Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:28 PM

17 posts, read 52,502 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have applied for teaching jobs with the school districts in Cody and Powell and was wondering if anyone can give me any tips or advice for moving to WY?

I grew up in a SMALL (2,000) town in AK and moved to WA about 8 years ago. I graduated with my Master in Teaching degree 2 years ago and have yet been able to get a full time teaching job in WA so I have started looking into Wyoming and possibly Idaho.

I have never been to Wyoming before, but my kids and I will be traveling to Idaho and Western Wyoming over spring break.

I am mostly looking at the western portion of Wyoming for teaching job.

Is it hard to find a rental in this area? I am not in a position to buy and this time and would be looking to rent, preferably a townhouse/house with 3 bedrooms.

Any other advice about the area would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 09:49 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
there alot of post here on what you looking for,,,do a search...

Old 03-02-2011, 07:30 AM

52 posts, read 178,773 times
you may want to research other towns

Old 03-03-2011, 11:45 PM

Any reason why I may want to research other towns? I've been looking at a few different places, just trying to see where I might have the opportunity to get a teaching job and raise my kids.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:08 AM

just type Cody in the Search Forums at the top of the page and you get everything on this site about Cody

Old 03-05-2011, 11:52 PM

I did and I looked through some of the posts. I was responding to

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd1967 View Post

If there was a specific reason why I might NOT want to move to Cody if a job comes up.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:51 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,174,164 times
Personally, if I were you, I wouldn't limit myself to just one area... I applied to several school districts all over Wyoming and only had one interview last year. As for good places for your kids to grow up, there are more than just the touristy Cody/Powell areas to choose from but also some less desirable places. As previous posters have stated, search the WY forums for ideas. What specifically do you teach? Are there only jobs for your discipline in Cody and Powell?

Old 03-06-2011, 01:06 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desileigh View Post
I did and I looked through some of the posts. I was responding to

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd1967
If there was a specific reason why I might NOT want to move to Cody if a job comes up.
Cody and Powell are both nice places. No reason to not accept a job at either one. Many people would consider themselves fortunate to get a job in either place.

I think what james meant was you'd improve your chances of finding a job if you expanded your search. I would definitely consider Dubois, Lander, Sheridan and Buffalo on my short list of nice places to live and work.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:19 PM

or Afton, Cokeville

Old 03-06-2011, 06:27 PM

Thank you. I am not limiting to just Cody, Powell. I have been looking at a site that posts all job openings within Wyoming and then I investigate those areas as well to see if it might be a good fit.
I have also applied with the school district in Jackson, however, the cost of living there seems to be really high, so not sure if that would be possible.

I would prefer the part of Wyoming close to the west and by the mountains and not in the flat part of the state.

Thanks for the list of cities that you prefer I will look into them. I don't think I have seen any jobs in those areas yet.

I am certified in Elementary Education K-8, but would prefer something 4th and under.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming