Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 09:11 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
C'mon, Jody ...

it's not "nice" to tell people about these come-on phony representations that are sold on "contract to deed" sales by the sellers.

these are some of the worst parcels/properties in the state.

Most folk read the glamorous brochures and the sly misrepresentations about these place and the "dream" takes over the reality of what they've bought.

Do read the "fine print" on these properties where the most minimal disclosures of importance are buried.

Little details like "winter access not guaranteed. You may need a 4 wheel drive vehicle to get into your place some months of the year". What they don't tell you and most folk don't ask is when and how the interior road access will be maintained from the county roads. Nor much mention that "utilities aren't supplied to the properties. You may need to provide your own power sources, develop your own water source, install your own septic". By the way, you may find that these places don't have a fire department service and your home insurer isn't going to write a policy on the house you built. You may find that getting trades services to the property is a bit problematic.

I get a laugh every time I'm headed to the Casper area and see their signage for their "ranches" just outside of town there. It's more suitable for wind power generation and gophers than any other use. Anybody building a house there better be liking living in a wind tunnel most of the year. Pointing your car into the wind and hanging onto the door is a necessity.

Same thing with the parcels near Cheyenne. Simply some of the worst land around, but cheap to buy until you come visit what you've bought and try to develop the property.

And some of their other parcels have beautiful marketing brochures with gorgeous views of the lake that's not too far distant and might have water in it some years. Looks great, but it's not what you're buying. Kinda' like buying an "ocean front property" that's only a few miles away from the ocean and blocked by all the condo's and motels and commercial district that's between you and the sparkly sandy beach with the bar and restaurant within arm's reach from your beach blanket and lounge chair. But it's near there, right?

I've no doubt that a lot of bankers here get to ask folk how they're going to get homeowner's coverage for their house once the construction loan ends and a CO is issued. It's those "little things" that count.

I wonder how many times these folks have resold properties that the buyers let go into default on the payments when they found out what they'd bought? That's what happens on a contract to deed ... you quit making payments and they still own the property, no foreclosure needed. It's theirs until you pay it off, and if you don't ... it's theirs. Your forfeit everything you've paid for the place, too. Resale? miniscule chance by the buyer to resell one of these.
but it cheap land and thank for that reply , it take more then one person sometimes to get people to really listen or understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 09:24 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
but it cheap land and thank for that reply , it take more then one person sometimes to get people to really listen or understand.
I know the kind of places you're talking about, but I'd rather live on the plains and truck my water than live anyplace but Wyoming.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:56 PM

4 posts, read 4,370 times
Wow you guys have given me a ton of helpful information, thank you so much! I did not assume living in Wyoming would be easy, not by far. I have experienced harsh weather winter, including North Dakota, OK, etc. I've been all around. The difference would be is that I would not have my husband to get me through the snow, that does make me quite nervous. I have seen those 40s quite a bit in ads, I dodged them because it seems there are properties like that in every state. You can buy 40 acres in El Paso for $20k... worth it? Hardly. My point is they advertise the same. I am thrown off by "covenants" and read on here to avoid them at all costs. It might be more beneficial to me and our family to purchase land and build (Will probe for water depth prior to purchase... I have heard nightmares), and stick with my husband on the road for the worst parts of the winter, I am used to living in our 40 footer. I am needing sanctuary however, a get away of sorts. As far as me mentioning the fixer upper, definitely not wanting a trailer to fix up, that's a loss cause.

Curious, if I find a location that's rural (willing to branch out more than an 1 or 2 from a small town), how would it work when we need to hire someone for the foundation and electric? Do they charge per miles out of their way?

I'm very petite, that wind might convince me to buy some anchors LOL. Honestly, I've been almost everywhere in the US, seen all the weather. I'll survive it and will enjoy the solitude, away from everyone, until it's time to hit the road again. To clarify, solitude is the ultimate goal for me.

Thanks to everyone who replied to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming