Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2015, 10:22 PM

592 posts, read 2,244,367 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I was looking at a piece of land last week and found a steel pipe, standing about 5 feet above ground, on it was welded a name of a land company, the date 7-23-1953, the number TD 4000 and the section ,range and township numbers. There appeared to be a cement pad poured around it .
I was wondering if this may be an old well of some sort, hopefully a water well that I might be able to use?

I went to the Wyoming state engineers webpage to attempt a search but it was not very user friendly.

Anybody have any helpful advise for finding out about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 02:52 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,174,164 times
Do you have the name of the land company and which county/town/area? You have me curious! I found some similar listings on an Oklahoma oil and gas drilling site and here is a definition of TD.

TD
1. n. [Drilling]
Abbreviation for total depth. The depth of the bottom of the well. Usually, it is the depth where drilling has stopped. Alternate Form: total depth

Old 06-07-2015, 07:48 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
How big is the pipe? Is it capped?

Range, township and section are things usually associated with permits for wells. The clues point towards a well. It might take a call to the state with the legal description to ascertain whether it is a well. What it was intended to be used for.

A 62 year old hole in the ground might not be a water producer. If it is it may not be fit for humans.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:20 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
At 4,000' depth, unlikely to be a potable water well for domestic use.

The state engineer will have the well on file in the groundwater division if it was a water well. Take the information to them and they can look it up for you.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:04 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
4000? Missed that. No way anything out of that hole would be potable.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:38 PM

Thanks all !
Ya 4000 ft is probably not worth looking into. I thought maybe that it might have been some sort of well identification number. There are a lot of recent oil and gas activity in the area so maybe an old test well.
I couldn't find anything on the web for the company name so probably long gone or absorbed by someone bigger.
The pipe was about 6 inch, I didn't mesure it, and it was capped.

I will be checking in with the state water folks about other water issues if I decide to move forward with buying the land so will verify at that point.

I just knew I would get some good info here !

Old 06-07-2015, 07:55 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,174,164 times
Could it be a natural gas test drill, that deep?

Old 06-11-2015, 10:48 AM

692 posts, read 1,707,258 times
I would start here " + theTitle + " This is the Wyoming Gas and Oil Commission. In the second column is the map server.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:48 AM

6 posts, read 11,674 times
What you have is a dry hole marker. Name on pipe is the company who drilled it and the date is when. TD is depth of well. Also there should be a lease number and also say if it is a federal lease or private. Most company's that drilled wells that long ago have long gone under. You can get on WY Oil and Gas web page and find the facts by doing some searching. You can search by legal, lease number, name of company, or maybe even date. It is probably not worth messing with for a water well. These are cemented and filled with mud. Another issue is the drill hole has surface casing that cases off surface ground water. Someone with equipment would have to shoot the casing to develop any water and generally, you would be just guessing as to where to shoot, and that is not cheap.

I have several dry hole markers on my land, but when I want a water well, I opt to hire a licensed driller to do the job right and drill my well. I have heard of land owners getting permits to reenter and convert to water but I can't believe it costing less. On a side note, if the marker is on private land, I have been told that those markers can be removed after a few years. Generally takes a backhoe and dig down below ground level and cut off with torch. Biggest problem, there is generally a little water inside the pipe that keeps the steel cold as you try to cut it. As I said before, the hole is filled so there really is no hole under the marker.

Also, since there is a dry hole marker, it does not mean that it was really a dry hole. Some holes were plugged years ago because companies had too many investors in the well. Meaning they over sold the well and had more than 100% investment. Later on, a re-organized company would come back and drill. Or they might just determine that it was not economically good enough to produce. Now that horizontal drill is going on, a lot of those locations tell a story to the geologists and they can lay out road maps on where to drill their horizontals.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:23 PM

Thanks, In Wyo ! great info ! It is on land that was once owned by the Union Pacific but is now owned by an investor who has been slowly selling off their properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming