Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 04:27 PM

632 posts, read 1,517,863 times

Advertisements

We were considering moving to CO last year, but then Weld county instituted emissions, where they were one of the few who previously didn't have it. Hubby is a muscle car collector, so that pretty much eliminated that area.

The only fee I can complain of in WY is the auto registration. My 2009 Pontiac is $600/year. Goes down every year, but maybe I complain more than most because we own so many stinkin' cars to register.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 07:44 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyolady View Post
We were considering moving to CO last year, but then Weld county instituted emissions, where they were one of the few who previously didn't have it. Hubby is a muscle car collector, so that pretty much eliminated that area.

The only fee I can complain of in WY is the auto registration. My 2009 Pontiac is $600/year. Goes down every year, but maybe I complain more than most because we own so many stinkin' cars to register.
Complain all you want to. I'm not sure if it will do any good other then you feel better.

I own a 1985 Ford Pickup. I pay $119 a year. Why? They say it goes by year and weight. Ok, drop me off for now. I mean, be real. I drive an old truck because that's all I can afford. So drop your registration fees or I can't come to town to get grocerys. I drive it about 500 miles a year. The rest of the time I drive my 4 wheeler.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:08 PM

448 posts, read 1,198,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsman48 View Post
So, that's where that attitude came from

Nope, the warrant is still there. Since 2000 all paper records were computerized. Which means if you get pulled over for speeding in Colo, that record is in the database - they'll arrest you.

Taxes in Colorado are nothing compared to the "fees" in Wyoming. My advice for the OP is to go down to Colorado where there's little wind except on the Eastern prairies. Job hunting will be easier and the weather more enjoyable.
Gotta' emember what differentiate's taxes from user fees...........taxes are essentially taken from you at the end of a "gun" by politicians, OTOH..... fees allow YOU to chose what services you utilize and don't. I'm moving to big Wyoming in several years because of this type of freedom.

My stance on this.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Sheridan has little or no wind. I keep track of the weather as I'm a weather spotter for NOAA. I can give you the data for Sheridan and area. Wind is not a problem.

Sheridan is a nice little town of 15,800 people. We have an extension of the college here so you can get the first 2 years knocked out.

I lived in Colorado once. You'd have to be a pretty big boy to make me move back there again. I absolutely hated it. Tax'd to death. I went down to help out a friend and was only there for 30 days. They told me I owed $168 in taxes. So I paid it and left. 6 months later they sent me a letter telling me the $168 was only for half of the year, I owed the other half. Said they had a warrant out for me. Well, I guess they still do cause I didn't and won't pay it. hahahaha That was in 1974. Maybe they forgot it by now.

When you go on the Wyoming Forum, you are going to find biased people. We live here because we like it here.

Sheridan, Gillette, Casper all have extensions of the college. Gilette and Casper also have wind. Sheridan doesn't.
If it werent for being along the Interstate and a bit big/town, for us some years down the road..........Sheridan is a great place to land I'd think. As much can be read about the place at this site. Top of the bill as our tour presented; actually our first pick of towns!

Later,
Mike

Old 02-27-2011, 10:24 AM

61 posts, read 215,963 times
Default Lander might be an option

Lander officially has the lowest wind speed in Wyoming and is a beautiful community. However, there is not alot to do here in terms of employment unless you're looking for minimum wage or working for the government in some capacity. Since you're used to hard winters, I won't go on about those. Rental housing is in short supply but Riverton has more. Good luck with your search.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:38 AM

363 posts, read 1,043,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'toasquarestate View Post
Gotta' emember what differentiate's taxes from user fees...........taxes are essentially taken from you at the end of a "gun" by politicians, OTOH..... fees allow YOU to chose what services you utilize and don't. I'm moving to big Wyoming in several years because of this type of freedom.

My stance on this.
Use fee or road tax is the same thing. You can choose to drive or not, but the limiting factor is you're not going to find a city bus or rail service in 98% of the state.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:13 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,567 times
no rail service ? but...I thought 'The Almighty-O' promised to CHANGE that ? ? ?

But seriously...if commuter-trains DID by some strange act of congress, or odd alignment of the planets, then I'm gonna say Thermopolis would be the town to move to...got a nice cute little station already right there...it's been waitin' for Amtrack to get thier act together for many years now...to bring the masses to the hot-pools...

...and it's still waitin...

Old 02-28-2011, 06:24 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
Years ago my Grand Dad was on the Sanitation board(Livestock Board) he could work all day go out to Cokeville get on the train the next morning get off in Cheyenne for a day of meetings get on the tain that night and be home the next morning. Now if I have a meeting in Ceyenne it a days drive there a day of meeting a late start and a days drive home.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsman48 View Post
Use fee or road tax is the same thing. You can choose to drive or not, but the limiting factor is you're not going to find a city bus or rail service in 98% of the state.
Yep.............agree on that, I've no problem driving and paying that "user fee" in a state where you must drive to get from here to there.

In Oregon, nickel and dime is the way this state keeps us under the thumbnail of state government and it's nanny state politics. Anxious to GTHO of here baby!

Feel honored to live in big Wyoming folks. Warm clothes are sold for the lond cold winters there.

That's all

Old 03-01-2011, 03:23 PM

363 posts, read 1,043,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
no rail service ? but...I thought 'The Almighty-O' promised to CHANGE that ? ? ?

But seriously...if commuter-trains DID by some strange act of congress, or odd alignment of the planets, then I'm gonna say Thermopolis would be the town to move to...got a nice cute little station already right there...it's been waitin' for Amtrack to get thier act together for many years now...to bring the masses to the hot-pools...

...and it's still waitin...
That's the almighty ZERO!

There used to be passenger service across the plains thru Wyoming and into Salt Lake a long time ago, and it was supposed to be re-vitalized but your good Senators killed it dead hummingbirdminds: Wyoming's senators oppose passenger rail revival

The one going across Southern Montana was killed and the northern route selected instead. Now about 2006, the RMRA wanted to run trains from Cheyenne to the NM ski resorts. That never got past the hearing stage.

That little town of Thermop has a lot more going for it, than you'd think. It was a fav overnight destination for us when we were in the area. The Safari Room at the old HI had the best meals in the region.

As the price of fuels continue to rise, Amtrak will be getting more business - cuz it's cheaper to take the train than drive or fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming