Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 11:02 PM

65 posts, read 61,615 times

Advertisements

First off, thanks to those who answered my questions last month, that was so very helpful!

I'm hoping to head out to Jackson area in a couple of weeks or so. Is there such a thing as a dog park in Jackson hole? I couldn't find one. If not, is there a fairly safe place to let my older half blind rott mix off leash? Out of park boundaries? I'm not worried about him harassing wildlife, not for more than a second or so- he will stop and come back right away when called, but I'm a bit worried about coyotes or bears. They could easily take him. His cataracts are bad enough he might not even see other animals. ...Should I be worried?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 11:34 PM

788 posts, read 1,742,218 times
I'd be hesitant to do so in Jackson due to the amount of people/wildlife/rules but I don't live there so not for sure. If you happen to come thru Lander the bus loop is an excellent place to let dogs run off leash.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:20 AM

Thanks. I may be there for a month or so, so am really hoping to find a place or 2.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:10 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,567 times
To be completely honest, it's not so much the coyote's, bears or even the occasional Lycanthrope's (they are WAY-worse during full-moon cycles, such as right now) passing through Jackson, but rather it is the Xenomorphs which I have found tend to cause the most havoc with un-attended pets...especially bigger dogs...

...they come out mostly at night...MOSTLY...and they are SUCH a pain to exterminate...wonderful defense-mechanisms...you don't DARE try to kill 'em...

https://youtu.be/nFyIXwnfDZM

Old 05-01-2018, 03:57 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,794,511 times
To my knowledge previous dog parks IN Jackson have been closed and talks to establish a new permanent one are ongoing.

This is the only thing I found: https://www.jacksonholewy.com/blog/d...-jackson-hole/

Check them out, pick one or two, try the first half-mile to mile. Retreat if you don't feel comfortable.

This guide https://www.amazon.com/Doggie-Doings.../dp/0967955009 is extremely old but could still have some useful info if cross-checked.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-01-2018 at 04:12 PM..

Old 05-01-2018, 04:30 PM

Thanks NW, that is helpful. Maybe there is a highway rest area as well? I find if I keep him on leash till I get to the peripheries of one no one complains.

My dog is going to be really pissed at me some days...

Old 05-01-2018, 04:56 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Be cautious. There are dangers, particularly from wolves and the big cats. Wolves have killed young and healthy dogs who were trying to play with them. Keep your dog close. You can buy a 25' or even 50' leash—not the retractable kind. You can shorten it easily or let it out. The 25' is better. You don't want your dog to be fifty feet away. The rest area near the summit of South Pass has an enclosed dog yard, but it's tiny,

I live in a rural area with the same wildlife as Jackson. I have a fourteen year old dog. I don't need a leash because she stays within a few feet of me. For her regular trips out, she has the benefit of an eight foot board fence.

There are no venomous snakes near Jackson, but there are venomous snakes here east of the Continental Divide along with Carbon County. There are various species in the surrounding states as well. Talk to your vet about a vaccination.

Think of your dog as having the common sense of a small child, regardless of how intelligent your dog is. A few precautions will insure a great time for both of you.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:58 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,794,511 times
Rest area on Hwy 26 is not marked as a pet exercise area http://www.dot.state.wy.us/files/liv...20brochure.pdf but probably sees such use- unless posted against and patrolled...

Could call visitors bureau or town and ask for advice. Even if they don't help, it would apply some pressure.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-01-2018 at 05:06 PM..

Old 05-02-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Be cautious. There are dangers, particularly from wolves and the big cats. Wolves have killed young and healthy dogs who were trying to play with them. Keep your dog close. You can buy a 25' or even 50' leash—not the retractable kind. You can shorten it easily or let it out. The 25' is better. You don't want your dog to be fifty feet away. The rest area near the summit of South Pass has an enclosed dog yard, but it's tiny,

I live in a rural area with the same wildlife as Jackson. I have a fourteen year old dog. I don't need a leash because she stays within a few feet of me. For her regular trips out, she has the benefit of an eight foot board fence.

There are no venomous snakes near Jackson, but there are venomous snakes here east of the Continental Divide along with Carbon County. There are various species in the surrounding states as well. Talk to your vet about a vaccination.

Think of your dog as having the common sense of a small child, regardless of how intelligent your dog is. A few precautions will insure a great time for both of you.
thank you so much Happy, my dog means a lot to me. I can make a 25 ft leash tomorrow. He'll be getting a rattlesnake vaccine next week, I'm going to the badlands near the black hills as well- lots of snakes. LOL, my dog is not terribly smart- but he's a very good boy.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Rest area on Hwy 26 is not marked as a pet exercise area http://www.dot.state.wy.us/files/liv...20brochure.pdf but probably sees such use- unless posted against and patrolled...

Could call visitors bureau or town and ask for advice. Even if they don't help, it would apply some pressure.
Thank you thank you thank you! And yes, applying pressure won't hurt.

BTW, I had an email conversation with Teton park about having IGBC approved coolers in front country campsites that don't have bear boxes. They changed their policy- they now allow the coolers outside of vehicles if necessary. I plan on cabling the cooler to a tree or something. I explained I would be sleeping in a car with a big dog and it didn't make much sense to store the cooler IN the car while sleeping in it. I'll have to print out the staff email response as I doubt all rangers will be notified. But then, IDK, maybe they are more organized than other bureaucracies...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: