Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 08:07 AM

692 posts, read 1,708,774 times

Advertisements

Quite a bit of snow still on the mountain. It is melting though. Went up 14 to Burgess thinking I could fish the north fork. Yaa right. All streams in the mountains are running high and dingy. Decided to travel to Lovell over 14A. Some places still have 15-20 feet of snow, but mostly in the 3-6 ft range. Went to the canyon area. Water is very muddy. Ate lunch in Lovell at the Branding Iron. Pretty decent. Traveled to Greybull and up to Shell. Wow!!!! On up to Forest Service 10. Again WOW!!!! Lots of water in the mountains this year. All roads into the forest still closed due to 3-10 feet of snow still on the roads. I had heard some campgrounds were open on the mountain but found no access to said campgrounds. Even Owen CG and Prune CG still not open. All in all a good day though. Had the Mrs. and my parents with me. The parents had not been to BigHorn canyon in years and the Mrs. had never been there. Did not see any horses in the canyon area. Good bonding time with the parents though. Lots of laughing and such. Saw a couple of moose and some deer but not as much wildlife as one would think. It is shaping up to be a really good year for flowers which should make an appearance in a couple of weeks or so if the temps stay up. It is spring in the Rockies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 07:35 PM

3,656 posts, read 3,794,670 times
Sounds like a good day even if you couldn't fish yet.

Even though I know that there is lots of snow still up there, every spring when it hits 80 on the flats, my eyes and thoughts turn to going up and trying!

Old 05-27-2014, 10:00 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,261,778 times
Thanks eiafjam for the trip report for your first day in the Big Horn mountains. Sound like this summer should be good for fishing later on after the run off. Would like to see the flowers this spring and take some pictures. For sure soon.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:29 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,307,735 times

Old 05-27-2014, 11:32 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,261,778 times
Thanks Jody for my spring flowers picture.
Gonna have to watch for the hay fever.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:05 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,115,171 times
Even though I haven't been up on top, yet this year, I could just about tell you what the snowpack is doing. haha

I spent all Memorial Day weekend filling sand bags and stacking them, trying to keep Tongue River in line. Started out with 5 yards of sand. Yesterday the City brought us over another 10 yard load. Right now we are waiting for more sand because we bagged all 10 yards yesterday. We're just about there. Yesterday is the highest I have seen it in the 6 years I have lived here. It is the highest the neighbor has seen in their 22 years of living in that house.

It would probably be easier if I hadn't busted my foot and I didn't have this stupid brace on my leg.

Everybody talks about the VA and scheduling problems. I busted this foot (every joint in my right foot) 22 weeks ago. They still have not set it. They simply put it in a temporary brace and put me on the "First available bed" list, so they can fuse it back together. 22 weeks and no phone call yet.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:16 AM

83,581 posts, read 75,560,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiafjam View Post
Quite a bit of snow still on the mountain. It is melting though. Went up 14 to Burgess thinking I could fish the north fork. Yaa right. All streams in the mountains are running high and dingy. Decided to travel to Lovell over 14A. Some places still have 15-20 feet of snow, but mostly in the 3-6 ft range. .
Awesome. Did you post any pics from there?

Old 05-28-2014, 10:18 AM

692 posts, read 1,708,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Awesome. Did you post any pics from there?
In my old age I forgot to get the camera as I left the house. The Mrs. really raked me over the coals for this one.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:54 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,989,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiafjam View Post
Quite a bit of snow still on the mountain. It is melting though. Went up 14 to Burgess thinking I could fish the north fork. Yaa right. All streams in the mountains are running high and dingy. Decided to travel to Lovell over 14A. Some places still have 15-20 feet of snow, but mostly in the 3-6 ft range. Went to the canyon area. Water is very muddy. Ate lunch in Lovell at the Branding Iron. Pretty decent. Traveled to Greybull and up to Shell. Wow!!!! On up to Forest Service 10. Again WOW!!!! Lots of water in the mountains this year. All roads into the forest still closed due to 3-10 feet of snow still on the roads. I had heard some campgrounds were open on the mountain but found no access to said campgrounds. Even Owen CG and Prune CG still not open. All in all a good day though. Had the Mrs. and my parents with me. The parents had not been to BigHorn canyon in years and the Mrs. had never been there. Did not see any horses in the canyon area. Good bonding time with the parents though. Lots of laughing and such. Saw a couple of moose and some deer but not as much wildlife as one would think. It is shaping up to be a really good year for flowers which should make an appearance in a couple of weeks or so if the temps stay up. It is spring in the Rockies.
Sounds like your day was seized, even if you didn't get to fish.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:01 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,115,171 times
It won't be long before you can fish. All we have to do is get this Tongue River put back in it's banks and the fishing should pick right up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming