Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:55 PM

328 posts, read 655,152 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm from wisconsin and have decided to take myself to the state of wyoming for a long week. 2 years ago I spent 8 days in south dakota and I loved it, absolutely loved it. This year I'm going to go a bit further and check this state out. I enjoy photography and hoping to get some shots of some cool stuff. I adore small towns and nature. Besides devils tower and yellowstone, what else would attract me ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 10:07 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times
From Devils Tower you might want to head north towards the little town of Hulett, WY. There's not much there, but it's certainly a small, rustic town. But just before you get to Hulett -- maybe a mile south of it, there's a gravel road you can take east towards Cook Lake. It's a rough road but just take it slowly and you won't need 4-wheel drive. If you can do it early in the morning or late in the afternoon you should see hundreds of deer and wild turkey and a few eagles and other misc wildlife, and as you near Cook Lake the scenery is very nice. I've seen a few beavers working in the creeks and ponds but not too many. I'm thinking Cook Lake is about 25 miles from the turn-off, but figure at least an hour each way. You'll have to watch the signs carefully as it's not marked well. It's not something most tourists will see, but we like to take the drive a time or two each year. I wouldn't call this is a "do not miss" drive, but it's pleasant and secluded if you decide you have the time to spare.

After Hulett/Cook Lake, head back to Moorcroft and continue to Buffalo on I-90. Buffalo is another nice little town of around 4,000. It's an historic area (think Johnson County Wars) and worthy of a trip downtown. The Occidental Hotel ( The Historic Occidental Hotel in Buffalo, Wyoming - Butch Cassidy stayed here, Now You Can Too! ) is probably the best example of restoration downtown. If you enjoy small town museums, there's a nice little one just up the block from the Occidental.

You'll want to cross the Bighorn Mountains to get to Yellowstone, and there are two good routes available, Hwy 16 from Buffalo to Ten Sleep and Worland or Hwy 14 from Ranchester/Dayton to Shell/Greybull. Both are great drives, but if I had to pick only one I think I'd take Hwy 14. And to make it a little more scenic, exit I-90 at Piney Creek Road and visit scenic Story, then stay on that road all the way to Sheridan. It's a nice drive along the foothills and holds a lot of history -- Fort Phil Kearny, Fetterman and Wagon Box battlefields, etc. Again, if you can make the drive in the early morning or late afternoon you'll see lots of deer.

I'll let Elk Hunter tell you about things to check out in Sheridan, Ranchester and/or Dayton, but after leaving them you'll make your ascent into the Bighorns. It's a rather steep climb with lots of switchbacks and offers nice vistas of the plains to the east, sheer cliffs and interesting rock formations. There are some good-sized moose in this area; again, Elk Hunter could probably tell you the best spots to look for them.

Heading down the west slope you'll drop into Shell Canyon, another very scenic area. Look for Shell Falls on your right. It's well marked and has become a bit of a tourist stop.

There's an alternative to this route, however. Just after the climb up the east slope you'll come to Bear Lodge and the intersection with Hwy 14A to Lovell. Which way you go is a toss-up.

Either way, you'll be funneled through Cody, and it's worth a stop. The historic Irma Hotel was built by Buffalo Bill and is a good place to stop for breakfast, lunch or dinner. And if you're into western history at all, don't miss the Buffalo Bill Historical Center ( Home | Buffalo Bill Historical Center (http://www.bbhc.org/home/ - broken link) ). Be forewarned -- it's a first-class museum that can eat away the better part of a day if you're not careful. Plan on at least a couple hours for it.

When I go to Yellowstone I just head from Cody to the East Gate. There's another route that takes you to the Northeast Gate, but I'll leave that route as a part of your visit in Yellowstone if you decide to take it. (Cook City and Red Lodge would also be good side-trips while in Yellowstone -- maybe places to spend a night.)

Of course you'll want to visit West Yellowstone, just past Yellowstone's West Gate, perhaps for another night's lodging, and Teton National Park and Jackson. You'll probably find more moose in that area than in Yellowstone. I'd plan on two or three days for the TNP/Jackson Hole area.

Then take Hwy 287/26 to Dubois and Lander, two more nice little Wyoming towns. There are some great mountains in the area -- ghost towns, a disappearing river, etc., etc. It would be easy to spend another couple days.

That'll give you a start. Enjoy your planning and your trip.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:10 AM

948 posts, read 2,792,743 times
Guernsey State Park/Lake and the town of Hartville.
http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/Site/SiteInfo.asp?siteID= (http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/Site/SiteInfo.asp?siteID=7 - broken link)
Hartville, WY

For scenery you will find a mix of high plains and desert mountain - Hartville is the oldest incorporated town in Wyoming - not much to it but it's unique setting and old buildings make it very photogenic. The Guernsey Lake/state park just nearby gets drained on the 4th of July (Nebraska h20 rights) so you will want to go before that. Also the major coal train stop in Guernsey could make for some interesting photos.
RailPictures.Net » Photo Search Result

Old 01-11-2011, 12:20 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
While in Sheridan I'd suggest visiting the Trail End. It's a mansion on the hill that is now part of the Historical Society. It was built by a cattle baron who later became our Senator. This was his "In town" home. It's preserved as it was back in the very early 1900's.

There is also the Sheridan Inn, built by an adventure by the Railroad and later owned by Buffalo Bill Cody.

When you leave Sheridan and head North on I-90 you'll want to take the Highway 14 exit to Ranchester. Ranchester has a beautiful park that once was the Connor Battle Field (http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/Site/SiteInfo.asp?siteID=13 - broken link). It's a beautiful little park that has the Tongue River running through it. It also has about 20 primitive camping sites if you camp along the way.

When you leave Ranchester and head to Dayton, just before Dayton there is a well marked turn off to Tongue River Canyon. It's a beautiful drive that will only take about 30 minutes. Lots of places to stop and have a picnic. There are also caves to explore.

Head on West of Dayton and you climb up into the Big Horns. On the way up the side of the Mountains you'll see Sand Point (hang gliders) and a little further, you'll see Fallen City off on your left. Lot's of photo opportunities on the way up. Once on top you might see moose, elk, deer and ??? You'll normall find moose at Sibley Lake which is right as you level out on top. I've seen moose there almost every trip I've made. On top, you'll come to Bear Lodge where 14 and 14A split. Best darn burgers you'll find.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:26 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Check out the Red Desert. If you drive in from Wisconsin you can hit the Black Hills, come down through Yellowstone and Grand Teton and then get to Rock Springs from Jackson. While in the Red Desert check out the Boar's Tusk and the Killpecker Sand Dunes (both within an easy drive from Rock Springs). You may also want to check out Adobe Town. Be aware that driving in these areas does require four-wheel drive. When you go to Yellowstone cross the Bighorn Mountains; I've heard they are gorgeous. I have also heard that much of the area around Laramie is nice; I haven't explored it so someone familiar might be able to fill you in on that. Welcome to Wyoming in advance! It's the best state in the nation in my mind.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:38 PM

328 posts, read 655,152 times
wow thank you very much, this is defiantly a lot of help and appreciate everyone who went into great detail to tell me about places to go. I dont have 4 wheel drive, i actually have a sports car that is very low to the ground, but I have no problem hiking a few miles to get some pictures and visit parks and whatnot. I'll find a way to make it work though.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:11 PM

The desert will probably be out if you are driving a sports car. The gravel road is (usually) passable in the summer but you want something high up to drive around on it. There is a parking area of sorts (and the turn is not well-marked) but it would be a long hike to get to the Boar's Tusk and especially the dunes. There is also the wild horse loop near Rock Springs. That road isn't as bad, but I drive a Jeep Liberty with excellent shocks. Use your best judgement if you decide to go to either of these places.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:27 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawk04 View Post
wow thank you very much, this is defiantly a lot of help and appreciate everyone who went into great detail to tell me about places to go. I dont have 4 wheel drive, i actually have a sports car that is very low to the ground, but I have no problem hiking a few miles to get some pictures and visit parks and whatnot. I'll find a way to make it work though.
You could rent a vehicle for the trip and keep those miles off your own. If you venture a little way into Montana you can also visit the Little Bighorn National Battlefield Monument http://www.nps.gov/libi/index.htm

Old 01-11-2011, 08:35 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You could rent a vehicle for the trip and keep those miles off your own. If you venture a little way into Montana you can also visit the Little Bighorn National Battlefield Monument Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)
I was going to suggest the same thing. You should be fine all the way through eastern Wyoming and then if you want to take some trails I might plan on renting a vehicle in Sheridan. Or it may be more cost effective and add to your trip to take the short jaunt to Billings, Montana & rent a 4x4 pickup or SUV there. That way you could go through the Crow Reservation area of SE Wyoming, petroglyphs near Billings, etc. before renting the vehicle. Then you could travel back down to the Sheridan/Buffalo area, go into the Big Horns and have a vehicle to go "off road", and take it on the rest of your trip. I would suggest then going back to Billings from Yellowstone over the Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge, MT, which is about 50 mi from Billings. This highway is spectacular. You will see skiiers skiing off the mountain cliffs mid-summer! Red Lodge is an awesome little quaint town with neat shops & eateries as well. Back in Billings you can head back into Wyo before heading home or just head east, but eastern MT isn't too scenic! If I were you & I could afford to rent a 4x4 I would for sure do it so I could go wherever my little heart desires!

Old 01-11-2011, 09:47 PM

I forgot about the Beartooth Pass and Little Bighorn, good suggestions. Also check out the Medicine Wheel in the Bighorns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming