Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 09:45 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,787 times

Advertisements

if it's overpoliced then why is the meth problem so bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 10:30 AM

130 posts, read 235,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
GTO, when they say over policed, they are hitting the nail on the head. Sheridan has more law enforcement, per capita, then any place in Wyoming.

That maybe why they feel harrassed by the law. But like I said, don't break the law and you have nothing to worry about. I've never felt threatened by law enforcement in Sheridan. Sure, I've been stopped a couple times, and rightfully so. By the way, both times were warnings. Tail light out (I have 4, two top, two bottom, a top one was out), second time was a wide turn with my truck. But there was a trash can blown over right on the corner and the cop (coming from the other way) didn't see it until I pointed it out. He thanked me and went over and stood it back up on the curb. BYW, that is since 1972 when I first come to Sheridan.
"over policed" It's for the best,
Understood better now Elkhunter,

Some folks get pestered more bacause they don't understand the lawmans position. Kinda' like a responsible parent to kid. As a parent, I let my kids know whent they act like a prick/ingrate to me or her and put them in thier place.

When dealing with "the man", behave yurself and do the right thing to oblidge any warnings yur' lucky to get. Take care of problems right soon. Try doing his job, don't flick attitude at "the man"; more sure to get hooked up that way!

Good enuf.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:50 PM

9 posts, read 19,985 times
Me and my friend are looking to move to Wyoming when I get back from Iraq, we've talked to one person about renting a house in Buffalo from what I understand its about a 30 min drive from Sheridan. Does anyone have any info on Buffalo or suggestions about where two girls in there 20s should move to in Wyoming. I've got three horses and a couple dogs and shes also planning on purchasing a horse. She's a teacher and I'm thinking about going back to school. We're looking for some where quiet and that still has a small town charm to it. I love the "Cowboy" lifestyle thats the way I was raised and have heard that thats what Wyoming is all about. We like to go out an have a few drinks, maybe dance a little some times so something with local bars would be good. We also need a place to rent that would allow me to have my animals on the property. If anyone has any advice for me I'd love to hear it...
Thank you!

Old 07-11-2010, 11:08 PM

4 posts, read 11,797 times
Quote:
I don't know what Sheridan you are talking about. It is certainly not this one. Yes, there is a drug problem, but it is not what you paint.

If you are so sure you are meeting a drug addict, turn him/her in? Have you done that? Have you done anything to make Sheridan safer?

I've lived here many years and I not only don't lock my car doors, I don't lock my house. Worse thing that has happened is a 9 year old boy took my son's bike. We got it back within the hour, thanks to the Sheridan Police Department.

I haven't been hasseled by the police. Course, I don't give them any reason to hassel me. I obey the law.

I don't understand where you can even stand on this reply because you're contradicting yourself. "Yes, there is a drug problem." Well, I lived there for years and moved downtown. I had a nice house over near Kendrick Park. My neighbors on each side were along the lines of normal (or so I thought) when we moved in. The suddenly last Fall, there were people walking in between houses 24-7 (tweakers) going in and out. There was a very elderly neighbor on the other side of one of the houses that was home all day and she was the first one to complain. The cops sat outside the houses that she pointed out and "all" they saw were people going in and out of the houses really fast. One of the neighbors in one of the houses confessed to me that he started using meth and pointed out that the other one was housing a fugitive, dealing and having "parties" over there and it was obvious looking. That is when I called the cops. I was transferred to Sgt. "Q" ( if you really live there and know the town so well, you can decode that name)that was supposed to be in charge of some drug task force. They sent cars over to sit and watch the houses and that's all they did. No busts. No raids. No questioning. I called many times and all I was offered was a position to be a buyer. They said that they needed evidence. The landlord at the house where all the "parties" were going on had a huge plumbing problem and had a plumber over there that pulled out hundreds of hypodermic needles that were causing the back up in the plumbing system in HIS rental property. So, now that guy gets involved. The deals, the 24-7 tweakers circling our house and all the others continued and got worse. 3 residents affected by this situation and maybe even more all called the cops many times and our names were taken so there are records of all of this and it finally became totally obvious that the police were never going to do anything. We have to live, go to work and don't want to deal with potential break in's pr guns firing off at any given moment. In case you haven't been on top of your glorious town's recent history, a bunch of meth users had some type of dispute ( I wonder what that was about, eh?). Well, one man decided to slash another man's throat and attempted to hide the body under his house. Luckily, one of the witnesses had enough wits about them to call the cops and they busted him trying to bury the guy's body. These were meth addicts.
Drug problem? My only option given to me by the police dept. was to go in as a buyer. HOW DANGEROUS AND OBVIOUS WAS THAT? Oh, yeah I was pregnant at the time too!!!!!!!!!!! I would have been killed right there most likey because I am soooooo not the type. I probably would have had to do some right there with them. Watch the movie "Spun"d you will understand the way meth dealers and addicts behave.
As far insinuating that I don't obey the law in your closing sentence, " I obey the law.", you have some freaking nerve! I obey the law. My worst offense occured living in Sheridan. I got a parking ticket during that storm in the summer of 2007 and had to park my car on the other side of my street because a tree came down and had huge branches falling down from it. I stayed inside to not get hurt. I ran inside for cover and left my vehicle in a safe place on a side street. I got a parking ticket for parking my car in the wrong direction during an emergency situation and tried to fight it. I got torn a new one in municiple court for wasting their time, the officers time and they imposed a huge fine on top of my parking ticket for trying to explain. I believe it was my right to plead not guilty to a ticket under such circumstances and that my safety/life was more important when there were 75 mph winds and hail coming down. I had to park wherever and run around the block to get in the house safely. I didn't have ALL the money right there to pay for the ticket and the other fines and punishments they placed on me ($175 and I was only prepared for $50.) and the judge told me that I cannot leave the bldg. until the fine was paid in full or I could spend 40 hours in jail instead and he added that would give me a permanent police record. Well, that's just wrong and abuse of power while those meth addicts are still running free. Maybe they will kill and get caught or be killed? Maybe they will just die as a result of the drug. There is plenty of things going on that the police are well aware of but the real criminals have control of the situation as it stands.
I used to never lock my car and sometimes I even left the house unlocked until that situation unfolded in my nice neighborhood. I paid a lot for my house and lost a lot selling it at the time I had to sell it.
I visited there 2 weeks ago and had valuables stolen right out of my car in the driveway at my friend's house. They caught the person and she is pleading not guilty now. Funny! They found her and my stuff and she also confessed. In the meantime, my valuables are locked up as evidence. I had to pay a lot of money out-of-pocket to replace those items because the darn judgement and sentence paperwork is not ready until 1 week after she goes to court. My insurance company needs the police report to review my claim. Watch me get "in trouble" just for stating this! HAHAHAHA!
I love Sheridan. I am angry that I had to leave. I am homesick. But, I am safe where I live and learned a huge lesson about criminal justice from my experience.
So, go on living in YOUR denial and illusion....Oops, I meant Sheridan and leave you house and car unlocked. If those tweakers took over my neighborhood and that theif can steal and leave me without certain essential belongings and a further dent in my wallet, then you can just wait until they make it out your way.
It is true that the cops harrass innocent people. A friend of mine that was walking home from work when his car was dead during subzero temps was stopped just for walking home at night, questioned, ID'ed and made to stand outside freezing while they sat in their heated cars (yes, this took 3 cop cars to investigate....just a man walking home from work).
It's a shame.
But, go ahead and try to make me look like the bad person for stating my opinion and experience.
I think the people that are looking into living or visiting there have the right to know the truth.

Last edited by westwasstolen; 07-11-2010 at 11:32 PM..

Old 07-11-2010, 11:36 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
First off, I didn't insinuate anything with that remark. I simply stated that I obey the law and have never had a problem.

I'm sorry you encountered that. Just off the cuff, did you contact the Sheriff's department? The reason I ask is that the Sheriff's department and the Police department do not get along and are more then willing to "One up" on the other department.

I used to work in the Jail. Approximately 10% of the 60-70 inmates were in there for drugs. Some for dealing, some for possesion, some for both. Not all were meth heads, maybe half of them. But that was still only 3 or 4 people out of 70. Most were drinking problems, domestic violence, probation violation for one or the other.

For a police force the size of Sheridan's, they do in fact, have a serious lack of duty.

I lived up by the Hospital and never saw any problems with drugs in my area. I have a daughter that lives over behind the courthouse and I haven't seen a problem around her place. I guess if your not thrown into the briar patch, you don't see it and don't understand the problem. So if you don't see it, you have to go by the reports and the arrests, I mean, what else can you compare it to????

When I said there was a drug problem, I didn't contradict myself. If there is one meth head in town, it's a problem. But it's not an epidemic like some people proclaim. The way people are painting Sheridan is that every other house is a meth head. That is NOT the case. There may be some problems, but they are isolated.

I wish they'd clean up all the drug problems, but it simply can't be done if they're going to stand back and watch.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,049 times
Sheridan is and amaizing town, i live about 20 miles south of sheridan but still go to the highschool what the town dosnt have or has a loss of the high school makes up for it all. As an advanced student i am able to thrive there, there are more class choices and AP classes than a person would care to count. With teachers and counselors pushing you as an individual to your greatist potential. As well as helping you plan for college as early as possible. right now with the classes i have scheduled i will graduate my senior year in high school, finished with my freshman year in college. Not to mention the scholarship opportunities here are amaizing, this year they gave out over 300,000 dollars worth of scholarships at the banquet for a class a couple hundred. And worst case senerio is that what you dont get in scholarships you get a student loan from Whitney Bennifits with zero intrest for as long as you need to pay it off.

Thank you, Sheridan

Old 07-12-2010, 12:14 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedn2wyo View Post
Me and my friend are looking to move to Wyoming when I get back from Iraq, ... We also need a place to rent that would allow me to have my animals on the property. If anyone has any advice for me I'd love to hear it...
Thank you!
I think Sheridan / Buffalo is a good option for you, but I would also look into Powell / Cody as a similar gig. Powell should be less expensive to live. Maybe you could get a 'farmhand' position that would provide a house + grazing for your horses. Both Powell and Sheridan have community Colleges, but for the 4 yr, you need to look to Laramie, Billings, or Bozeman (all of which are acceptable choices).

Old 07-12-2010, 01:18 AM

9 posts, read 19,985 times
StealthRabbit, thank you very much. I will make sure and do some house hunting in those areas as well and add them to our list of visits when we head that direction in August.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:00 PM

4 posts, read 11,797 times
Quote:
First off, I didn't insinuate anything with that remark. I simply stated that I obey the law and have never had a problem.

I'm sorry you encountered that. Just off the cuff, did you contact the Sheriff's department? The reason I ask is that the Sheriff's department and the Police department do not get along and are more then willing to "One up" on the other department.

I used to work in the Jail. Approximately 10% of the 60-70 inmates were in there for drugs. Some for dealing, some for possesion, some for both. Not all were meth heads, maybe half of them. But that was still only 3 or 4 people out of 70. Most were drinking problems, domestic violence, probation violation for one or the other.

For a police force the size of Sheridan's, they do in fact, have a serious lack of duty.

I lived up by the Hospital and never saw any problems with drugs in my area. I have a daughter that lives over behind the courthouse and I haven't seen a problem around her place. I guess if your not thrown into the briar patch, you don't see it and don't understand the problem. So if you don't see it, you have to go by the reports and the arrests, I mean, what else can you compare it to????

When I said there was a drug problem, I didn't contradict myself. If there is one meth head in town, it's a problem. But it's not an epidemic like some people proclaim. The way people are painting Sheridan is that every other house is a meth head. That is NOT the case. There may be some problems, but they are isolated.

I wish they'd clean up all the drug problems, but it simply can't be done if they're going to stand back and watch.
elkhunter,
Thank you for your less abrasive response. I love(d )Sheridan. My husband lived there since 1978 after moving from Gillette. He saw the rapid increase in the abuse of meth since the mid-90's until the height of the "problem" infiltrating into his life (our life) in late 2009. Not too many people just have to "get out" at the rate we did I suppose? I cry often because of how much I miss living there before our lives wete so affected by it.
I was never involved with the law to the extent that I had to get involved when the meth problem (people) reached our little quiet neighborhood. Please understand how scary that was. The daily life quality and stress level changed so drastically that it was hard to focus on regular life issues at work, family, finances and etc. Being pregnant also made it more difficult too. Our recreational life came to a hault and we felt like hostages in our own home often. Just walking to and from the car was an ordeal because of the element surrounding our home.
With that being the backdrop to the situation it was hard to *think* about anything but protecting ourselves, our property and to an extend our mental state of well-being. It's hard to sit and practice Yoga when you hear music blasting knowing that there is a drug deal and people shooting up or whatever right next door at 5am which used to just be our quiet and peaceful time. It was a 24-7 problem or until the users "crashed" for a few days. Even in that case, people still surrounding the house, tapping on their windows to the point of kicking in their door to just get in. The elderly lady left her house to do some errands and came back to
an empty medicine cabinet in her bathroom. She apparently left her windows unlocked and those people were just waiting for an opportunity to get whatever they could.
In light of the situation and all the stress, NO, I did not contact the Sheriff's dept. I am guessing the average person doesn't know all of their rights. The criminals sure do from what I've observed recently.
Looking back, I wish I did contact other authorities on the issue. But, think about Sheridan and how you are basically stuck in a bubble with the same people because there are no surrounding towns. We were afraid for our lives and safety living there and even moreso after we made those complaints.
Don't get me wrong. Sheridan is my home and in my mind, it still is. But, it's very scary and heartbreaking to think about how the system failed us and how we had to do what we had to do in a mad rush. It hurt us financially and we are still suffering from the move. Changing jobs, doctors and etc....whilst moving when we should have been just enjoying our peaceful lives at home that we paid for and invested in.

Our private life is much better here in Billings, but there are drawbacks here. The air quality is terrible, the extra mileage on our vehicles sucks, the jobs are lame and we are underpaid. We are mad and bitter about the whole thing. However, there is no price tag on peace of mind on a daily basis.

I hope to be able to move back to Sheridan someday but we took a huge hit by having to move. So, moving back will have to be down the road once we reestablish ourselves in order to be able to take the risk of moving back. We are going to keep on top of the issue there now that we are aware of it. I guess we weren't too aware until it literally hit home.

Best wishes to you and your family and I hope things don't get worse and only get better.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:59 PM

130 posts, read 235,471 times
Quote:

The BEST/SIMPLISTIC points to be made on this case! There's a line in the sand to draw somewhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming