Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 AM

17 posts, read 81,438 times

Advertisements

Traveling to Idaho through northern Wyoming this weekend (May 6th). Thinking of saving some time/expense by taking the Sheridan-Cody-Yellowstone route versus Sheridan-Billings-Butte-Idaho Falls route. I realize that weather and tourist traffic are to be dealt with in Yellowstone, but what are your opinions? Is this a worthwhile consideration? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by LGinIA; 05-01-2012 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: more info in subject
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 09:34 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,294,158 times
If I need to go to Cody from the south I will always go thru Yellowstone if I can cuts of whay more then a hour even with the lower speed limits

Old 05-01-2012, 10:14 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,574 times
The roads are open now, and even thought it has been snowing I haven't heard that there are any delays. You may want to check beforehand to make sure you are clear to go across the park. A friend of mine went on Sunday and said it was fine.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:10 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,317,255 times
You will never regret taking the route through Yellowstone...the only risk would be a snow storm.

Should see some Elk and Deer...I expect the Grizzleys to be in hibernation.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:10 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,896 times
There will be RV's (snowbirds coming north) to deal with in (and around) the Park, and the gas-prices at every town on the outskirts of Yellowstone will be almost un-rea$onable to a point; FORGET about filling-up IN the park...it'll be insane...and for no other reason other than 'because they CAN'.

The downside of going through Montana is dealing with all the semi's hurtling-along at ludicrous speeds.

Myself ? I would go from Sheridan, to Dayton (over the Bighorns) to Burgess Junction, turn left and head down through Shell, onwards to Greybull, south to Worland, west to Thermopolis (stop for a night and soak for an hour or so at the hot-pools), shower up and continue on south through Wind River Canyon, turn right at Shoshoni, head to Riverton, head west to Dubois and over Togwotee Pass, south into Jackson (stop and have someone take a few quick pictures of you (and family?) sitting in the saddles while enjoying a quick brewski at the 'Cowboy Bar') then continue south to Hoback Junction (or continue over Teton-Pass, whichever pleases you) and turn right to go to Alpine Junction, turn right and head to Swan Valley...and then you're in Idaho....and you've enjoyed ALOT of FREE scenery along the way, with little or no 'RV-traffic' IN your way.

But that's just me

:: shruggs ::

Old 05-01-2012, 01:01 PM

774 posts, read 2,583,222 times
The road from Cody into the park is scheduled to open Friday, May 4. Snow is forecast for the weekend for the interior of the park - up to maybe 1 inch, they say, on Sunday. I've been in the park with far more snow on the ground so they won't close roads for an inch.

It should be a beautiful drive through there. If it were me, I'd definitely go this route.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:03 PM

774 posts, read 2,583,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
You will never regret taking the route through Yellowstone...the only risk would be a snow storm.

Should see some Elk and Deer...I expect the Grizzleys to be in hibernation.

Grizzlies are already out of hibernation. The males have been out on the North Fork of the Shoshone since March. The sows have been out for a few weeks. There have been a number of reports of griz activity in the park as well.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:43 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
There will be RV's (snowbirds coming north) to deal with in (and around) the Park, and the gas-prices at every town on the outskirts of Yellowstone will be almost un-rea$onable to a point; FORGET about filling-up IN the park...it'll be insane...and for no other reason other than 'because they CAN'.

The downside of going through Montana is dealing with all the semi's hurtling-along at ludicrous speeds.

Myself ? I would go from Sheridan, to Dayton (over the Bighorns) to Burgess Junction, turn left and head down through Shell, onwards to Greybull, south to Worland, west to Thermopolis (stop for a night and soak for an hour or so at the hot-pools), shower up and continue on south through Wind River Canyon, turn right at Shoshoni, head to Riverton, head west to Dubois and over Togwotee Pass, south into Jackson (stop and have someone take a few quick pictures of you (and family?) sitting in the saddles while enjoying a quick brewski at the 'Cowboy Bar') then continue south to Hoback Junction (or continue over Teton-Pass, whichever pleases you) and turn right to go to Alpine Junction, turn right and head to Swan Valley...and then you're in Idaho....and you've enjoyed ALOT of FREE scenery along the way, with little or no 'RV-traffic' IN your way.

But that's just me

:: shruggs ::
I agree that this would be a wonderful trip with a lot to see, but it is a much longer route than going through the park. Even considering if there is a bit of snow or any traffic (shouldn't be much) through the park it would still take a lot less time than the roundabout way described if you are looking for the shortest route.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:32 PM

17 posts, read 81,438 times
Default Travel through Yellowstone May 6th?

Thanks everyone for the helpful information. We will give the Sheridan-Cody-Yellowstone-Idaho path a go this weekend. I appreciate your input and look forward to the drive through the park.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:05 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
Sheridan, Burgess, Shell to Cody is a good run. Sheridan to Bugess to Lovell is a no go, the road is still closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming