Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2012, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,262 times

Advertisements

Well, I just accepted a job offer to move to Cheyenne. Considering I had never stepped foot in the city prior to last week, I have no idea what to expect. So here are a few questions:

Are there any neighborhoods that I should absolutely avoid?

What are the most affordable yet high quality apartment complexes?

What kind of fun/night life exists in the city for a 30 year old single male?

Are there any good sports bars in Cheyenne (specifically ones that show the UFC PPVs)?

Is the city pretty safe? Meaning...if one were to walk around the city at night, would there be any need to worry about one's safety?

How is the public transportation (buses, cabs, etc.)?

I'm excited about a fresh start in a new city and state. I'm going into this with an open mind and hopefully Cheyenne can win me over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 09:42 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whywyoming View Post
Well, I just accepted a job offer to move to Cheyenne. Considering I had never stepped foot in the city prior to last week, I have no idea what to expect. So here are a few questions:

Are there any neighborhoods that I should absolutely avoid?

No.

What are the most affordable yet high quality apartment complexes?

Price Range? Cheyenne has relatively few apartment complexes, but does have a lot of converted single family houses into rentals and a scattering of apartments throughout the town that are 3-4-5-8 plexes. Probably best to contact the property management companies in town with your requirements/price range and let them guide you to what may be available.

What kind of fun/night life exists in the city for a 30 year old single male?

Bars, bowling alley, movie theaters. If you are arriving within the next week or so, Frontier Days will be in full operation, which has the rodeos and the concerts and the amusement area ... it's a major party for a couple of weeks. If you enjoy outdoor activities, there's a lot of options for hiking, camping, equine activity, local fishing reasonably close to town.

Are there any good sports bars in Cheyenne (specifically ones that show the UFC PPVs)?

Don't know if they are "good" or not (I've never been in any of Cheyenne's bars), but Scooter's claims to be a sports bar.

Is the city pretty safe? Meaning...if one were to walk around the city at night, would there be any need to worry about one's safety?

Pretty safe? yes. very few crimes against persons reported here.

How is the public transportation (buses, cabs, etc.)?

There's a local bus service in town, as well as cabs. Distances around Cheyenne proper aren't very far, so the limited public transportation system is adequate for most needs.

I'm excited about a fresh start in a new city and state. I'm going into this with an open mind and hopefully Cheyenne can win me over.
Welcome to Wyoming.

Probably best to consider finding housing in town as close as reasonably possible to your work location; ie, winter commuting around town without your own vehicle will be much more difficult and may be unpleasant in the cold temps and snowstorms blowing through. In the decent weather months, a bicycle can be very handy as most of Cheyenne is reasonably flat; there are a few bike paths and some major streets are parallel'ed by less traffic'ed streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming