Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 03:16 PM

15 posts, read 28,620 times

Advertisements

Been considering Wyoming as a retirement home for fly fishing and other outdoor activities. I love everything I've seen and read about your beautiful state and hope to visit this summer. I would love to find a residence in the country near mountains and wildlife on a few acres on or near a good quiet fishing hole or a bunch of fishing holes. I prefer river wading to narrow stream fishing but would consider all. Milder winters would be nice too.

I've searched the web but every site promotes its own area so I thought I'd ask here for unbiased recommendations for areas of the state to consider.

Now, a couple of related questions. Is the traffic around Yellowstone or the other parks so bad that I should rule out those areas completely? Second question, why no love for the Dubois area? Hardly any mention of Dubois in the first 3 pages of this forum.

Thanks for reading this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 03:49 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
Star Valley, you got the Salt River, Greys River, Snake River, spring creeks(Orvis doesn't own all of them...Yet)mountain creeks , small mountain lakes.3 national forest surround the valley.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:41 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Dubois isn't bad at all, but from my understanding it does have rather expensive real estate, and at 7K feet elevation, it's not going to have mild winters. It is a very small town without a lot of employment opportunities and is fairly remote, so it's not for everyone.

The Star Valley area certainly has great fishing, but again, it has long, hard winters at 6K+ elevation.

You won't find mild winters anywhere in Wyoming, but the Bighorn Basin probably has the mildest. I'd suggest that you look into Cody, Lander, Thermopolis, Sheridan and Buffalo areas for good fly fishing nearby and less severe winters. Of those, only Thermopolis has a major river (Big Horn), but you won't find many major rivers in Wyoming. (Big Horn River, Green River, Snake River come to mind, plus Yellowstone's, but other than the Snake, they leave the park into Montana and Idaho.)

Old 06-21-2013, 06:18 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
oh and close to Star Valley to your 4 Cut Slam, Snake River , Bonneville, Colorado, Cutthroat trout in one day then the next you can dive a little and catch the Yellowstone.
http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/fishing-1000209.aspx

Old 06-21-2013, 06:55 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
I live 150 ft from the Tongue River and the fishing is outstanding. Drive up the road a ways and there is the Little Horn River. In Sheridan you have Goose Creek, Little Goose Creak, Big Goose Creek. It's a short drive, 20 miles, and you are in the Big Horn Mountains. There are a lot of lakes to fly fish. There are several creeks up there that are 3 ft deep and 40 ft across.

Sheridan has a fairly mild winter. Usually less of a winter than most of the state.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:40 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,255,112 times
2x,
Sheridan, Buffalo, and the Big Horn Mountains and like EH stated Milder winter weather compared to other parts of the State.
You'll have a lot choices for good fishing.
Good luck,
Scott

Old 06-22-2013, 09:30 AM

OK, you guys have given me a lot of info to consider. Looks like there are 3 areas suggested, Big Horn Valley(?) east of Big Horn Natl Forest, the Big Horn Basin between BHNF and Shoshone NF, and Star Valley at the far western part of state. I think I've described the areas correctly.

Assuming beauty of the areas, quality of fishing, cost of living and real estate, and the people are all equal, the milder winters would point me toward the Valley or the Basin areas. Although I keep thinking of Dubois. I'm totally struck by the beauty of the Wind River Range.

Would the tourist traffic around the parks be a deal breaker for a particular area? Also, I'll have my 2 dogs with me when I visit. They're not small dogs. Looks like I'll have my choice of dog friendly motels there but should I consider any one over the others?

I'm trying to close my post but add'l questions keep popping up. Is it Sho-shone or Sho-sho-ni? I've heard Shoshone both ways. Thanks again.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:32 PM

There's a Big Horn Canyon, but no "Big Horn Valley" to my knowledge. The towns east of the Big Horns would be Dayton, Ranchester, Sheridan, Big Horn, Story and Buffalo. All are right at the edge of the mountains and would suit you except for big rivers. There are plenty of small ones with good fly fishing but no big ones. There are a couple good-sized lakes, particularly DeSmet, but I've never fly fished it. It's good for trolling except it does get pretty rough at times, and there are numerous natural lakes and a nice reservoir (Tie Hack) in the mountains that are good for trout, but most of them are accessed by a good hike.

The traffic around the parks wouldn't bother me. Traffic in and near Jackson is horrible, but you haven't mentioned it, and the summer traffic from Cody to Yellowstone's East Gate can get a little heavy but not so bad it should be a bother. Yellowstone is a heck of an attraction, but the nice thing about it is that most tourists are hell-bent to get there and don't bother with all the other great mountains and national forests in Wyoming. They whiz by and leave all the rest of the state for the locals. Even in Jackson Hole, locals pretty much have the Gros Ventre range to themselves.

Show-show-nee.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:13 AM

Thanks WyoNewk, Show-show-nee it is!

Is there a quick route from Thermopolis to Dubois? MapQuest says go down to Riverton and back up 26/287.

I think I'll spare my pickup truck the mileage from Texas to Wy and rent a car for my visit. Will the mountain climbing pose a problem for a midsize car? Also, are there any special requirements for driving through the Indian reservation? Thanks again!

Old 06-24-2013, 10:10 AM

No problem for passenger cars as long as you stay on the highways. Forest service roads are sometimes 4x4 only.

Thermopolis to Dubois is through Riverton.

No special requirements for driving through the reservations. On the highways you probably won't realize when you enter or leave them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming