Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 11:46 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times

Advertisements

RE: restaurant reviews above ...

Pinedale isn't a culinary destination in Wyoming, by any means. With several trips through the area this year ...

I tried the Chinese place ... typical institutional moo goo gai glop steam table Chinese fare. Lots of varieties and huge portions doesn't make for good, it just makes for more of the same 'ol same 'ol indifferent food-like substances on your plate. If you like mushy gooey vegetables in MSG sauce, this is your kinda' place; the crispness of vege's out of a wok elude these folk. These folk demonstrate the typical institutionalized indifference that can make pork taste like chicken like beef like shrimp ... the saucing and cooking process tends to make everything taste the same rather than preserve the distinct flavors of each dish.

Los Cabos ... not even very good mexican style food for the gringo Wyoming taste. Poor to fair would be my assessment; I guess it's OK stuff if you are into new york city mexican food or think Taco Bell is good stuff. But authentic south of the border and this place have yet to meet each other. It's good enough to make you think fondly of the steam table mexican style slop that was at your high school cafeteria or college dorm food service. Sorry, but I grew up with the real stuff and the gringo concepts of mexican food is more of a style of cooking than a cuisine ... and it's stuff that simply doesn't match up to the authentic food or specialities ... and table top bottled sauces of varying piquance don't equate to cooked in flavors from the real stuff.

The comparisons to being better than some of the Jackson restaurants (on travel advisor or yelp, for example) are but a sad commentary on how poor the restaurants are in Jackson ....

Thankfully, the grocery store in Pinedale is one of the largest small town independent stores in the state. A rather sizable store with a decent selection and reasonable pricing, a refreshing change from most smaller towns across the region.

Fremont Lake is an absolute treasure! just a few miles out of town, it's got a very well laid out boat launching ramp and dock, with adjacent campsites that are really nice. Decently laid out campground with adequate space for each site and distance between each site, unusual in many of the campgrounds around the region. Sizable enough that it made me wish I'd brought one of my sailboats to this lake, with an interesting shoreline of trees ... the lake sits in a basin rather than the more common Wyoming exposed to the barren plains locations.

Has one of the nicest GA airstrips in the state, too. Good access, nice folks at the FBO, and not too far out of town in an industrial developed area. In addition to the ranching activity of the area, the extractive industries have a sizable presence ... hence the newer motel rooms and hospitality industry here that caters to others than just tourists heading through to Jackson.

Like much of Wyoming, Pinedale is a relatively isolated community. You'll be traveling a lot for services, goods, entertainment, medical facilities that simply aren't available or with much (if any), choices or selection. Such is the price one pays for the access to recreation and scenic beauty of the area.

Last edited by sunsprit; 01-02-2013 at 01:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 04:30 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerK View Post
It is tiny with a population of 1500-2000 (depending on where you get your info) nestled against the Wind River Mountains in Sublette County. Scenic rolling sagebrush desert surrounded by three mountain ranges. COOOLLD in winter, but that's ok - just bundle up and you're fine. Gorgeous and perfect in summer and fall. TOONSS of cultural/entertainment opportunities going on all the time.
OP (or whoever else) - be very careful about the above statements. "CCCOOOLLLD but bundle up and no problem" is a very personal thing. I like horseback riding (and that would be my primary motivation to move to WY) but I would not be caught dead on a horse in deep snow, freezing temps, howling winds etc. unless my life depended on it. After living for 5 years in Canada, first experience -40 for a week or two and then judge whether "just bundling up" will do

For my circumstances, I would LOVE to own 20-30 acres with a cabin near wilderness in WY (like Wind River valley) but unless you have money to throw - how much use will your property see when 8 months of the year the weather is COLD?

Just another thought...
OD

Old 01-04-2013, 03:49 PM

180 posts, read 267,275 times
Yeah, the key word for WY in general is cold. It's an if-you-can-stand-it formula that many people from less severe climes discount to their regret. WY isn't generally especially snowy but it is frigid and windy in most places. A winter day will not warm up or feel bright and sunny like it will in CO only a few hundred miles south; that's why the state is so sparsely populated. There are beautiful vistas and natural resources that compensate if one can tolerate the winters.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:50 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Every crowd must have one, and I guess this time I'm it.

I grew up in the midwest, west central Iowa, and moved to Gillette in 1971. During most of these nearly 42 years here I've made trips back to Iowa at Christmastime and many times throughout the year to visit family and check on property, enough times that I can compare weather. IMHO, Wyoming winters are no more severe than central Iowa's. Temperatures may be slightly colder in Gillette, and the winds are harsher, but the sun and drier air makes it feel warmer most days. Winters are longer, however, by a good month. We can thank the elevation for that, but we can also thank it for more comfortable summers.

Granted, the wind doesn't howl in NE Wyoming like it does in the SE quadrant of the state, but here it's not as horrible as some would have you believe. I also disagree somewhat with it feeling that much colder than Colorado. We DO warm up here and have bright, sunny days, just like Denver has. I watch Denver's 9 News weather nearly every day, and there's not that much difference. Denver does get weather patterns from the SW that sometimes warm the air, but they also bring in snow that misses us. Generally, I think Denver's higher elevation evens out its lower latitude.

Now if you're talking about Laramie's weather, or Cheyenne's, yeah, that higher elevation means lower temps and higher winds, but many Wyoming towns have fairly moderate winter temperatures and winds and lots of sunshine.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:08 PM

30 posts, read 58,914 times
wyoNewk, Sounds like you came from somewhere very close to where I live, I've been wondering what WY winters are like in comparison, that was helpful! I know there are big differences in different parts of Wy, have you experienced winter in Cody and do you feel that it may be similar to IA also?

Old 01-04-2013, 06:08 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,174,164 times
I'll second Lander, as it is centrally located in an area you could likely find sub jobs. (Riverton-Lander-Wind River Reservation schools). If you haven't already a Wyoming teaching license, secure that (you will need to take the Wyoming Constitution Test-free but you will have to find a professor to proctor it if you are out of state). Also Lander has several congregations of different sizes and denominations. There is a smaller community- Hudson- between Lander and Riverton which might be worth checking out if you want really small town feel.

Too bad Dubois is so isolated or I would suggest that. Not sure you'd find the jobs you'd need. Good luck!

Old 01-04-2013, 06:32 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post

Too bad Dubois is so isolated or I would suggest that. Not sure you'd find the jobs you'd need. Good luck!
Nor a rental house, especially at $900 ....

Dubois is one of my favorite little towns in WY, but it's rather pricey ....

There are a couple of houses for sale right now at a price point where the PITI could be under $1,000/mo, but it would take the down payment and some cash in hand to be able to close on them .....

Old 01-04-2013, 06:39 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Jojo,
I used to make monthly trips to Cody but don't make it there often anymore. I don't remember the weather being much different. The town of Cody is a little protected from the wind, but once you get out of town just a little, that changes.

I grew up in Harlan, if that rings a bell.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:10 PM

30 posts, read 58,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Jojo,
I used to make monthly trips to Cody but don't make it there often anymore. I don't remember the weather being much different. The town of Cody is a little protected from the wind, but once you get out of town just a little, that changes.

I grew up in Harlan, if that rings a bell.
Yes, I know Harlan! I am a bit West of there. Thanks for the info!

Old 01-04-2013, 10:20 PM

180 posts, read 267,275 times
I just want people who think it's a picture postcard of Jackson in July that they saw at the Rexall to know that it's cold half the year. It's not the kind of cold that the Dakotas get but it's cold. It's not a suntan at the beach state; it's a hold onto your hat state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming