Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 09:55 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times

Advertisements

My husband came in after dark a couple of weeks ago acting astonished. He said "in the 50 years I've either been riding in or driving a car I've never seen what I saw tonight". He does a lot of driving for work and has been a lifelong hunter/camper/outdoor enthusiast. He was only a few miles east of Cody on the Greybull highway, just before the Oregon Basin turnoff, as he was heading into town and all of a sudden a large cat ran out in front of him. He said it was such a shock that it took a few seconds for his mind to register what it was....first he said to himself, "a tiger", then "a bobcat...no it has a tail", then realized it was a huge mountain lion. We knew they have been around Cody lately, but he had never seen one run across the road in front of a vehicle! He said it pounced across the road like a big house cat I guess there's always a first for everything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 10:12 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
We have mt. lions running around our area too, I just saw one along the neighbors fence line the other week, and we saw a dead one on the road out side of Denver last month

Old 09-24-2012, 06:03 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times
I saw one get hit by a car early one morning west of Scottsbluff on Hwy 26 about three years ago. Right by the goat farm there, for anyone familiar with the area.

It has to be pretty rare.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:12 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
saw a road killed black bear right at the State line befor Geneva Jct

Old 09-24-2012, 06:49 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
I've always wanted to see a wild mountain lion (from a safe distance of course).

Old 09-24-2012, 06:55 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I've always wanted to see a wild mountain lion (from a safe distance of course).
We moved cow one summer back on the forest the serviceberries were thick, Wife and daughter went back up to pick a couple buckets. My daughter told her mom look at the kitty. the lion had been sitting in the tree right above her... they got out of there very fast on the 4 wheeler....

Old 09-24-2012, 11:33 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiainwyo View Post
My husband came in after dark a couple of weeks ago acting astonished. He said "in the 50 years I've either been riding in or driving a car I've never seen what I saw tonight". He does a lot of driving for work and has been a lifelong hunter/camper/outdoor enthusiast. He was only a few miles east of Cody on the Greybull highway, just before the Oregon Basin turnoff, as he was heading into town and all of a sudden a large cat ran out in front of him. He said it was such a shock that it took a few seconds for his mind to register what it was....first he said to himself, "a tiger", then "a bobcat...no it has a tail", then realized it was a huge mountain lion. We knew they have been around Cody lately, but he had never seen one run across the road in front of a vehicle! He said it pounced across the road like a big house cat I guess there's always a first for everything!
Georgia,

I live in that exact same area.

Me and my dog were walking on BLM land one day last summer. It was up in the hills and the Oregon Basin is just on the other side of those hills. We were walking on a trail and my dog veered off the trail. I followed her and realized that she had found a bone. We walked further off trail and found another bone and then another. There were long bones, bone fragments, pieces of rib cages spread out all over the place. Eventually we wandered to the edge of a ledge and I looked down into a ravine and found what I came to call the "BLM Killing Fields". Spread out all over the ravine were carcasses, rib cages, long bones. There were obviously the remnants of a number of animals. I had seen a large cat print in the dirt while running on BLM land a few days before, so have to believe that we discovered the place where he took his kills. After that trip I never go out onto BLM land now without a firearm.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Last ranch I worked full time on was pretty catty.

Had one peek in a foster daughter's bedroom window when she was doing her hair. That young lady had some lungs! Had another in the back yard (granted it was a big back yard) watching one of the kids run and play. I chased that cat off. Saw several while out patching fences and checking grass.

I'm just a kitty kibble when I'm out there. I always have a gun and look behind me frequently. They stalk from behind. Just like a house cat and a mouse or bird.

And, as much as they scare me... One day I saw one standing up on a rock in the distance and I admired her beauty and considered myself lucky to be able to see that.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:23 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
How many of you have ever heard a mountain lion scream? My dad said he heard it once while bowhunting and said it was a scary sound.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:06 PM

I have. On Casper Mtn. once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming