Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 02:16 PM

15 posts, read 54,048 times

Advertisements

Greetings. I have been toying with the idea of moving out West for several years now to either the Black Hills area of South Dakota or Cody, WY. I have been to both areas several times and really loved it. For the past ten years I have lived in the Catskill mountains of upstate New York (originally born and raised in NYC) and have had it up to my eyeballs with New York. I want to start out renting for a couple of years before thinking about any kind of investment on a property. I can't really spend anymore than $800 a month and would prefer to live in a small house or a cabin. My autonomy and not having neighbors breathing down my neck being of paramount importance. Do things rent for that type of price in Cody? I am self employed and one of my musts would be decent internet and cell service. Are these things at all problematic in the Cody area? Thanks. Also, can you recommend any good local real estate people, or other local contacts that would be good for finding a place to live besides the obvious choices? I actually found my current place through my church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 02:33 PM

692 posts, read 1,706,477 times
check the "Cody Enterprise"

Old 05-09-2013, 03:06 PM

Thanks.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:37 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Please, if anybody has any Real Estate recommendations, send them to the op in a DM. Do not post them on the thread. Thanks.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:40 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiafjam View Post
check the "Cody Enterprise"
If you're looking for any real estate or rental information in small towns in Wyoming or the Black Hills the local newspaper is the first place to look. You may also request information from their chambers of commerce.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:47 AM

Thanks so far everyone. Anyone out there who can answer any of my other questions?

Old 05-10-2013, 09:27 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronvonO View Post
Thanks so far everyone. Anyone out there who can answer any of my other questions?
Give it a little time, we have members that live in or work in, Cody. They may not have seen your thread yet. But they will.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:07 AM

692 posts, read 1,706,477 times
Most all towns in Wyoming have good cell service. Internet depends on the provider. For example in Sheridan I get 15meg service with cable and I believe DSL is 5-20meg if you are close to the DSLAM, however in Story the fastest I could get was 1.5meg and the only game in town was the cable company. I think in Cody they have 20meg thru the local cable company.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:14 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,022 times
I live in Cody so can try to help! I do believe that you could get a small house or mobile home for $800/month. Sometimes those like you are looking for, where there is open space around you, are very reasonable. If it is something big, fancy, or on acreage you would pay a lot more. If you are modest in what you would be happy living in, I think you would do just fine. Internet service is not a problem. However, if you want that open space & are outside of the town, you won't get that from either of the cable tv companies. Cell service is good within a reasonable distance from town. If you head out of town (north toward Billings, south toward Meeteetse or west toward Yellowstone you will lose service. You would need to see what housing is available & check on the availability of those services on a house to house basis. As for real estate agents, I will send you a direct message. They might be the best people for you to ask about where services are available as well. I was born & raised in the Big Horn Basin but left the immediate area for a total of 16 years before coming back. We love Cody. We lived in Gillette (not far from the Black Hills) for 3 years and found the Black Hills to be beautiful. From what I know, housing is higher there, but the availability of services may be better due to the population being much higher in that area than in the Cody area. There are lots of threads about Cody on this site so be sure to research them. Then if you have further questions please feel free to ask. Best wishes on your move!

Old 05-11-2013, 09:22 AM

Great info. Thanks everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming