Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2011, 11:06 AM

278 posts, read 606,176 times

Advertisements

In the State of Wyoming, who is responsible for the cost of the brand inspection fees with the sale of a horse. In the past with the sale of several of my horses, this was always paid for by the seller.

Also, what happens if the brand inspector is not present at the time of the sale? I do understand that the buyer is responsible for obtaining the brand inspection within 7 days.

I have lived in various counties around the state, and it would seem that every brand inspector seems has his own interpretation of the rule.

Is there a written interpretation on brand inspections? This site doesn't really answer my questions. I guess I need to contact the Wyoming livestock board. (http://wlsb.state.wy.us/Brands/UNDER...%20PROGRAM.pdf)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 11:24 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Typically, the cost of the brand inspection of a horse for sale is borne by the seller who owns the horse. Of course, there's nothing to preclude a buyer agreeing to pay the cost of the brand inspection ... but the brand inspection is to the benefit of the owner/seller, not the buyer at that point in time. There's no legal requirement as to who pays for the brand inspection; the only concern of the inspector is that the Livestock Board get paid for the services.

After the horse is sold, the new owner is responsible for getting the new brand inspection showing their ownership.

Not sure what you mean if the brand inspector is not present at the time of the sale ... I've never had the brand inspector there when I delivered the horse and paperwork (health certificate, brand inspection papers, coggins certificate, and bill of sale) to a new owner. What counts is that you've got all the necessary paperwork to show a title trail of ownership to the horse and the transfer to the new owner so they can get the horse in their ownership.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:37 PM

278 posts, read 606,176 times
I think that you answered the question the best that it could be answered. When I mentioned what happens if the brand inspector is not present, was because years ago in Sweetwater county, and in Park county, the brand inspectors wanted to be present during the sale. Not the same for Uinta county. I could have a horse in my possession, tell the brand inspector that it was "ranch raised" and he would write me a brand inspection, not knowing or caring who actually sold me the horse. Thanks again sunsprit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming