Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 5,064 times

Advertisements

I'm a teacher but wish to semi-retire as a furniture refinisher. I need to get out of SoCal for so many reasons I can't tell you.

we visited WY this summer and am in love with the state. My wife and I are from NM, so no problem on small towns. Given this, we are looking for:

--a town over 10K

--has mountains nearby

--not over-priced like Jackson

--needs teachers (wife one, too)

All recommendations welcome. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 01:11 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
The official

Star Valley Wyoming - Star Valley .com
they are 2 different sites

Old 09-26-2016, 01:24 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
In view of your need for teaching jobs ...

the number one priority in relocating to WY will be answered by "where the jobs are".

Don't forget that you will need WY teaching certificates. Others here on the forum have a great deal of experience with this process, but it is a hurdle to jump to get access to the teaching jobs. My understanding is that it's not difficult to get, but it is a requirement ... perhaps best obtained early on so that you are competitive for the jobs. Of course, this year is already in session so you'd be looking at next years' job postings.

Keep in mind that Wyoming has very few towns over 10K population. Cheyenne, Casper, Gillette, and Laramie are the biggies, with the rest significantly smaller even when you count the surrounding county populations. Jackson is a unique location which has not yet spilled over to the rest of the state ... and it's highly unlikely that it will do so, either.

"Mountains nearby" ... what's your definition of "nearby"? on your doorstep? a 1/2 hour drive away? just in view from home? or could you live with a several hour drive, which by Wyoming standards isn't a big deal? Keep in mind that a lot of Wyoming recreational access to the "mountains" can be a seasonal only access ... wintertime roads can be closed off or impassable in many locations. There simply isn't enough demand to justify plowing and keeping a lot of places open in the winter months; even the towns that support recreation in these areas can see a lot of business closures or cut-backs in the winter months ... to the extent that even the hospitality industry can cut back with hotel/motel/restaurant closures "for the season". Even KOA Kampgrounds "close for the season" in several locations around Wyoming come winter months. You'll even see signage advising seasonal road maintenance on county roads, where it wouldn't be unusual to have 5-6 months of "no road maintenance; ie, no snowplowing" so travel on the road is at your own risk should inclement weather conditions present. At that, a lot of public roads simply become impassable in the winter months ... as well as recreational and/or residential access.

RE: furniture refinishing biz. We have a neighbor here in Laramie County (outside Cheyenne) who had such a business for many years, operating from his home-based workshop (about 2,000 sq ft). Appeared to be consistently busy with everything from furniture to horse buggy's to piano cases to commercial furnishings/display cases. Finally retired a couple years ago when he was in his 80's, unable to continue the work. From my perspective, his volume of business was highly dependent upon the population center of the area, Cheyenne and surrounds. Even though you might be able to keep a reasonably low overhead in a modest shop, however, you'll still need a population base to support your business. Most of the "smaller" towns in Wyoming are significantly smaller than 10K ... so is there enough business to meet your cash flow requirements?

Old 09-26-2016, 03:52 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,701,008 times
Sheridan has award winning schools that a lot of people want to come work in. Unfortunately, there is a huge financial deficit because of decreased energy revenues. The schools are laying people off, not hiring. I believe this deficit is statewide as the state government has reduced the amount of revenue it distributes to school districts. Our local senator has been trying to warn the two districts here for about a year, but they didn't listen. Now they're hurting.

Sheridan has 16,000 or so, Big Horn Mountains ten miles to the southwest, and lies approximately equi-distant between Billings MT and Casper at about 130 miles each. Gillette is 106 miles to the east southeast.

Not for nothing, but the coolest furniture shop I know is in Gillette. Lots of hidden compartments and such - but Gillette is in worse shape than Sheridan because they are closer to the mines that are closed or are cutting back.

Sorry to be a gloomy Gus, but I hope you find a job here. Good luck!

Old 09-26-2016, 05:40 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,174,164 times
As an out of state teacher who has tried to land a job in Wyoming for a number of years, there are some areas that seem harder to get into than others. I have had 3 interviews- one phone, one in person, one skype- yet no offers. Make sure you take the Wyoming constitution test for teachers beforehand, so you will be qualified to get the license there. I second that you should "go where the jobs are." Keep watching the Wyoming School Boards Associationwebsite for vacancies in your area(s) of discipline. Not all schools/districts are the same, but I've found that the pay scale in WY is one of the best in the country, and no union dues.

There may not be a job right in Lander, but consider the reservation schools, though some are funded by the BIA not the state, so pay is lower. It helps if you know someone in district, but not always.

Sorry I cannot paint a more optimistic view. Good luck in your search.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:35 PM

99 posts, read 149,259 times
Let me also be the voice of caution when it comes to finding teaching jobs in Wyoming. It is extremely difficult for someone local (as in, lived in state their whole lives and obtained their teaching education in state) to get into a full time teaching position, and darn near impossible for a recent transplant IMO. If you have a doctorate in some needed field, a college or university may be apt to pick you up, but anything at high school on down is quite competitive.

I can show you 30+ bachelor degree+ holding teachers working para-pro positions in my school district alone, just hoping to move into a full time slot.

My recommendation would be to secure the job BEFORE moving, then see if you can stand where the position actually is.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:32 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo505 View Post
I'm a teacher but wish to semi-retire as a furniture refinisher. I need to get out of SoCal for so many reasons I can't tell you.

we visited WY this summer and am in love with the state. My wife and I are from NM, so no problem on small towns. Given this, we are looking for:

--a town over 10K

--has mountains nearby

--not over-priced like Jackson

--needs teachers (wife one, too)

All recommendations welcome. Thanks.
Lander is under 10k in population and Cody is a bit closer to that range. If you want a town of 10k or more you're looking at Cheyenne, Casper, Gillette, Riverton (right at 10k), Green River, Rock Springs, Evanston, Sheridan, and Laramie. That's it.

Not to sound negative, but Wyoming has a very strong tendency to only hire local candidates. Not to say you won't get in somewhere but it's an uphill battle.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:39 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
... Not to sound negative, but Wyoming has a very strong tendency to only hire local candidates. Not to say you won't get in somewhere but it's an uphill battle.
Wyoming's mineral industry in the past decade has placed the state's school districts in the enviable position of having one of the highest teacher salaries in the country. That makes it a very desirable spot to teach, and the last I heard from 'my' school district was that it normally had a hundred applicants for each opening.

Fifteen years ago Wyoming had about the lowest pay for teachers in the US. Legislators fixed that with the hope of attracting the best teachers money could buy. But it does make it more difficult to land a teaching job when you've got to finish in first place among 100 job seekers.

Most of the teachers I've known have come from out-of-state. I'm not sure whether or not in-state teachers have any kind of edge over out-of-staters (I'd hope so, actually), but I'm pretty sure that (if so) it's not a huge advantage.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:01 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Wyoming's mineral industry in the past decade has placed the state's school districts in the enviable position of having one of the highest teacher salaries in the country. That makes it a very desirable spot to teach, and the last I heard from 'my' school district was that it normally had a hundred applicants for each opening.

Fifteen years ago Wyoming had about the lowest pay for teachers in the US. Legislators fixed that with the hope of attracting the best teachers money could buy. But it does make it more difficult to land a teaching job when you've got to finish in first place among 100 job seekers.

Most of the teachers I've known have come from out-of-state. I'm not sure whether or not in-state teachers have any kind of edge over out-of-staters (I'd hope so, actually), but I'm pretty sure that (if so) it's not a huge advantage.
This is pretty accurate, although I disagree with in state applicants getting preference. It should be the best candidate.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:14 PM

788 posts, read 1,742,218 times
I've been wondering but not able to find many stats....

Have Wyoming schools seen decreases in enrollment numbers in the past year or two d/t decline in energy sector employment? If so to what extent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming