Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 05:37 PM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,575 times

Advertisements

There's a piece of fairly isolated property that we may be interested in buying. I remember reading on here about due diligence but can't find what I'm looking for. There is a home on the property but it has not been lived in for the past year (possibly longer). We have been inside the house once and it has been winterized.

Where do I find out information about the water? What else do I need to know and find out about, and where do I get that information? Wyoming is a very good fit for us, but suddenly I am beginning to remember that we're not from here. Whole different set of rules when it comes to purchasing property out of town in Wyoming.......

My husband and I are going out there again tomorrow. A whole lot less snow is on the ground than it was when we were there last, and we want to wander a bit without the real estate agent blathering on. We obviously won't be able to get inside the house again but is there anything specific we should look for? Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 06:37 PM

57 posts, read 72,510 times
)If it is well water, how deep is the well and when was the well drilled?
)If well water~where is the pressure tank?
)Has the property had livestock on it? If so, are the hydrants/faucets/stock waterer's capable of running water?
)Septic system in good shape? When was it installed and where is it and have there been any problems?
)Would there be any irrigation rights on the property? This is a whole new ballgame and has it's own benefits and headaches.
The above are questions your agent should be able to answer.

The following you can observe yourself.
Overhead electrical lines from the pole to the home or are they underground?
Fences? They should be in reasonably good repair.
Roof? Wyoming wind can be harsh on roofs. We finally took the shingles off ours and put steel on.

When we bought our farm(524 acres), we looked at:
irrigation rights, soil type(s), shelter for livestock(windbreaks), water for livestock, condition of outbuildings, current condition of fields, replacement and reburying of very old water lines, burying the overhead electrical lines, replacement of the old wooden box they called the septic tank and running a new leach line, testing the three wells that were on the property(we had a local water well company come out to check pump status, well casings and pressure tank stability). I am sure there was more but that was 20 years ago...

Old 01-21-2013, 08:26 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
juneaubound ...

all of your questions have been thoroughly discussed in recent times on these pages.

Rather than a whole new posting, you might want to use the search function ...

Water is a very big deal here, especially in rural properties. Well permits are issued by the State of Wyoming at the Engineer's office, and you need to verify the permit for the property you are looking at. Additionally, you need to have the well checked for output and water quality; these are independent tests which you should have performed by someone working on your behalf. Depending upon the adjacent or local land uses, there are additional tests that should be performed beyond the standard tests. The septic system should have been pumped out and inspected for the purpose of selling the property; you should get a copy of the report ... although I tend to insist upon obtaining an inspection on my own behalf, too.

If the house is vacant, why can't the agent get you access to the house again? Most of the time in Wyoming, agents have simply handed me keys to a place with a request to lock it up upon my leaving the place.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:57 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
You can make your offer contingent upon these concerns. Be sure to include a radon test as well. I suggest that you hire your own inspector but before you hire him try to check up on him, particularly how long he's been in business. In my experience these people aren't all that sharp so check everything yourself as well to the best of your ability. A local lender can sometimes provide referrals as well as other information and advice. At this stage you should be talking with one who impresses you favorably.

Water is, of course, critical but if this not agricultural property all you need do is check the well and septic. If there's a cistern that needs to be checked as well and you should put a bacteriacide into it before moving in. The act of opening the cistern can introduce bacteria but you do need to open it for inspection. This should be specified in your offer as well. Make sure you observe any corrective operations. Do not just take the seller's word for it.

Be sure to find out if there is a landline to the house if you will need one. It's the only way to get high speed internet around Cody and bringing it to the house can be very expensive. Do not believe Century Link when they tell you there's no charge beyond the normal installation fee. Also, turn your cell phone on when you get to the place. Make sure you have service. Telephone service is a dealbreaker. You'll never sell the place without it. While you're there check for an electric meter. You probably don't want to deal with a completely off grid location. I would be very surprised if the utilities weren't all underground.

If there are neighbors anywhere nearby talk to them. They may know some things you wouldn't find out otherwise. There is a reason why the house has been vacant so long.

Finally, never forget that realtors only earn a commission when a property sells.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 01-22-2013 at 03:15 AM..

Old 01-22-2013, 06:40 PM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,575 times
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the replies. A lot to think about.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:18 AM

59 posts, read 239,878 times
I wrote about our experiences upon first coming to wyoming which might interest you. I think if you look at postiings about wytex, or postings by me you may find it interesting.
bzbzlady

Old 01-31-2013, 03:40 AM

592 posts, read 2,243,743 times
I have always contacted the state engineer. If the property has a well they should have a record of it and the drilling logs.

http://will.state.wy.us/slpub/report...20Engineer.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming