Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2015, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,142 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are looking into moving to Wyoming. We are looking for a small town where there is a good school for our daughter. We also have 2 horses so want somewhere that has rentals that allow horses. When I have looked for rentals all I have found is either really high priced houses with small back yards or apartments.

I have been a preschool teacher for 12 years and own a small family childcare in Northern California and would be looking into starting a small family childcare where ever we choose to move. My husband was in the military and is looking for a job in law enforcement. We were looking into Teton county sheriffs but have found that it is beautiful there but housing is very very limited. So if there is any other places please let us know.

Thank you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 04:29 PM

232 posts, read 785,793 times
I'd suggest look at Buffalo first. I've lived several places in the state and it's my opinion that Buffalo is the best small town (pop. 4500). Like any of the nice small towns in the state it will take some looking to find affordable housing that you like. But the search is worth it. In the last couple of years there has also been a surge in home building.

The town's Chamber of Commerce site: http://buffalowyo.com/

Buffalo is absolutely teeming with young- to middle-aged families with lots of kids. It's a very friendly and safe town and you'll see kids out and about doing normal kid stuff. I hear the schools are good and most of the teachers really care about the kids. For a small town, there also seemed to be a generous population of young people (college grads through early 30s), most of whom I knew worked either in the schools, for the Forest Service or BLM or in the restaurants.

You've got the Bighorn Mountains right out your backdoor always providing a scenic backdrop to whatever you do and also providing tons of great recreation for all skill levels. There's lots of community groups and events happening most times of year. Lots of great music events come to town, though if you don't care for bluegrass that could get old quick. (But if you like bluegrass then you'll love it! Lots of really talented bluegrass musicians in town.)

I can't speak to the availability of law enforcement jobs there, but if you count forest rangers as law enforcement (I mean they technically are) then you've got Forest Service and BLM offices in town that might be places to look into in addition to the PD and Sheriff's office.

There are already several childcare places around, but given the huge number of kids (at least it seemed so to me, for such a small town) I doubt you couldn't find some level of success in that route.

Housing is a bit higher than national average, but compared to Teton County it's unbelievably affordable. And also in my opinion it is absolutely gorgeous there too. And you can actually see the mountains from 95% of town, unlike Jackson.

I like Buffalo also because it's (relatively, by Wyoming standards) close to large population centers. Billings, Montana is 2.5 hours away; Rapid City, SD is about 3 hours away; Casper, WY is an 1.45 ish hours away; Sheridan, WY is right next door at barely 30 minutes away. All bigger places, all with more shopping etc. Though the shops/restaurants in Buffalo are mostly pretty good at what they do and are all locally owned.

Cons:
Long winters, as the rest of the state. Compared to Jackson there's a lot less snow and is not quite as cold (can still get very cold). Also not nearly as windy as the rest of the state (still windy by out-of-state comparisons) and is generally a bit greener being a more "plains" type place than a "desert" type. In winter, howling blizzards can shut down interstates for a day or more.

Pretty homogenous population. One of the whitest towns I've ever seen, even for small towns. That said pretty much everyone is super friendly, and as a stopover on the way to Yellowstone a lot of foreign tourists come through, so hospitality is pretty good and people don't bat an eyelash at hearing some foreign languages in the summer.

Last edited by KillerK; 09-21-2015 at 04:39 PM..

Old 09-21-2015, 04:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,762 posts, read 58,170,577 times
an area that might meet your needs / population adequate for a daycare.

Sheridan / Buffalo is top of my list; with Powell / Cody a close second
Sheridan will have access to VA medical services.

Do have your library get you the stats for daycare businesses in any communities you might chose. (Reference America and similar).
They can give you the current businesses and local (zip code specific) spending per capita on those services.

Do consider Spearfish, SD also (college town near WY).

Old 09-23-2015, 01:08 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,259,353 times
Buffalo is number two on my list. Have to agree with KillerK Response is right on!

Old 09-23-2015, 08:46 AM

232 posts, read 785,793 times
Thanks Scott! I mean, Jackson is beautiful and very unique and everything, but living there just seems like SUCH a chore that when people ask a question like this I just kind of brush over Jackson as a fun place to visit but not that much of an option to live (unless you've got insane money).

What's your number one, Scott?

Old 09-23-2015, 09:43 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,302,625 times
CCAA If listed were suppose to help those that had a ccaa keep ranching under that plan. but there was some that wanted the government to go back on their word and nullify ccaa's if there was a listing.

http://www.fws.gov/wyominges/PDFs/Sp...use%20CCAA.pdf

Old 09-24-2015, 12:09 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,259,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerK View Post
Thanks Scott! I mean, Jackson is beautiful and very unique and everything, but living there just seems like SUCH a chore that when people ask a question like this I just kind of brush over Jackson as a fun place to visit but not that much of an option to live (unless you've got insane money).

What's your number one, Scott?
Thayne near Star Valley resort. Just the right size, but the prices are going up for housing? Keeping a close eye out on the prices. Afton, bigger town, is close by for Groceries, and supplies. If i need bulk supplies can always run to Idaho Falls, Sams club or Wal-Mart, + others. Star valley Medical center Afton and Thayne. Good rated medical centers is a big priority for Wife and myself.
http://www.svmcwy.org/
http://www.svmcthayne.org/

Last edited by ScottStielow; 09-24-2015 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: Added information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming