Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 05:25 PM

3 posts, read 6,375 times

Advertisements

Due to poor living conditions my freshman year, I was having to drive over 2 hours each way to attend school, and my grades were not high. As a result, I have a GPA around 2.5, and a ACT of 20. I've been in contact with university officials, and with my data they say I have up around a 90% chance of acceptance. With that information, I am highly considering moving to Wyoming.

One issue is that I am openly gay. I am also a registered Democrat, but growing up on a farm, and being out farmers my whole life, I act like a typical 'country-boy', and do not fit the stereotype that follows with being a openly gay liberal.

After the issue in the late 90's with a university student, I have read that the community changed and is more open, but since I have not been to Wyoming since I was in middle school, it makes me wonder if I would run into any issues with me being gay. I'm not talking about being called, "***" or that stuff. People will be *******s everywhere. I'm talking about living on campus, finding others that won't give a damn, that type of stuff, if you follow what I'm suggesting. I would really enjoy the feedback, even if your views of the city are not positive.

If I will have a very high chance of being attacked/assulted, or running into issues with the university in general, then I will not go somewhere else, but I would appriciate having the option of Wyoming.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 07:53 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
Can't say for sure, but I would think most wouldn't give a *bleep.*

Don't believe everything you hear about WY, even if someone makes a play about it.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:25 PM

138 posts, read 172,130 times
I'm pretty sure the application to acceptance rate is a lot higher than 90% if what I heard at a conference is right. I wouldn't say the university is open enrollment, but it's close.

Posters here might tell you that 2 hours each way is not all that far by Wyoming standards.

I can't really answer the other part as I've not seen anything one way or the other.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:56 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,072 times
Nothing in life comes easy. If you want to be successful, you're going to have to step outside of your comfort zone and WORK for it.

As for gauranteed 'acceptance', there is no such thing.

The only two gaurantees in life are 'death' and 'taxes'.

Just stand firm, be yourself, be polite, and even if something DOES happen, deep down inside (where the truth is really known) you'll know YOU did your very best...and in the end, that's really the only thing that matters.

Meanwhile, just leave the 'social injustice warrior' stuff to those better suited (with better connection$) to engaging that fight, because it's one that's raged on an on since the dawn of time.

Funny how the youngest generation always thinks they're gonna take it all on and win it without breaking a sweat, or without collateral damage, simply by passing laws or by who they vote for.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:05 AM

293 posts, read 563,456 times
If there's a place to be in Wyoming for you, it's definitely Laramie. As the university town, it definitely trends more liberal than the rest of the state and is often the only area that goes blue during election season. But understand that Wyoming is a super conservative state on the whole and a place where homophobia is definitely very real. The state has made progress since Matthew Sheppard, but as you can see from above, those attitudes are still prevalent.

If you're serious about moving, I can point you in the direction of some local LGBT resources, as the community has grown quite strong in recent years. And while there aren't many of us, Wyoming liberals are definitely out there! Definitely check it out. You'd be just north of the Rocky Mountains in some of the most beautiful country in the world!

Old 07-26-2016, 11:27 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,285,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by some boring guy View Post
If there's a place to be in Wyoming for you, it's definitely Laramie. As the university town, it definitely trends more liberal than the rest of the state and is often the only area that goes blue during election season. But understand that Wyoming is a super conservative state on the whole and a place where homophobia is definitely very real. The state has made progress since Matthew Sheppard, but as you can see from above, those attitudes are still prevalent.

If you're serious about moving, I can point you in the direction of some local LGBT resources, as the community has grown quite strong in recent years. And while there aren't many of us, Wyoming liberals are definitely out there! Definitely check it out. You'd be just north of the Rocky Mountains in some of the most beautiful country in the world!
Last presidential election only county that was blue in Wyoming was Teton...

Old 07-26-2016, 12:41 PM

99 posts, read 149,110 times
I am currently a student at UW here in Laramie. I have a number of both openly gay friends as well as openly trans friends. While they will admit that 100% acceptance is not possible, all say they feel safe and as accepted as possible and have had very little/no problems.

That is on campus. Around town they are a bit more leery of whom they associate with. Though most of the night life scene is college students from the university, there is an element which is not.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:07 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestxdude90s View Post
Due to poor living conditions my freshman year, I was having to drive over 2 hours each way to attend school, and my grades were not high. As a result, I have a GPA around 2.5, and a ACT of 20. I've been in contact with university officials, and with my data they say I have up around a 90% chance of acceptance. With that information, I am highly considering moving to Wyoming.

One issue is that I am openly gay. I am also a registered Democrat, but growing up on a farm, and being out farmers my whole life, I act like a typical 'country-boy', and do not fit the stereotype that follows with being a openly gay liberal.

After the issue in the late 90's with a university student, I have read that the community changed and is more open, but since I have not been to Wyoming since I was in middle school, it makes me wonder if I would run into any issues with me being gay. I'm not talking about being called, "***" or that stuff. People will be *******s everywhere. I'm talking about living on campus, finding others that won't give a damn, that type of stuff, if you follow what I'm suggesting. I would really enjoy the feedback, even if your views of the city are not positive.

If I will have a very high chance of being attacked/assulted, or running into issues with the university in general, then I will not go somewhere else, but I would appriciate having the option of Wyoming.

Thanks!
You'll be fine.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:33 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Default Laramie, A Dump?

Chris Cooley, former NFL player, current radio talking head in DC, said this morning on his sports show that Laramie's a dump. He gave no specific reasons, but was quite emphatic, repeating it several times. Any opinions, and if you agree, why is it a dump?

Incidentally, according to the source below, Laramie's snowiest month is April, and 2nd snowiest is March.
That seems unusual to an Easterner.
LARAMIE, WYOMING - Climate Summary

Old 08-10-2016, 10:19 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Chris Cooley, former NFL player, current radio talking head in DC, said this morning on his sports show that Laramie's a dump. He gave no specific reasons, but was quite emphatic, repeating it several times. Any opinions, and if you agree, why is it a dump?

the guy is "entitled to his opinion" ... no matter how baseless it may be.

I consider the source when I hear this kind of stuff. Pro entertainers don't carry much weight with me.

So no, I don't agree. Laramie has it's charms and attractions ... and they may not be to everybody's taste, for which most folk in Wyoming are very thankful. It doesn't appeal to everybody and that's fine. No more than I enjoy the charms of the "east" when I've had to travel there for business in years past.

Mr. Cooley is certainly free to exercise his right to not come to Laramie. It's not "DC" and bears little in common with most of the Eastern USA cities, nor makes any pretensions of trying to emulate those places nor hold them in high regard. Maybe it's arrogant on the part of Mr. Cooley to defame Laramie because it's not what he thinks it should be?

Incidentally, according to the source below, Laramie's snowiest month is April, and 2nd snowiest is March.
That seems unusual to an Easterner.
LARAMIE, WYOMING - Climate Summary
And your point is? weather at altitude and in the prevailing storm front passages in this area of Wyoming is totally different than what presents in a area with entirely different climate dynamics. Even the type of snowfall is quite different where the Rocky Mountain region sees a lot of "powder" snow compared to the very high moisture content of lower elevation eastern snow.

Last edited by sunsprit; 08-10-2016 at 10:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming