any other. But you can't be the kind of writer that goes over and over your work polishing and polishing the syntax to get just that finely worded phrase or you'll burn yourself out. Whatever comes out has to be the finished product if you're going to be successful and meet deadlines. Most of the time it's just vanity writing for some wannabe who wants to see his name and book title on a hardbound artsy jacket anyway.

Quote:
I guess you could, you just couldn't list the titles, right? How would that work?
You sign an exclusive rights contract whereby you promise not to claim any credit for any work you create for the client. Many of these services are complete services meaning that you arrange everything from the writing to the published product, usually through a POD publisher.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:03 PM

23 posts, read 38,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Well, I'll say this. The Internet has made putting your services out in the public's eye a piece of cake. Goggle "hire a ghostwriters" and check out some of the services being advertised. Used to be you had to run an expensive ad in a writing mag. No more. I'd have no trouble giving my writing efforts away for cold cash. It's a service like any other. But you can't be the kind of writer that goes over and over your work polishing and polishing the syntax to get just that finely worded phrase or you'll burn yourself out. Whatever comes out has to be the finished product if you're going to be successful and meet deadlines. Most of the time it's just vanity writing for some wannabe who wants to see his name and book title on a hardbound artsy jacket anyway.

You sign an exclusive rights contract whereby you promise not to claim any credit for any work you create for the client. Many of these services are complete services meaning that you arrange everything from the writing to the published product, usually through a POD publisher.
I am intrigued! I'm no perfectionist by any means, but I do like my work to be accurate, spelled correctly and displaying correct grammar. I'd definitely want something in the contract that stated a limited amount of rewrites. I can just see myself getting someone who IS a perfectionist and my work never being quite perfect enough.

I've worked in design a little doing logos and that sort of thing and people will run you in the ground tweaking a custom logo they only paid you peanuts for.

Is there any way to list your ghostwriting experience without breaching an exclusive rights contract?

*edit* I'm currently researching this prospect. I'll post back if I find anything significant. We all know that one could make more money by knocking out the middle man i.e. using a site to find the work, but then...where does one find the work. Marketing yourself would be a lot of web work, keywords, and SEO. Then there are the bidding sites like Elance...it's a huge sea to sift through.

Last edited by waxingpoetic75; 01-31-2010 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: added more info rather than creating a new post

Old 01-31-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxingpoetic75 View Post
I
Is there any way to list your ghostwriting experience without breaching an exclusive rights contract?
Generally, you can list that you've worked on several projects for "major literary figrures" (IOW, no names) My best advice is read some of the websites offering these services. They get down to the nitty-gritty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing