Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 6,839 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I scoured every thread I could find on Lander, WY and decided to make a login as I could not find a great answer to my question...

I have a job interview in Lander in the near future. I've never been to Lander, but I've lived in Laramie for the past 6 months and have been to many other parts of WY. I love it out here, and I know that Lander would be my kind of town as I am very in to outdoor recreation of all kinds. I plan to spend at least a day in town before the interview to soak everything in as well.

However, I'm gathering that Lander is not the greatest place to move if you're not in a relationship/married. I'm a twenty something single male, and I'd like to not be single forever if I can help it. Does anyone have any experience dating in Lander? Am I banishing myself to a life of solitude if I move to a town with a population of 7,700? I've had enough trouble meeting people in Laramie (I'm out of school), which has ~4x the population.

I understand this may be premature as I have not even had the interview yet, much less a job offer. However, I don't know how quickly people will respond, and I don't want to have to make a decision concerning the job offer without having heard back from those on this forum.

Thanks in Advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 02:12 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
Life in Lander revolves around 2 things, church and kids/school events. Well, there's the trust-fund kids from NOLS too, but they're a touch exclusive and tend to only hang out with their "own kind". If you're getting a job at NOLS, you'll have an instant pool of friends and potential dating partners.

If you're into doing outdoor things and make an effort to hook up with others to do those things, you'll probably meet a few available partners (but more importantly, have a social group who will Also be on the lookout for you). There is a slow trickle of new residents that come though so anything is possible.... just depends on you and a little luck. You do Also have Riverton, which is sort of a bedroom community with Lander as lots of folks live in one and work in the other.

I'm a Lander native, married, but found my spouse 2400 miles away. After being gone for a decade, I moved back with her (and away again 4 years later) ~ Lander is still easily the best place I've lived. From small town to big city, coast to coast and boarder to boarder (including AK and HI). But I think your pool of potential partners will be small and it may be a hard row to hoe.

That's a hard decision to make and I don't envy you for it. Perhaps you ought to make a few weekend trips up there before the interview. Hit up Cowfish (the bar in Cowfish specifically) and talk with the bar tender there about the dating pool in town. They're going to have a pretty good grasp of what it's like, plus the beer is top notch. I suggest Cowfish over Lander Bar next door (and the others intown) simply because it's the highest class place in town... if you eat there, expect a ~$50 bill per person... but a drink or two ought to give you enough time to chat them up about their thoughts on town. Then maybe go check out the climbing gym and talk with the folks there, ditto with Wild Iris on Main (next door to Cowfish) ~ you ought be run talking with people pretty close to your age in all cases. I'll help in more ways than one I suspect.

Good luck with everything... I hope you're faced with a clear and easy decision

Old 11-27-2015, 02:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
If you do find a potential spouse in Lander, she will be an excellent choice! (There will be some options).

I suggest finding them at church / community volunteer events / city league sports.

It seems.... you find the best mate when you are not looking. So I would make the move (for the right job). The future mate will show up at the right time. There are many ways to network and find friends to keep you company in the meantime. Hiking / camping / travel buddies are great for this season of life, and will help define / refine your expectations.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:23 PM

149 posts, read 258,840 times
The answer to this will largely depend on two variables. For starters, what kind of professional employment would you be starting? Something with NOLS? Also, what is your tolerance level for isolation, both in the geographic and personal sense?

If your employment will be with NOLS, as Brian_M indicated this will give you a HUGE leg up in the networking department. Lander does have a youthful/active energy to it, that is mostly driven by the young population that is connected with NOLS in some fashion. If your employment is not connected with NOLS, then I would simply caution you to be reflective on whether or not this would be an ideal move for someone in your position.

I know, because this last school year, at 29 (male) and single, I moved to Lander from my hometown of Worland, looking for a fresh start. Lander has always been one of my favorite towns, and if I had a relationship/family, I would probably still be there. However, given my employment as a professional in the school district, it was incredibly hard to find any avenues for networking/socializing amongst other school professionals. Well over 95% of my immediate co-workers were either married or in long-term relationships. As far as I could discover, I was one of the only "unattached" young individuals in the district. Of course, this made events and parties at co-workers homes quite awkward, as I was the "third-wheel" almost exclusively. Also, I've never been into the rock-climbing scene, and if you're not, then this largely precludes establishing connections with the younger NOLS crowd.

Like you, I'm also very much into the outdoors, and Lander is a haven for this. I did enjoy hiking, camping, fishing, and skiing. However, the vast majority of the time I was "lone-wolfing" it for these activities, as I found it next to impossible to crack into any peer groups to share in these outings. And believe me, it wasn't for a lack of trying. I was constantly out and about in the community at events, the LB, Gannett Grill, festivals, and even tried out a church or two. Unfortunately for me, Lander is largely a family-oriented town, in spite of the outdoor-driven economy powered by NOLS.

For this school year, I was able to nab a teaching position here in the Sheridan schools. While many of the same challenges are present here, (in terms of dating, etc.), I've been able to connect with a much larger group of younger folks in the school district, many who are unattached like myself. While this won't be a cure-all for me, I've recognized that it's largely a numbers-game, especially here in Wyoming. Generally speaking, the smaller the town, the more difficult it will be for you to find "the one." While your experience may be different, I would argue that the broader-scale challenge I just described for singles will very much still apply for you in Lander. But, you might get lucky, and just happen to run into that special someone, and if you do I wish you all the best. Lander would be a great community to be young in, and establish and kindle a young family to grow and play.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,839 times
Thanks for the responses everyone, its great to hear from you.

My employment would be with one of the state government offices in Lander, so no connection to NOLS. I don't have all the details yet, but it looks like a small office.

I have a relatively high tolerance for geographic isolation, I'd be happy to make this trade off because I'd be able to go hiking or mountain biking after work in the summer. You just cant do that sort of thing everywhere. Personal isolation is something I'm less comfortable with...I moved to Laramie alone, but I made friends pretty quickly with coworkers/craigslist roommates/etc, but as TNT25 stated, I've found myself "lone-wolfing" many activities like hiking, road biking, and perhaps skiing this winter. Its fine for now, but some sort of outlet for networking/socializing is pretty important to me as I consider future plans, even if it's just to make new friends.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:59 PM

788 posts, read 1,740,665 times
Im also a Lander resident. IMO the demographics of lander have changed quite a bit over the past 10-15 years or so. I can tell you that all my surrounding neighbors (and I live in what used to be the "poor" part of town) are "yuppies" around your age and without children. Also I don't think that any of the previous posters mentioned the Catholic College which seems to be bringing in quite a few "twenty somethings."

Old 12-02-2015, 07:37 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,172,847 times
I was 28/29 when I lived in Lander and loved it... wasn't a church goer at the time...but the area had very friendly people. Mind you, this was 15 years ago... housing is likely harder to come by/more spendy, but you can't beat the scenery. I'll never regret having lived in Lander.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:14 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,699,499 times
Hi Froggie:

I haven't been to Lander yet, but based on your recommendation, I think I'll put it on my next trip itinerary...

Have a good Christmas Season,

R-3

Old 12-04-2015, 08:01 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,172,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
Hi Froggie:

I haven't been to Lander yet, but based on your recommendation, I think I'll put it on my next trip itinerary...

Have a good Christmas Season,

R-3
It's lovely waking up to see the Wind River mountains outside ones' window. Visit in more than one season if you can, as the Louis Lake Loop road is worth the trip too... as is a trip up to the sinks. Can't believe it's been 15 years since I was last there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming