Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 04:30 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
The snow wasn't terribly deep, but it was packed down and very icy. There was quite a bit of traffic on the road, and I wasn't particularly interested in being in or causing an accident, so I used 4 wheel drive to make sure I stayed where I wanted to. I probably didn't need it, but I have it, and it's easy to engage (push a button-no hubs to lock), so I figured, why not? I don't use it a whole lot otherwise, so I thought it would be good to lube the drivetrain, too.
Good call. I lock mine in about once a month for about a mile just to roll that front end. Then once disengaged I lock in the transfer so it can spin from that end for a mile.

But, yeah, I can sure understand it on packed stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 09:44 PM

11 posts, read 85,336 times
Hey remember me? I'm the guy who started this whole thread and thought I would post an update.

I did end up going the day I had planned and made it across the state. There were a few scary parts. 98% of the roads were dry and clean but there were two spots where ice had built up and the group of cars I was driving in hit those spots at 75mph. It didn't go well for everone. I think I saw about a dozen vehicles in the ditch. I was driving more cautiously than some but the antilock brakes still helped a bit. There was some blowing snow in areas as well which reduced visibility dramatically but it was driveable.

I'm spending the night in North Platte, NE and will be headed back across Wyoming in the morning.

As for the other comments...I grew up in Minnesota and have tons of experience driving on snow and ice. Still, I haven't driven in the mountains much and appreciated the comments here and especially the WyDOT site. I'm sure the locals use I-80 a lot but it is an interstate and you're going to have a ton of people like myself driving those roads on their way cross country. Those folks are necessarily going to be ignorant to the local dangers and it only makes sense that mechanisms exist to protect them.

The ultimate solution does seem to be having someone to screen individual drivers but I suspect with the numbers of vehicles using I-80 these days, it probably isn't realistic.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:08 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
icky,

Glad you made it half way. You should have clear sailing tomorrow as the weatherman said it's going to be warming.

But this is Wyoming and that could change before the news is over.

Good luck.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:16 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,057,516 times
I am glad you made it thru safely... thanks for the update

This last snow storm I had to put our truck in four wheel drive cause of some drifts in the driveway, but as soon as I made it to town I was fine in 2 wheel.
I am used to the wet snow in Oregon, so I am very cautious even in four wheel drive, the snow here is a lot easier to get around in...

Old 12-29-2007, 07:22 PM

11 posts, read 85,336 times
One last update now that I'm safely home in Utah...

Crossing Wyoming today was good. WINDY WINDY WINDY but good. The blowing snow wasn't all that bad and the roads were great. Unfortunately I can't say the same for Utah - the snow started just as I hit the border and the descent down into the Salt Lake Valley on slick roads with very poor visibility and 3 lanes of eager traffic was a bit much.

It's always great to go home for a visit but getting home is pretty sweet too! Thanks again, all.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:53 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,057,516 times
Glad you had a great time come back for a visit soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming