Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2014, 06:15 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,652 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am planning a trip to Wyoming in late summer-fall 2014 (dates are somewhat flexible). I would very much like to visit Yellowstone Park, but I don't do well with crowds or canned tours. Do any of you have suggestions for alternate destinations? I am looking for wonderful scenery, day hikes, wildlife, and a knowledgeable guide-all in an off-the-beaten-track location. I am comfortable driving in snow, but would really like to visit when temperatures are comfortable for outdoor activities.
I appreciate any suggestions, ideas, or advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 07:00 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
You've defined a limiting parameter ... "I don't do well with crowds" ... which makes a trip in prime tourist season to YNP problematic.

You'll find, however, that there's a lot of "wonderful scenery, day hikes, wildlife" to be found in other western WY areas, such as the Grand Tetons NP or Bridger-Teton NForest (down through the Star Valley) that can be much less crowded.

What you'll miss is the concentration of the extreme formations/sights that make YNP exceptional ... and draw such a large crowd. You'll find YNP less crowded after the prime tourist season, perhaps in the weeks after Labor Day weekend but before many of the facilities are closed for the season. While snowfall may present at this time, the temperatures are generally still comfortable for outdoor activities ... although you will find days where a couple layers of clothing for cooler temps and winds are advisable.

As well, there are many other locales in WY worth your time to visit which will not be crowded at the time you're planning. Once past Labor Day weekend, I've spent many days in the Bighorn NF down through the Medicine Bow NF when I didn't see other people at all, or in the Black Hills in NE Wyoming. I've had entire campgrounds completely to myself with my RV, especially during the weekdays. Much of these areas are readily accessible from the larger towns of the region, so become easy day trips ... or longer ... if you desire; of course, you can push further back into more remote areas if that's your pleasure. And you won't have to worry about canned tour groups through these places, either. Perhaps a guided back country experience for you would be to contact an outfitter in the towns around these regions; check with the local sporting goods/fishing shops for their sources.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:42 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Hello everyone, I am planning a trip to Wyoming in late summer-fall 2014 (dates are somewhat flexible). I would very much like to visit Yellowstone Park, but I don't do well with crowds or canned tours. Do any of you have suggestions for alternate destinations? I am looking for wonderful scenery, day hikes, wildlife, and a knowledgeable guide-all in an off-the-beaten-track location. I am comfortable driving in snow, but would really like to visit when temperatures are comfortable for outdoor activities.
I appreciate any suggestions, ideas, or advice!
Yellowstone (and Grand Teton) can be visited easily without a guide. They are both easy to drive around in. As far as crowds, the main area that tends to have the most crowds in Yellowstone is Old Faithful and to a lesser extant Canyon and Norris Geyser Basins. Even so, I've never seen any of them what I would call uncomfortably crowded (not like being in an airport or anything like that). Grand Teton is a little less popular and has some great wildlife viewing, it just doesn't have the thermal features like Yellowstone does. If you are still worried about crowds and are willing to come in the fall, consider coming in September. If you come later in the month the elk are bugling as well. Be aware that the snow can definitely fly around this time (and any time in the park) and that the East Entrance near Cody does close for the season, although someone who lives around Cody can give a more accurate time for when that actually closes.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:30 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Read through this Wyoming Trivia thread and you will find lots of interesting things to see and do discussed there. //www.city-data.com/forum/wyomi...a-renamed.html

Old 01-06-2014, 06:44 AM

Thank you Sunsprit and WyoEagle for your great suggestions. I am very excited now about taking a couple of leisurely road trips through Wyoming. I am glad to hear that the parks aren't as crowded as I feared, and will plan my trips for mid-September-October. I remember going to the Grand Canyon in December and being surprised at how many people were there at that time of the year. Even though I appreciate that so many people are interested in the wild natural beauty of these parks, I still prefer to be able to walk for hours without seeing anyone and being able to sit and listen to the sounds of the forest and meadow without civilization intruding.

CptnRn, thank you for suggesting the trivia thread. I am going to work my way through the thread a little at a time with Google and a history book by my side

Old 01-06-2014, 09:19 AM

400 posts, read 949,887 times
FYI, you have a chance of running into snow in late September in Wyoming. Especially in the high elevation areas. I was going to suggest a drive west of Laramie up over the Snowies, but I don't know that you would be able to this time of year. There are some beautiful places to stop and it would lead you to Saratoga where there is a great hotel called the Saratoga Inn with tepee covered 'private' natural hot spring 'tubs' to relax in right outside the rooms that are entered from outside. There are a couple of great places to eat there also.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:56 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
Sept. you get into Bow hunting season and black powder seasons in the National forest .October you have general deer and elk season.
We went to Yellowstone Oct 27 this year not many people it was a cold day with some roads closed due to snow on the passes. Yellowstone 10-27-2013 Photos by Jodywy | Photobucket nobody in the parking lot at Mammoth, bet there was only a 150 people at old Faithful.
here Pictures from Yellowstone free day Sept 218th this year

Old 01-06-2014, 10:00 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
here a great one for Sep- Oct
Intermittent Springs
not too much of a hike it dose get steep and can be ice in a spot or two
here my pictures
Intermitting Spring Photos by Jodywy | Photobucket

Old 01-08-2014, 04:16 AM

Thank you Wyomama and Jody! I am so pleased to hear that Yellowstone isn't as crowded as I feared. I will definitely keep it on my list of places to visit later this year.
Jody- your pictures are amazing! Thank you for the information on the intermittent spring- I had not ever heard of a cold water geyser before! I have added this to my list of places to visit.
Thank you for the reminder about when hunting season starts- very much appreciated
I am going to touch base back here later in the year when I have a better idea of my schedule and time frame.
I think I am going to like Wyoming- you all seem very genuine and down-to-earth.
Thank you all for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming