Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2012, 02:18 PM

258 posts, read 1,003,864 times

Advertisements

For those of you familiar with Yellowstone National Park, Im curious on when the best time to volunteer would be. I'm 31 and interested in coming out there by myself to volunteer my time and also join a backpacking tour. I figure it is summer, but any specific time would be helpful. Also if I volunteer can I stay for free? And should I drive out there from Michigan with camping supplies or fly out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 05:21 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
I can't answer most of your questions but maybe this will help. Volunteering in Yellowstone - Yellowstone National Park

It has a link to a trip planner. I have always assumed you needed a vehicle to get around, but there may be some limited shuttle bus services.

The trip planner you can download at that website is no help at all in regards to information about public transportation. It sounds like they assume everyone has a vehicle.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:27 PM

Services in the Park - Yellowstone National Park lists numerous Transportation Providers but isn't very informative regarding what you and expect

Old 10-18-2012, 09:18 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
Yellowstone National Park is served by hundreds of volunteers throughout the year. You can help Yellowstone in a variety of ways from enhancing visitor services to sharing your specialized expertise to help protect and preserve park resources.
http://http://www.nps.gov/yell/suppo.../volunteer.htm
Volunteer.gov/gov-America's Natural & Cultural Resources

You may also want to consider applying to the Student Conservation Association (SCA). They offer a Resource Assistant Program that places volunteers in land management agencies, including the National Park Service. More information may be obtained from their website: www.thesca.org.

For additional information about volunteer opportunities in Yellowstone National Park, please email our Volunteer Office at: Volunteer Coordinator.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:21 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
I give you a big pat on the back for wanting to come out to volunteer! I think it is wonderful when anyone can give their time to help in any volunteer effort. This sounds like a great opportunity for you, what could be better than being able to volunteer in an area you are passionate about? Way to go!

Old 10-25-2012, 09:14 AM

258 posts, read 1,003,864 times
It seems like for the volunteer positions on the Yellowstone website you have to apply for them and they are full time. I'm more interested in just coming out there for a week after winter and volunteering. I'm wondering how and if this is possible.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:21 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
I've never heard of it -- volunteering for a week, that is. The positions I've heard of are for the summer and are pretty much full time. I think in return you get food and shelter (dorm style). You can also get a job working for the concessionaires and get paid a small amount plus food and shelter. I think. But keep looking. I'm just saying I've never HEARD of volunteering for a week, not that it can't be done.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:23 AM

774 posts, read 2,583,009 times
You might consider speaking to someone at the Yellowstone Association (Yellowstone Association Supporting the preservation of Yellowstone National Park through education of park visitors.). It is the official non-profit organization that supports the park and works within the park as well. It's based in Gardiner, MT (which is the only entrance open all year) and does a lot of volunteer work.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:07 PM

They will probably not be interested in someone who only wants to come for a week. It takes so much time to train and orient someone to do anything useful, a volunteer who will leave in a week is hardly worth the effort.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:52 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
Some national parks have invasive weed eradication volunteer weeks like Denali National Park does:
Yellowstone Developing Comprehensive Invasive Plant Management Plan - Yellowstone National Park

Here's a contact for the invasive weed efforts in Yellowstone:
Yellowstone Developing Comprehensive Invasive Plant Management Plan - Yellowstone National Park

There is also the volunteer efforts for invasive lake trout eradication:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming