Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 08:04 AM

69 posts, read 175,300 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am from NC and have just started on this forum so I am not sure I am doing this right. We are considering a move, jobs are getting hard to find in NC we have huge layoffs and shut downs and for every business that comes to NC we lose 3 or 4. I was laid off 2 years ago took advantage of a program that helped me go to school and I still can't find a job same thing happened to my boyfriend he will be finished with school in May. We both took a computer program called Cyber Crime and I also have a Paralegal degree, but it seems you now need a bacholers degree to answer the phone and greet clients. I am using resources like Careerbuilders.com and Monster.com and the local employment offices but no luck. I understand Wyoming is booming, and thought a change may be good for us, any information and thoughts would be appreciated. I went on the Michigan formum and was told to stay put no jobs there at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2006, 08:17 AM

246 posts, read 329,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel View Post
Hi everyone, I am from NC and have just started on this forum so I am not sure I am doing this right. We are considering a move, jobs are getting hard to find in NC we have huge layoffs and shut downs and for every business that comes to NC we lose 3 or 4. I was laid off 2 years ago took advantage of a program that helped me go to school and I still can't find a job same thing happened to my boyfriend he will be finished with school in May. We both took a computer program called Cyber Crime and I also have a Paralegal degree, but it seems you now need a bacholers degree to answer the phone and greet clients. I am using resources like Careerbuilders.com and Monster.com and the local employment offices but no luck. I understand Wyoming is booming, and thought a change may be good for us, any information and thoughts would be appreciated. I went on the Michigan formum and was told to stay put no jobs there at all.
Unless you're a petroleum engineer or know your way around a coal bed, the only booming in Wyoming is construction. One more winter should fix that.

Magpies

Old 09-12-2006, 09:29 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
Magpies, why do you say that one more winter should fix the construction boom? Do you think things will slow down over there in the housing market, too? It almost seems like Wyo. doesn't have enough homes to meet the needs of their people. Is this true? Just so you know, I'm your neighbor to the east so I really am curious.

Tarheel, have you checked out Sioux Falls, So. Dak? They may have the type of jobs that you are looking for.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:12 AM

No I haven't checked out SD yet, I have just started looking into moving since it will be next year before we can go. We are just feeling things out, our family and friends are here in NC but we realize sometimes things need to change. I have had several post from another state who encourage me to stay here and go to bigger cities, well since I live here I know what the bigger cities are offering. We have been through alot in the last few years and just think a change maybe good. We would miss everyone so much but sometimes you just need to follow a different path.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:34 AM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,255,225 times
Default jobs in wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpiesMagpiesMagpies View Post
Unless you're a petroleum engineer or know your way around a coal bed, the only booming in Wyoming is construction. One more winter should fix that.

Magpies
I guess I don't understand your comment. I am not a petroleum engineer, nor do I live in a mining/gas town but there are lots of jobs here. My son who is a junior in high school has a part time job making $12.50/hr. My husband does work in Gillette with CBM and makes great money and loves his job. What do you mean - one more winter. I take it you're not a native. There are more people than there are places to live. In Pinedale there are people living in tents. In Gillette there are people living in RV's because there is no housing. The company my husband works for bought an apartment building and they are building a second building because they need employees but there is no place to live.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:36 AM
MHT

Default jobs in wyoming

Wanted to add that if you have a clean driving record and a clean drug test there are 50 job openings in the small town where I live - according to the local WorkForce center. The average pay for these jobs is $18.00/hr.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:40 AM

It seems everyone has a different opinion, I would love to consider Wyoming, it sounds like there are jobs, but that maybe they need some contractors to build houses. What is the situtation with that is the population growing faster than they can build or is there another problem.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:42 AM

246 posts, read 329,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHT View Post
I guess I don't understand your comment. I am not a petroleum engineer, nor do I live in a mining/gas town but there are lots of jobs here. My son who is a junior in high school has a part time job making $12.50/hr. My husband does work in Gillette with CBM and makes great money and loves his job. What do you mean - one more winter. I take it you're not a native. There are more people than there are places to live. In Pinedale there are people living in tents. In Gillette there are people living in RV's because there is no housing. The company my husband works for bought an apartment building and they are building a second building because they need employees but there is no place to live.
One more winter and the housing boom will be over. Not just Wyo., but everywhere.

Nobody said that there were no jobs in Wyoming, but a boom implies rapid growth. The only sectors in Wyoming that fit that description is oil, coal and construction. So tell me where I'm wrong?

Magpies

Old 09-12-2006, 10:44 AM
MHT

Default wyoming

The population is growing faster than they can build because of the oil, gas, coal boom. There are so many jobs. My husband is working 70 hours a week because they are so short-handed but between the housing shortage, and finding someone who can pass their drug test, and has a clean driving record it's tough. There is no other problem.

I'm from Montana. Lived in CA and MN. Now in Wyoming. We're very happy here. Won't leave WY.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:59 AM

4 posts, read 12,828 times
There are many cities and towns in wyoming that are booming on the job front and not just for engineers. Basin Electric is hiring and the BNSF railroad as well. Gillette has 3 coal plants that hiring and not just for engineers or drivers but for administrative help as well. The schools are also looking for teachers and other personnel. The wind does blow and it can get quite cold but it is the Mountains and is very beautiful. Housing is booming as well, the City of Gillette has just platted 1000 lots for building. This year so far they have issued 246 building permits. Depending on your price range you can find something but you need to give yourself some time to look. Many employers also offer down payment assistance programs to those who qualify. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming