Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 04:51 PM

12 posts, read 18,663 times

Advertisements

I do try and find most answers by using the search but I'm having a bit of trouble figuring use tax or what ever it may be for vehicles. I think I get the yearly plate/registration fees. With my 1971 pickup it wouldn't be to bad for the registration. But it seems there is a use tax that can be about $600 or so. Is this a yearly tax or a one time tax paid on a new title. Ive read the WY dmv site that says I have to title my vehicle in WY (from OH), some posts Ive read say you don't have to. Either way, I just want a ballpark idea of the total cost for the first year and every one after to be legal. Thank you for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 05:27 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,193,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear1 View Post
I do try and find most answers by using the search but I'm having a bit of trouble figuring use tax or what ever it may be for vehicles. I think I get the yearly plate/registration fees. With my 1971 pickup it wouldn't be to bad for the registration. But it seems there is a use tax that can be about $600 or so. Is this a yearly tax or a one time tax paid on a new title. Ive read the WY dmv site that says I have to title my vehicle in WY (from OH), some posts Ive read say you don't have to. Either way, I just want a ballpark idea of the total cost for the first year and every one after to be legal. Thank you for any help.
Fees will vary county by county, so the best answer is to call the County
Treasurer's office with your vehicle description and they can tell you the amount that will be owed.

Wyoming requires a Wyoming Motor Vehicle Title to license a vehicle; however, you don't have to obtain a full legal title to the vehicle you want to register. All you need is the $15 "non-transferrable Wyoming title" which suffices for the registration requirements, obtained from the County Clerk. At some county clerk offices, you will have to ask for the non-transferrable title because they assume that you want a full legal Wyoming title which will cost you more in fees ... because they have to do all the title search to be sure a vehicle isn't stolen, etc. You will use that non-transferrable title for Wyoming registration purposes only, and when you sell or transfer your vehicle, you'll use your Ohio Motor Vehicle Title which confers the ownership of the vehicle in your name.

As far as fees go ... here's a guideline for you:

My 1996 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins TurboDiesel in Laramie County just cost me $124 for renewal. That includes all the county fees, lic fees, ownership fees, etc. A vehicle of this age has dropped to the bottom of the use tax fees based upon the original manufacturer's sticker price regardless of what you paid for it, either new or used.

Where these stories come from about "$600" Wyoming use fees on older vehicles is pure BS. The only way you'll see a high number is on the SALES TAX which varies by county. This is collected one time on a Wyoming registration by the County Clerk when a vehicle is purchased or brought in to the State when purchased elsewhere and sales taxes were not collected; ie, any sales tax collected by another state will be applied to the Wyoming sales tax due.

For the most part, a Wyoming resident buying a vehicle out of state would decline to pay that state's sales taxes on the purchase by declaring that the vehicle is leaving the state to be registered in Wyoming.

For example, I recently purchased a 1993 Class B RV in New Mexico, and obtained a temp NM license (with my Wyoming motor vehicle insurance to make all legal) and drove it home. Upon receiving the title paperwork signed over to me a couple weeks later, I went to my county offices and paid the County Clerk the title fees and the 6% sales tax on the purchase price (less my trade-in). Then I went across the hall and transferred the remaining license fees of my then current plate on my traded vehicle ... which cost me all of $17.44 in addition to the fees I had previously paid on it of $134.00 for the year.

Your pick-up truck is unlikely to cost more than $150 to license for a year, and probably a lot less in much of Wyoming counties.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:41 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,896 times
interesting; my worn-out 92 half-ton Silverado costs $125 a year to register here in Wyo; no matter which region I 'just' happen to be working/living in when it come's time to re-do my plates.

...and yes, I've never been req'd to pay 'use-tax' or extra fee above and beyond what the orig factory sticker-price was.

People bringing late-model vehicles here though ? mmmyeah...you get RAPED...and I mean BADLY !

Sometimes is pays to buy something used, and learn to do all the maint yourself...you get your knuckles skinned and bloody, but it 'bloody well' pay's off in the end !

Old 12-22-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
interesting; my worn-out 92 half-ton Silverado costs $125 a year to register here in Wyo; no matter which region I 'just' happen to be working/living in when it come's time to re-do my plates.

...and yes, I've never been req'd to pay 'use-tax' or extra fee above and beyond what the orig factory sticker-price was.

People bringing late-model vehicles here though ? mmmyeah...you get RAPED...and I mean BADLY !

Sometimes is pays to buy something used, and learn to do all the maint yourself...you get your knuckles skinned and bloody, but it 'bloody well' pay's off in the end !
This is what I mean about the "rumour" posts ... OK, I don't know exactly what you consider a "late model", but when I bought my several year old 2001 Subaru Outback Wagon ... the license/use/registration fees were a total of:

$123.85!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The sales tax of 6%, of course, was a one-time tax on the purchase that had to be paid. I don't know of any state where a sales tax is paid on a motor vehicle purchase where that fee isn't collected ... so Wyoming isn't exactly a tax trap on a motor vehicle purchase. Perhaps it seems more painful in Wyoming because the sales tax is collected in a lump sum at the County Clerk's office instead of rolled into a package that may be financed at a dealer so it becomes a hidden line item instead of writing a check when you go for your title work.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:41 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
I've bought vehicles in California, Texas, South Dakota, Virginia, South Carolina, Colorado and Wyoming. All of them had the sales tax rolled into the contract and I paid at the dealer, except South Dakota and Wyoming. South Dakota asked if I wanted it rolled in or if I wanted to pay at the court house. Of course, Wyoming gives you no choice but to pay when you pick up your title and plates, so yes, it seemed like a shocker, but the actual sales tax was no more or no less then anywhere else, just separate so it seemed nasty.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:40 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,896 times
"This is what I mean about the "rumour" posts ... OK, I don't know exactly what you consider a "late model", but when I bought my several year old 2001 Subaru Outback Wagon ... the license/use/registration fees were a total of:"

mmm-kay...well ANYWAYS....what I was tryin' to say is that LATE model (ie: N.E.W.E.R. vehicles ?) generally cost more than OLDER vehicles, and thus the sticker-price is 'generally' higher than said 'older' vehicles and you're GOING to pay higher taxes in order to register them in Wyo; or ANY state for that matter.

Not sure what (if any) part of that would be 'confusing' to you; perhaps you can afford to pay those fee$...but there ya go.

In any case, I hope everybody is staying warm, happy, and enjoying a 'stress-free' get-together with friends & family.

Let's hope 2012 is better than 2011.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:37 AM

12 posts, read 18,663 times
OK. I think I get it. In the end it doesn't seem much different then any other place. Thank you and merry Christmas.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
"This is what I mean about the "rumour" posts ... OK, I don't know exactly what you consider a "late model", but when I bought my several year old 2001 Subaru Outback Wagon ... the license/use/registration fees were a total of:"

mmm-kay...well ANYWAYS....what I was tryin' to say is that LATE model (ie: N.E.W.E.R. vehicles ?) generally cost more than OLDER vehicles, and thus the sticker-price is 'generally' higher than said 'older' vehicles and you're GOING to pay higher taxes in order to register them in Wyo; or ANY state for that matter.

Not sure what (if any) part of that would be 'confusing' to you; perhaps you can afford to pay those fee$...but there ya go.

In any case, I hope everybody is staying warm, happy, and enjoying a 'stress-free' get-together with friends & family.

Let's hope 2012 is better than 2011.
c'mon, Ltdumbear ... there's no ambiguity or confusion in your statement that folks bringing newer (late model) vehicles into Wyoming are gonna' "get raped" on fees.

Absent you having any information to support that statement of somebody getting hit with exceptionally high user and registration fees, I call BS on your post. It's pretty consistent that you'll pay more in most states for a newer vehicle if the user fees are based upon manufacturer's sticker price rather than based upon vehicle weight as some states do to determine use fees.

And I've been there with more than one vehicle of fairly newer status bought out of state and brought into Wyoming, including cars, motorcycles, and stock trailers. Never was I "raped" on the registration or user fees ... but I did have to pay the 6% sales tax for the transaction as a one time payment to the County Clerk. As a basis of comparison, I didn't pay that much less on my motor vehicles for license/registration/owner use tax on my vehicles in Colorado, either. And I paid more in sales tax in Colorado than in Wyoming ....

If you want to start citing states with high motor vehicle fees, you might want to look at CA, WA ... and many others where the cost of registering a motor vehicle can get rather pricey.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:58 AM

42 posts, read 97,163 times
Hello - I've been following this thread and a few others on registering out of state vehicles when a person moves to Wyoming. Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet, but I'm still a little confused.

We live in Montana and are planning to move to Wyoming in the next year or two, depending on when we can get our place here sold. What I've gathered so far is that you pay $15 for a non-transferrable title so you can then register the vehicle and obtain Wyoming plates. Then you pay a yearly registration fee, which goes down as the vehicle ages. You would pay a 6% sales tax on each vehicle, based on the original sales price, but if you originally paid more than 6% in the State you bought it, you would owe nothing, right?

We have a 2007 ATV that we bought in MT, which has no sales tax. And we bought a 2007 Utility trailer to haul it around on - no sales tax. So we will get hit with a 6% sales tax on these? Montana has a one time permanent registration fee for the ATV and trailer....we paid those to DMV the year we bought them....never had to pay registration fees for them again. Does WY have a similar program or do you have to pay yearly reg. fees for your ATV's and trailers?

Have a 2002 Toyota Tundra 4WD - last years reg fee was $167
Have a 1998 Toyota 4Runner - last years reg fee was $78

How does this compare to WY? Thanks for any input!

Old 12-25-2011, 10:15 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowSand View Post
Hello - I've been following this thread and a few others on registering out of state vehicles when a person moves to Wyoming. Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet, but I'm still a little confused.

We live in Montana and are planning to move to Wyoming in the next year or two, depending on when we can get our place here sold. What I've gathered so far is that you pay $15 for a non-transferrable title so you can then register the vehicle and obtain Wyoming plates. Then you pay a yearly registration fee, which goes down as the vehicle ages. You would pay a 6% sales tax on each vehicle, based on the original sales price, but if you originally paid more than 6% in the State you bought it, you would owe nothing, right?

We have a 2007 ATV that we bought in MT, which has no sales tax. And we bought a 2007 Utility trailer to haul it around on - no sales tax. So we will get hit with a 6% sales tax on these? Montana has a one time permanent registration fee for the ATV and trailer....we paid those to DMV the year we bought them....never had to pay registration fees for them again. Does WY have a similar program or do you have to pay yearly reg. fees for your ATV's and trailers?

Have a 2002 Toyota Tundra 4WD - last years reg fee was $167
Have a 1998 Toyota 4Runner - last years reg fee was $78

How does this compare to WY? Thanks for any input!
Unfortunately, Wyoming does not have a Permanent Registration available. You will have to pay annually on the anniversary of first registration in Wyoming. Yes, you will pay 6% on the ATV and the Trailer. Because you have owned it for a while, I think they go by blue book price, not original purchase price, but I could be wrong.

I'll let somebody else answer the question on Non Transferable title, I am not familiar with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming