Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 08:30 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,611,556 times

Advertisements

I had to have some blood work done so I drove to the hospital to visit the lab. As I was walking from my truck I saw a person who looked as if she were drawing blood fom someone sitting in a car. That seemed interesting but I minded my business. However, the young woman who had done this followed me into the lab a minute later so I asked her. She told me that the gent in the car had some trouble getting around so this made it a lot easier and not painful. I said that was like a great idea.

But has anybody ever heard of this anywhere else? I sure haven't. The next time I'm in Salt Lake or Denver or, for that matter, in New York City or Valdosta, Georgia and someone asks me where I'm from, I'm going to make sure that I tell that person in a loud and clear voice that I'm from Wyoming, a place where we don't need laws demanding we be decent people; we just do it naturally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 05:01 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,701,961 times
Amen to that. I was explaining to an east-coast medic that for my flu shot this year, I drove to the VA hospital and they had nurses in the parking lot vaccinating people right in their cars. Just roll down the window and roll up your sleeve. The medic looked at me like I had three heads.

Nicest nurses I'd ever met. I'm never leaving here...

Old 12-19-2012, 07:05 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,719,600 times
Default You are both correct

My wife has worked as a hospital medical staff director for over 20 years. I worked six years in the medical records department of a major metropolitan hospital. NEVER would you see that occur in any urban area. When I told my wife about your posts, she just shook her head. It's so old school you can't find that school ANYWHERE but in Wyoming!!

And here is a surprising fact I learned just today by googling "quality of VA healthcare". The VA healthcare system is not only the most efficient, it is listed again and again at the very top for quality healthcare in the United States. It's come a long way from where it was in the seventies and eighties. I forget the name of the guy running the system now, but he totally overhauled VA healthcare, so much so that the Rand Corporation made a statement that "an individual has the best chance of an overall good outcome than in any other healthcare system in the country."

A pretty strong statement, and one that seems to support government run healthcare operations--at least if you got the right guy running it.

Don't believe me. Google it and see for yourself. But coming into the parking lot give flu shots! Man, that is way out there with service above and beyond.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:11 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,585,178 times
My oldest son was an emergency Dr. in Nunavut for a while. There are no roads in the entire territory that is 7 and a half times the size of Texas. For most of his emergencies he had to fly out to the paitient and treat them right there in their camps. He told me that many times the injured or sick person refused to fly back to the hospital with him, even in gunshot cases.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:13 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,958,144 times
I have had nothing but good experiences with medical professionals in Wyoming. When I was in the hospital last year the nurses had excellent bedside manners. Any doctor I've had to go to for anything in this state has been down to earth and straight-up with me. I agree, Wyoming doctors are the best!

Old 12-19-2012, 08:13 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,073,915 times
My husband has visited the VA clinic in Powell and each time he has gone, he has been very happy with the expertise, level of care and friendliness of everyone at the clinic (all the way from front desk staff to physicians).

A far cry from the VA hospital he went to a few times in Murfreesboro TN when we were there. The last time we went to Murfreesboro I told my husband "you're NEVER walking into this place again".

Glad we're here.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:14 AM

3,651 posts, read 3,787,843 times
Medical people in WY sure seem to be flexible in my experience.

One example: One of my kids needed an arm recasted. Ortho got the message while he was enroute between clinics and had us meet him at a convenience store. His nurse just happened to have taken her dogs for a run on some state land, saw his car there on her way home, and stopped to say "hi." She ended up helping him, and my child got recasted at the sink in the back of the store.

I sent baked goods with a neighbor who went to town as a thank you.

But in fairness, I've heard similar things about docs and nurses that treat homeless or work in the rural south and Appalachian country.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:32 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,296,638 times
Dr Perks Whom died this last Spring after being out of his office for less then a week was know for showing up with his dr bag at your house to check up on you if you were not feeling well.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:32 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,140,723 times
And only in WY would a convenience store restroom be CLEAN enough for that to happen!

Old 12-20-2012, 01:42 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,077,816 times
The VA in Sheridan has been pretty good to me, through the years. So every year I take a batch (6+ lbs) to the nurses station on Christmas day. The nurses cut it up and hand it out to patients that can have it. I figure if they have to work on Christmas, they deserve a little something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming