Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 05:27 AM

14 posts, read 48,491 times

Advertisements

Ditto on Elk Mountain and Arlington. Just take your time. November *usually* isn't too bad of a month to travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 08:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,776 posts, read 58,241,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Your Interstate alternatives in winter are I-70 through Colorado--no picnic in bad weather, ... I-90 through Montana and northern Wyoming has less traffic, but can blizzard, too (and can have a lot colder temperatures than the I-80 corridor). From Seattle to Ohio, I'd probably take I-90 and drop south somewhere in the Midwest.
You can check a 10 - 14 day forecast and get rough idea. I think the I-90 rte would be more scenic (having driven I -80 through Wyo during a 7 yr driving career + about 25 times since; - commuting PDX to Ft Col.) I-80 Evanston, WY to Kearney, NE can be really wicked (Oct - Apr) , and pretty barren terrain.

I would do I-90, drop to I-80 at Sioux Falls (I-29) That is because I like NW MT, and Sheridan, WY and the Black Hills of WY / SD (all are a bonus with this route).

or I-70; which is less remote, with very pretty side trips, (Glenwood Spr, Colo. area / Leadville / Breckenridge. Off I-70, I would consider missing Denver in lieu of a better view...via Leadville, Buena Vista, Col Springs , Limon (warning I-70 can be rough - Limon, CO to Salina, Ks

You can check your weather, and pick your poison. (any of these routes have potential risks. I bought a car on the internet last winter, and flew to Mn/St-Paul, and drove back in blizzard all the way to Yakima, WA (I-94/90) it only took a few extra hrs, but no roads were closed, just lots of wrecks and stuck trucks). It is really not a tough thing, (don't tense up or make sudden moves with brakes, gas, or steering, and ALWAYS look ahead for need to speed up (snow covered bridges, hills, passing) or slow down (ice / corners / traffic) ) in fact I like driving in snow as it keeps me awake. The snow in the mountain and prairie states is usually very light and actually gives much better traction than the wet stuff SEA or Ohio gets. Plus the sun or a Chinook wind can melt the snow in a hurry. (not the case in SEA and OH...) I never bought snow tires while living in Mtn states, but Studded tires are required in the ice storms of the PNW, and cleats for walking to the mailbox...

I recommend decent tires, a set of cable chains, and a full car service including belts, hoses, and especially wipers and fuel filter (ice will shut those items down at most inopportune places.) Use a gas additive to keep water out, fill in the evenings so tank doesn't sit empty overnight (you should be doing that in Seattle anyway... condensation is not good on fuel systems). keep tank on the top half if possible for more weight and safety margin if stranded.

Take a few candles, as they will keep you from freezing to death (crack a window if stranded). also blankets, and water and food. I also like to carry flares and a couple of those orange bicycle flags in case the car gets covered in snow. The snow plow drivers will thank you for that !

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-04-2007 at 08:24 PM..

Old 08-05-2007, 05:03 PM

160 posts, read 631,999 times
Default Thnx

Thanks again for all of the info !!! I guess my concern is just the fact that we literally have no experience driving in the snow. We live in HI and are originally from FL . . . so not much snow exposure. However, we still have a few weeks before the trip - so we will take all of your advice and figure it out. Of course - if anyone has anymore comments - I am always ready to listen.

BTW - someone said that Wyoming is the only state were people would actually stop and help you out . . . . that is great. Sounds like you guys have a wonderful state !!!!

Old 08-06-2007, 10:54 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,070,192 times
For your trip through Nebraska, Highway 34 runs parallel to the interstate. If the weathers bad and the semi's are scaring the crap out of you just turn off at any exit and go north, you'll hit the highway. The road won't be as clear, but there's a ton less traffic because people driving through aren't aware of it. I drove home this way one spring. You can drive the speed you want and not worry about trucks flying past you.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:11 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,121,353 times
Besides HIgirl, as we have learned. It does not snow in Wyoming. It snows in Montana and blows across to Colorado. Course some of it gets trapped. And then it don't melt. The wind just blows it around till it wears it out.

Been some good advice given. Just be aware of your surroundings, know how far the next town is and what kind of town it is. By that I mean that although the map has a little dot, doesn't mean that town has a service station, or even a restaurant or motel.

Years ago, I bought a AAA hand held computer. $19.95. You can plug in whatever road you are on and what mile marker you are at and then you can ask it anything by pressing a button. For instance, where's the next rest area, next motel, next service station, next hospital etc... It will give you the mile marker to it's exit and then driving directions on getting there. It will also provide phone numbers and such.

Although in a lot of states, cell phone is advisable. However, in Wyoming, we're still pretty primitive. Although it's getting better, there is a lot of area that cell can't get a signal. So keep that in mind.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
For your trip through Nebraska, Highway 34 runs parallel to the interstate. If the weathers bad and the semi's are scaring the crap out of you just turn off at any exit and go north, you'll hit the highway. The road won't be as clear, but there's a ton less traffic because people driving through aren't aware of it. I drove home this way one spring. You can drive the speed you want and not worry about trucks flying past you.
Did you mean Highway 30?

Old 08-06-2007, 03:48 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,070,192 times
Yes of course, Highway 30. It's 34 on the north side over by Aurora where I'm from.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
Yes of course, Highway 30. It's 34 on the north side over by Aurora where I'm from.
hahaha Although I lived in Nebraska for a while, I was up around Gordon. So I was not aware that there was a parralell road to I-80 and that's important stuff to know. So I dug out the atlas and looked and looked and finally found 34. Didn't appear to be what you was thinking. haha

Old 09-19-2007, 09:10 AM

25 posts, read 79,974 times
Thumbs down it sure does snow in wyoming!

[quote=jgussler;1219813]Besides HIgirl, as we have learned. It does not snow in Wyoming. It snows in Montana and blows across to Colorado. Course some of it gets trapped. And then it don't melt. The wind just blows it around till it wears it out.

where the heck do you get your info that it doesnt snow in wyoming?

i live along I-80 in this godforsaken state and it snows like hell all the time.

its windy, barren and a horrible state along I-80 the whole way. and in the winter it snows so hard they often shut I-80 down.

what do you mean by your statement that;
"It snows in Montana and blows across to Colorado. Course some of it gets trapped. And then it don't melt. The wind just blows it around till it wears it out"

must be nice to have such a simple mind

Old 09-19-2007, 10:06 AM

144 posts, read 628,810 times
[quote=cactusjuice67;1531211]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Besides HIgirl, as we have learned. It does not snow in Wyoming. It snows in Montana and blows across to Colorado. Course some of it gets trapped. And then it don't melt. The wind just blows it around till it wears it out.

where the heck do you get your info that it doesnt snow in wyoming?

i live along I-80 in this godforsaken state and it snows like hell all the time.

its windy, barren and a horrible state along I-80 the whole way. and in the winter it snows so hard they often shut I-80 down.

what do you mean by your statement that;
"It snows in Montana and blows across to Colorado. Course some of it gets trapped. And then it don't melt. The wind just blows it around till it wears it out"

must be nice to have such a simple mind
In the immortal words of Foghorn Leghorn:

"I say...I say -- It's a JOKE, son"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming