Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 09:56 AM

5 posts, read 12,445 times

Advertisements

I'm a college student looking to transfer to UW.
What can you all tell me about Laramie and UW?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 09:05 PM

89 posts, read 303,584 times
its a huge city and there are alot of granolas

Old 11-11-2008, 09:24 PM

116 posts, read 450,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1234 View Post
its a huge city and there are alot of granolas
As a recent tranplant to Wyoming, I may be of some assistance in translating the above.

What moose1234 is trying to say, I believe, is:

"There are more than 200 residents in Laramie. A significant portion of the population consists of environmentalists."

Old 11-12-2008, 11:48 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,268,734 times
I can't tell you much about it, but it's a fairly nice little western town with a nice campus. Both of my kids attended UW and liked it. It's at a high elevation, so it gets pretty cold and windy in the winter.

My daughter graduated with a degree in pharmacy, and while she was still a student I happened to be seated next to a recruiter for a large drug chain while on a commercial flight. She told me they recruit UW students heavily because they graduate prepared to step right in and work. Now my daughter recruits for Walgreens and is a district manager for them.

As universities go, UW is pretty small, but it seems to have a good reputation.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:00 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,227,560 times
Hi Loudbe. What are you studying? I know UW has some programs that it is really well known for, including the pharmacy program mentioned above. My sister-in-law graduated from the pharmacy program and is now a pharmacy manager/pharmacist for a Target store. Some of the others that I know of that I've heard great things about include the engineering program, which my son-in-law is in right now. He really likes it and was even chosen for a paid internship-like thing called "The Design Squad" with WYDOT (highway dept) with a good possibility of being offered a job with them when he graduates. He really likes school there. My daughter thinks Laramie is a nice town and they have made some great friends, other young couples with small children. They do seem to get some pretty wicked blizzards during the winter, but they don't seem to last for very long. They love the summers there because it is consistently about 10-20 degrees cooler than it is here in the lower elevations of Wyoming.

Another program I am familiar with is the UW Law School. I know a few guys who have gone there and I've heard it has a very good reputation (unlike most LAWYERS, HAHAHA! )

Old 11-14-2008, 09:12 AM

5 posts, read 12,445 times
some more background info:
I've lived my entire life in Lubbock, TX. I'm currently studying Petroleum Engineering at Texas Tech.

How does Wyoming compare to Texas (other than the weather, of course)?

Old 11-14-2008, 07:57 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,268,734 times
I lived in San Angelo for a couple years. Nice town.

The area around Laramie isn't a whole lot different than Lubbock, except its elevation is a whole lot higher and the mountains aren't that far off. Other than weather and terrain, it's not that different than west Texas. Conservative, lots of sage brush and horses, long distances between towns....

Old 11-14-2008, 08:34 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,835,876 times
I went to UW.....it's pretty windy starting at about noon often in the winter, summers are nice, thunderstorms in the afternoon. Top notch football and basketball programs, fun to watch. UW beat U. of Tenn last weekend GO POKES! Great outdoor activities east and west, not north or south. One of the best values in the country as far as tuition for both in-state and out of state.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:38 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,759,488 times
I am currently a student at UW in the Anthropology program, originally a Dallas girl. What would you like to know?

It will take me a couple days to get back with you. See the "For those of you in and around Laramie" thread to find out why.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:13 AM

632 posts, read 1,519,831 times
I lived in Laramie for nearly 15 years. The elevation definitely affects the weather. It's often windy, sometimes very (but I appreciated the clean air!). The summers are beautiful, but only last 2-3 months, often snowing the first of June. The proximity to the mountains is nice, when you will be able to get to them. I believe some of the most beautiful mountains ever. As long as you are aware the weather will be a bit difficult, you can plan and actually enjoy it!! Crisp, clean mornings were beautiful.

The university provides plenty of culture and other opportunities. There is a cohesive feeling among all Wyoming fans that you'll enjoy. I always thought shopping was pleasant, but then I'm not a big-city girl. There is a Super Walmart, Kmart, quaint shops downtown, a couple of larger-chain grocery stories, Hastings for books, etc. - I could always find what I needed. Rents are higher than most other places in WY due to lack of housing - but may not be so much more than other states.

The one drawback I found is the intense culture of binge-drinking and partying. I realize it is pretty widespread in many college towns and campuses,but in Laramie it is VERY socially acceptable, more so than other college towns I've lived in and colleges I've attended. Could partly be due to the Wyoming western free-spirit culture of drinking, but I also think it is more socially accepted on UW's campus. I have relationships with many people who are in administration at UW and they simply believe it is their culture and will never change. On other college campuses, binge-drinking was present. But at UW, the extreme behavior associated with binge-drinking is not very often looked down upon.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming