Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 08:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,574 times

Advertisements

Background, recent graduate in Engineering who has been juggling several job opportunities around the nation. Doing my research, I found being black wouldn't apparently be a problem (like most places, open racism.seems to be confinied to private jokes) but there HAS been a sentiment expressed here that Wyoming has a very specific feel and way of thinking and that others aren't really welcome (there was a pretty disturbing post about California) . America is for all people, and I of course wouldn't force any beliefs on anyone(I dont really even "believe" in beliefs, you either know something or you dont) but being an Acedmic Scientist and artist I fear that itvmay be uncomfortable, especially given I tend to go towards the old school libertarian and am relatively young. I am a people person, so I would seek out good bonds and relationships in my community, but I don't know if I will come of as some golden hued cultural invader.

Any help friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 08:14 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
A thanks, from one of this board's self-identified conservatives, for your respectful post (which regrettably, I don't often see from too many people here who immediately sink to the term "right-winger").

I think it needs to be remembered that Wyoming went through a boom period similar to the oil boom in North Dakota, but that was thirty years ago, and the driving force was the coal fields of the Powder River Basin -- personae non gratae in the mindset of the present Administration. Another factor is that the state's largest employer (probably measured in terms of payroll dollars rather than employees) is the Union Pacific Railroad. As a former operating railroader, I can attest that the strong demands placed upon an employee's personal life in return for the high pay, create their own set of problems and side effects. Point being -- the job always comes first.

FWIW -- I now work and live in the Wilkes-Barre / Hazleton region of Northeastern Pennsylvania, where I also grew up. And I can attest that until about twenty years ago, this area was also about 98+ percent non-Hispanic white, coupled with a strong social conservatism. Ownership of personal firearms, and a tradition of sport hunting and outdoorsmanship, is a prominent part of local culture (and was quickly adopted by the Italian and Slavic immigrants who settled here a century ago, and their descendants). But it's not something that is forced on a newcomer; and in return, many of us here don't want the self-proclaimed "progressive" viewpoint forced on us.

In my own life, I have been privileged to work in a variety of employment and living arrangements; and most of the last (and final) ten years were in the "new economy" -- a larger-than-average share of contract and temporary jobs, an many environments where no specific ethnic or racial group held a majority. The attitude, in most cases, was that of a "fraternity" -- if one could handle the job, ethnicity didn't count for a thing. But there was also a steady stream of newcomers, from all backgrounds, who would quickly demonstrate that they couldn't handle the particular demands of the job and/or culture, and didn't last very long.

So I hope you'll "take the shot" -- and get an introduction to what life in "non-urban" America is really like. I think you're in for a pleasant surprise, a rewarding experience, and a unique addition to your personal "tool kit".

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-08-2016 at 09:05 AM..

Old 01-08-2016, 08:49 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
I think you'll find most folk in Wyoming to have a "live and let live" attitude ...

and you will find some places in Wyoming hold a more liberal bent; Jackson and Laramie come to mind.

But underlying all of this is an outlook to be responsible and productive for yourself, which sounds like you have set up for yourself.

What doesn't go over so well is if you come here with an attitude that " ... that's how they do it in _____ (back home)" which essentially translates into a demand that the community do something at their sole expense for the sole benefit of capable others who won't do it for themselves. Charity is one thing (and given via free will by many religious/social groups & your neighbors), but supporting freeloaders via mandated social programs is something which isn't so readily accepted around here. Wyoming folk tend to look upon the shattered economics of the social programs of some other states and generally don't want to go down that path.

Please note that Wyoming's statutes require funding for the gov't spending; the governor's budget cannot exceed the funding sources. Right now, with the state tax revenues down from the extractive industry base of Wyoming, that means cuts in state gov't spending across the board. Fiscal conservatism is not only required, but a fact of life. We simply don't have the income to distribute for every socially liberal program that comes along ... no matter how much it makes you as a supporter "feel good" that you're advocating spending other people's money to achieve social ends which may ... or may not ... be in line with their beliefs.

Personally, I'm surrounded by a couple of religious based groups who are the first responders to assist the needy when required. Without hesitation or judgement, they will donate their time/money/resources to be of assistance. But they do so voluntarily rather than under the force of gov't agency taking from them for these activities. In some areas of Wyoming, you will find that this religious/social/financial construct is the dominant economic and political force of the area. Coming here and telling these folk that they are required to support gov't operated tax and spend liberal ideas might not be well received ... in view of their personal financial commitments and activities which, in many cases, are far more effective at accomplishing the desired "liberal" results that often masquerade around under the guise of "progressive" idealism.

Perhaps it would be indicative to you to remember the level of support that the current president received in the last election. The percentage of votes for him in this state was rather low ... to the point that he made it apparent that Wyoming was on his punishment list. Via gov't agency oversight and some highly selective federal program denials (such as witholding only from WY it's portion of federal mining tax revenues to the tune of $hundreds of millions over a multi-year period ... only recently reversed in the current funding bill, an item put in by our congressional representatives to restore our funding, to be paid out over many years ahead), it's been readily apparent what the directives from the president have been regarding this state. BLM, Army Core of Engineers, EPA, OSHA, HS/TSA and numerous other federal agencies responsible to the president (as opposed to the public employer they're supposed to serve) have gone out of their way to inflict as much economic distress upon this area as possible.

You have but to visit some of the extractive industry communities in this state to find the devastation imposed by the bureaucrats responsible to nobody but the president; a typical example would be the shut down of oil drilling permits on public lands here. You can check the stats on places like Rawlins to see the results. In my opinion, that's done nothing but to further alienate the voting populace of this fine state against gov't social "liberal" attitudes and programs.

In all candor, if you come to much of Wyoming and start advocating liberal gov't activities which are counter to the well-founded and established cultural/social/economic norms of the area, taking advantage of your "good bonds and relationships in my community" ... you may find that you'll be coming off as "some golden hued cultural invader". You may find that you'll not have "good bonds" within such a community to the extent that you'll be left out of society as much as possible. Yes, you'll still be treated civilly and with respect, but you'll never be a part of the community in which you live. I'd suggest that if you do come here, do so with an open mind as to how others can accomplish many of your ideals without the force of government "progressive" policies and taxation to achieve far lesser results. You might even be able to understand that there's other ways of living which are as valid as the "progressive" mandated programs outlook. The key here is self-reliance and responsibility rather than demanding that others provide for you when you could do so for yourself; mandating equal outcomes for all is an unfair burden upon those who do work to achieve their needs and wants. Excuses don't equal performance in this view of the world.

PS: that you've expressed your concern that your progressive politics are at odds with what you perceive to be the attitudes of the area already suggests that you've got an attitude about the folk out here.

Last edited by sunsprit; 01-08-2016 at 09:14 AM..

Old 01-08-2016, 09:30 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,567 times
People are the same, no matter where you go.

No matter what you think you're 'getting away from' (by relocating here to Wyoming) if you fail to 'jettison' or 'purge' it from your life (before leaving), you'll likely find it exists here, as well.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:55 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times
I know people of all races and all political persuasions. I love to discuss policy and politics and have done so around the US when I've had the chance. In my experience, Wyomingites, regardless whether they identify with one party of the other, seem to be more libertarian than people in some other parts of the country.

I agree that most here are "live and let live" types. As long as you don't try to turn your area of Wyoming into the very thing you left! That is very annoying.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:16 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
The above comments are spot on as far as politices goes, in Wyoming! I think you'll do fine Jake Hays, in Wyoming.
Start reviewing certin parts of the State where you would like to look to live. Come visit before you make a decision, in winter to gage the weather, and Wyoming's famour winds!! That is what i've been planning for a while, for retirement.
Best of luck in your search, and Welcome to CD Forum.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:29 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,701,008 times
Wyoming is a very welcoming state. It does have a different 'feel' to it than any other state in the union; it is more independent, self-sufficient and respectful of your privacy. (Kinda' Libertarian, actually...) The occasional joke about Californians is usually a reference to those who move here and then try to recreate California here by telling us how things should be done. Wyomingites hate that. A lot. (See the repeated comments about 'live and let live,' above.)

When you arrive, you are a blank slate. We don't really care what color you are, what gender you are, or what school you went to. We want you to succeed at whatever it is you do and contribute to the community. Expect to be left alone unless you ask for help, then you'll find most folks here will stop what they are doing to help you. Then they'll go right back to what they were doing, which includes respecting your privacy.

What people subsequently think about you is a reflection of what you display to them. (That's why Ltdumbear suggested you leave whatever bugaboos you've experienced before at the state line. If you bring them with you, you will find them here, too.) So if you want people to think nice things about your slate, be polite, respectful and courteous. You'll find that they are just as polite, respectful and courteous in return.

We are also go a bit slower here (the 80 mph speed limit on I-25 notwithstanding). If you are in a hurry in a transaction here, I can guarantee that you are the only one in that transaction who is in a hurry. Expect to be asked how you are today, because that's how most of us start every conversation - or transaction. Expect to answer that question, because the conversation (or the transaction) won't proceed until the pleasantries are finished. Just the way it is here. Bring your patience. Or better yet, leave your impatience behind...

There are several good books on cowboy etiquette out there - you'll get a fuller understanding of Wyoming people after you read one or two of them. Whether you live on a ranch, live in a town or what we (tongue-in-cheek) refer to as one of our 'cities,' you'll find a lot of that cowboy culture in the people you find here.

Good luck! Rescue 3.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:44 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeHayes View Post
Background, recent graduate in Engineering who has been juggling several job opportunities around the nation. Doing my research, I found being black wouldn't apparently be a problem (like most places, open racism.seems to be confinied to private jokes) but there HAS been a sentiment expressed here that Wyoming has a very specific feel and way of thinking and that others aren't really welcome (there was a pretty disturbing post about California) . America is for all people, and I of course wouldn't force any beliefs on anyone(I dont really even "believe" in beliefs, you either know something or you dont) but being an Acedmic Scientist and artist I fear that itvmay be uncomfortable, especially given I tend to go towards the old school libertarian and am relatively young. I am a people person, so I would seek out good bonds and relationships in my community, but I don't know if I will come of as some golden hued cultural invader.

Any help friends?
You will have problems here. First, Wyoming has the highest percentage of high school graduates of the fifty states. Therefore, people generally know how to spell and when to capitalize letters. The following may not bring open derision, but people will take note.

Quote:
...being an Acedmic (sic.) Scientist and artist
How do you define academic scientist? People will ask you that.

Then there is this item.

Quote:
I dont (sic.) really even "believe" in beliefs, you either know something or you dont (sic.)
Are you planning to correct people when they don't know what you think you do? How do you plan to react to people who will contradict what you believe that you know?

Did you know that Wyoming almost always give the lowest percentage of votes to the Democratic presidential candidate? Utah did beat us by a hair in 2012 when a Mormon was running.

Did you know that Wyoming is the only state that has never had a 'hate crime'' law?

Did you know that Wyoming residents need no permit to purchase, possess, or carry a gun?

Did you know that Wyoming has low crime rates but average incarceration rates? That means that criminals are punished severely.

We welcome newcomers who fit. Others usually leave after a short time.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:34 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

We welcome newcomers who fit. Others usually leave after a short time.
two winter rule

Old 01-09-2016, 11:56 PM

14 posts, read 28,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
Wyoming is a very welcoming state. It does have a different 'feel' to it than any other state in the union; it is more independent, self-sufficient and respectful of your privacy. (Kinda' Libertarian, actually...) The occasional joke about Californians is usually a reference to those who move here and then try to recreate California here by telling us how things should be done. Wyomingites hate that. A lot. (See the repeated comments about 'live and let live,' above.)

When you arrive, you are a blank slate. We don't really care what color you are, what gender you are, or what school you went to. We want you to succeed at whatever it is you do and contribute to the community. Expect to be left alone unless you ask for help, then you'll find most folks here will stop what they are doing to help you. Then they'll go right back to what they were doing, which includes respecting your privacy.

What people subsequently think about you is a reflection of what you display to them. (That's why Ltdumbear suggested you leave whatever bugaboos you've experienced before at the state line. If you bring them with you, you will find them here, too.) So if you want people to think nice things about your slate, be polite, respectful and courteous. You'll find that they are just as polite, respectful and courteous in return.

We are also go a bit slower here (the 80 mph speed limit on I-25 notwithstanding). If you are in a hurry in a transaction here, I can guarantee that you are the only one in that transaction who is in a hurry. Expect to be asked how you are today, because that's how most of us start every conversation - or transaction. Expect to answer that question, because the conversation (or the transaction) won't proceed until the pleasantries are finished. Just the way it is here. Bring your patience. Or better yet, leave your impatience behind...

There are several good books on cowboy etiquette out there - you'll get a fuller understanding of Wyoming people after you read one or two of them. Whether you live on a ranch, live in a town or what we (tongue-in-cheek) refer to as one of our 'cities,' you'll find a lot of that cowboy culture in the people you find here.

Good luck! Rescue 3.
I'm also interested in moving to Wyoming from the deep south, and reading this made me smile. Your description sounds like all of the good things we have a (somewhat undeserved) reputation for without all the stupidity.

Looking forward to coming up for a likely visit this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming