Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2016, 08:04 AM

1,665 posts, read 978,952 times

Advertisements

This month we are going to Yellowstone. Can anyone give me any ideas on how the weather will be? We are visiting from Louisiana, so the northern weather will be different from us. Haha..any information would be helpful...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 08:47 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,624,150 times
Hurry! Winter is coming soon. The weather in the park will soon deteriorate. No one can do more than guess at this time what the weather will be.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 10-08-2016 at 09:18 AM..

Old 10-08-2016, 09:09 AM

11,557 posts, read 53,243,070 times
Seasonal snowfall/storm frontal passages/low freezing temperatures have arrived in that area as of a few weeks ago.

While daytime high temps in the sunshine can reach comfortable temperatures for sweatshirts and light jackets ... for those of us acclimated to the cool climate ... you do need to be prepared for any combination of cold/snow storm fronts that may present at this time of the year. Once the sun goes down, you will need heavier clothing and layer up for comfort. Don't forget hats/caps/gloves ... personally, I like wool watch caps that can be pulled down over my ears.

Your vehicle needs to be capable of dealing with slick roads; ie, suitable tires for icy slick roads.

Be aware that many of the concessions and areas of the park have "closed for the season" at this time. Of course, the "high season" tourist pressures are now gone, so you'll have far fewer other tourists crowding the park with you at this time of the year.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:32 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,304,632 times
Was up there a week ago raining snow showers with spots of sunshine was going back this week end was to be sunny but cool 40 to 50s. Instead end up in sunny Laramie and watched the coy boys beat air force. Maybe Yellowstone again next week maybe monday.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:42 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,352,833 times
By the time you get here, it could be 70 degrees and calm blue skies, or 20 degrees severely overcast and blowing snow. Weather-manipulation (so far) is STILL frustratingly out of reach, for modern-day mankind, sad to say.

Drive careful and remember to relax, breathe deep and soak it all in as best you can.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:43 AM

Thank you all for the replies. We will dress in layers, pack some winter clothes and make sure our cameras and other devices are fully charged. Really can't wait to go experience this beautiful place. My wife has been wanting to go, (so have I),and will definitely soak in the experience as much as we can!!!

Old 10-10-2016, 01:22 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,352,833 times
Perfect example: yesterday weatherunderground.com reported a high of 80 degrees (where I am, just north of Red Lodge, Mt) was clear blue skies, no breeze, and I raised a helluva sweat outside under the hot sun, changing out my spark-plugs, and tomorrow it's saying we'll be LUCKY if we reach 31 degrees...with 100% chance of heavy/wet snow forcasted.

After the ground turns to 'gumbo/pudding' I'll be lucky if I can get back out to fix fence by the weekend.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. If you're from BELOW sea-level (not sure what part of Louisiana you're from) then PLEASE remember to NOT over-exert yourselves and keep yourselves hydrated (water ONLY !) because once you start getting migraine-style headaches, and if urine starts looking REALLY 'orange-ish/yellow' (and burns) you're already 'dehydrated' and pushing yourself harder (at high altitude) can result in a visit to the emergency-room.

Just trying to be helpful. I've seen lots of tourists from low-lying areas literally beat themselves up in an futile-attempt to cross off everything possible on the 'bucket list'.

Stay safe, and 'arrive alive'.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
Perfect example: yesterday weatherunderground.com reported a high of 80 degrees (where I am, just north of Red Lodge, Mt) was clear blue skies, no breeze, and I raised a helluva sweat outside under the hot sun, changing out my spark-plugs, and tomorrow it's saying we'll be LUCKY if we reach 31 degrees...with 100% chance of heavy/wet snow forcasted.

After the ground turns to 'gumbo/pudding' I'll be lucky if I can get back out to fix fence by the weekend.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. If you're from BELOW sea-level (not sure what part of Louisiana you're from) then PLEASE remember to NOT over-exert yourselves and keep yourselves hydrated (water ONLY !) because once you start getting migraine-style headaches, and if urine starts looking REALLY 'orange-ish/yellow' (and burns) you're already 'dehydrated' and pushing yourself harder (at high altitude) can result in a visit to the emergency-room.

Just trying to be helpful. I've seen lots of tourists from low-lying areas literally beat themselves up in an futile-attempt to cross off everything possible on the 'bucket list'.

Stay safe, and 'arrive alive'.
Can't rep Ya...

Thanks a lot for that hydrating tip. I'm on the west side of New Orleans, that place is below sea level. We're at the very high altitude of 24-26 ft above hahaha...
Probably won't be exerting too much, but being at a higher altitude, some hikes may be pushing. Definitely be drinking plenty of h2o. I'm just looking to recharge my batteries and relax. I want to go hiking a lot but my knee says otherwise lol. But, we're staying a few days and we'll make most of it. Thank you again!!

Old 10-10-2016, 02:05 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,850,990 times
do not count on the reservations made for out of the park lodging by the park service reservation system. they work well for inside the park but we were treated to one bait and switch for a vastly more expensive room at one resort and the motel was at the 1 star level. Did not like the former and kind of enjoyed the latter.

It was in West Yellowstone over labor Day Weekend and one morning just before dawn I stood in the middle of a street junction and did not see any cars moving for about 5 minutes. It was on a Holiday weekend.

I agree with all the previous posters. Be careful of the cold (what a native calls chill can freeze a Cajun) and the altitude. Very careful of the altitude. You can go inside to warm up but will need an outside Oxygen supply if you start fainting. Fortunately they are available. Use on if you need it.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:35 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,304,632 times
If you hiking more then the geyser basins, get some bear spray....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: