Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 06:32 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Irk, irk, pet peeve....that and frustrated vs flustrated.
Hey, I use flustrated. Not out of ignorance but because it describes exactly my feeling at work when I am being trained on a new procedure and I am under a lot of stress. I get both flustered by the insane pace and frustrated that I am expected to keep up with the seasoned pros in the department. After an hour of being pushed to the limit this way I'm quite flustrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 08:27 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Irk, irk, pet peeve....that and frustrated vs flustrated.
My mother's friend says "flustrated" and we've always snickered about that behind her back.

My former SIL said "supposably", and she was born and lived in Florida.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:28 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,547,566 times
“Supposedly” vs. “Supposably” - Kirk Mahoney, Ph.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I can't stand some people here around Boston. who replace supposably for supposedly.

Both are listed in the dictionary, but I cannot understand or explain the usage...but I just KNOW when they're used incorrectly.

I would say: Supposedly, we're getting snow today (some would use supposable!).

Supposed and supposable have different meanings...

But I'm so confused still.

Anyone else this confused?

Old 11-20-2010, 06:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,501 times
The complete laziness of the American people in the use of the word supposably has caused it to become a generally accepted term. Just like words such as chillax, dis, and ax (ask). Some words are completely made up but give the speaker a false sense of sounding educated: irregardless, exspecially, and misinterpretated. However I think I will actually pull out my hair the next time my neighbor axes me if I'll borrow my lawnmower to her over the weekend!!

Old 11-20-2010, 06:52 AM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Thankyou bostonguy. I HATE HATE HATE that non-word "supposably"!!!!!
A pet peeve of mine
Do people have marbles in their mouth or ar they just plain lazy?

Old 11-20-2010, 06:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
This online dictionary lists it as an acceptable form:

Supposable | Define Supposable at Dictionary.com

Since it did not elaborate on a definition, it supposedly follows the literal form of the -able ending added to the defined word. In other words, something capable of being supposed would be 'supposable'.

If it is possible to suppose something, that something is supposable. A second gunman on the Grassy Knoll is supposable, an alien from Jupiter is not. By rule, every adjective has an -ly form that can be used to describe an action of the thing so described, no matter the contortions necessary to use it in a sentence. Hence, "supposably".

However, 'supposedly' derives from "things that are supposed", as opposed to things that are undisputed. Her unverified activity in the bathroom was supposed, so she was supposedly washing her hair when I called.

Interestingly, though, 'presmuable' and 'presumably' have made a full divergence, and the dictionary no longer lists 'presumably' as an adverbial form of 'presumable'. 'Presumable' means capable of being presumed. But 'presumably' means probably. Which sounds like pretty much the same thing, to me, but the dictionary splits them up into two unrelated words.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:37 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
I notice mention of the Firefox dictionary not having the word in question. Really? This is your source? I'm gobsmacked!

And while I'm here the word whilst is English and a proper word. I like it's sound.

And whilst I'm here the word while is American English and a proper word. I like it's sound.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:50 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
I find pronunciation of words is more interesting as I age and my ability to hear lessens. I hear some very interesting things. So interesting that I often tell Mrs. Tek what I just heard before I respond.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:08 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,014,045 times
Hmmm.... it's interesting that it may be a regional thing. I've never actually heard (or at least was aware of hearing) "supposably" as a word before actually reading this and I'm Canadian.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:51 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dushenka View Post
However I think I will actually pull out my hair the next time my neighbor axes me if I'll borrow my lawnmower to her over the weekend!!
Instead of actually pulling out your hair, try telling your neighbor how educamated her use of the language makes her sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing