Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 03:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times

Advertisements

Stick with living and working in Cheyenne (lower housing costs + tax and commute benefit)

Ft Collins (and colorado in general) is better to visit than to live. IMHO

Your horse hobby will likely be better served in Cheyenne.

I would have chosen Laramie, but... your job is in Cheyenne, so... visit Laramie when possible too!

Maybe you can find a place to live up Happy Jack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 06:35 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,362,856 times
There are probably those that live in other parts of Wyoming that look at Cheyenne as a “big city”, with some “big city problems” more than a “cowboy” type area. I could understand that, but, we like Cheyenne.....especially during CFD.

I’ve been in Laramie, Casper and Sheridan and all three are more “cowboy” than Cheyenne is, but that’s because it’s had more of an influx of “non-cowboy” “big-city” type people from big cities to the south and east. That does happen. Seen that happen to the “horse town” of Norco, Calif.. I attended a Roping School there in the early 90’s. At that time more and more people from cities in Orange County were moving there and wanting to change Norco into a much less “horse town” and it was driving the locals nuts. Don’t know what Norco is like today, but this has happened to some “horse towns” and “farm towns in America. Outsiders want a lower COL, but hate the smell of horses, cattle and other livestock.

Sorry for the long paragraph above, but I’ve seen “first-hand” this happen.

Old 05-12-2018, 02:33 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,252,336 times
Live in Cheyenne. Trying to drive to Ft Collins and back to Cheyenne for work in winter would be pretty treacherous.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:17 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,362,856 times
It was hard enough for me to drive from Parker to a mile past Coors Field in Denver, for my job, when we lived there. That was about 28 miles each way. I was in my early 50's thru mid 50's when I done that and sure wouldn't do that today at almost 69 years old.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:57 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,372,008 times
I would go with Cheyenne, just because the home prices in Fort Fun and the area are high, and WY doesn't have an income tax. If you get bored in Cheyenne, just drive down to CO.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:47 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,595,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
Cheyenne isn't Wyoming. It is more-so just an extension of the Colorado Front Range. Don't move to Cheyenne and think you are in the real Wyoming.
There are no Colorado gun laws in Cheyenne.

There are mighty few liberals in Cheyenne.

I moved to Colorado from Illinois in 1967; it slowly turned into Little California. In 2002 I moved to Wyoming. Nothing could get me back to sad, broken Colorado.

Wyoming is the best place in the world to live.

What's the difference between Wyoming and Heaven?

You have to be dead to go to Heaven.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:23 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
There are no Colorado gun laws in Cheyenne.

There are mighty few liberals in Cheyenne.

I moved to Colorado from Illinois in 1967; it slowly turned into Little California. In 2002 I moved to Wyoming. Nothing could get me back to sad, broken Colorado.

Wyoming is the best place in the world to live.

What's the difference between Wyoming and Heaven?

You have to be dead to go to Heaven.
..........NOTE: ..........I accordance with keeping this post on topic, .......my assessment of having lived in the Bouulder area and traveled extensively to Fort Collins, Cheyenne, Laramie and Casper for over 30 yrs (job related and required), resulted (IMHO) in significant knowledge of the area.

........Lived in the foothills of the Boulder area and traveled CO, ..WY, ..MT & UT for almost 30 years,and have a daughter who graduated from the University in Fort Collins .........I can speak with some back ground related to the questions in the mind of the OP.
Regarding the CO front range from Boulder to Fort Collins, the ruinous effects, life styles and liberal philosophies of east coast and west coast transplants changed the area to the point that we sold our beautiful mountain home on 2 acres at 6750 elevation up a fantastic canyon and..........moved to several forested acres on a year-round creek, in a beautiful river valley between two mountain ranges at 3550' in Montana...................Absolutely the most intelligent decision we ever made.
This type of rural living isn't for everyone (thank God!!!)..........winters can be rough, ...cost of living is considered by some to be high, .....jobs are hard to find (good paying jobs are REALLY hard to find), .....transplants that don't leave their former 'west & east coast life styles behind' ......don't fit too well.
I guess that may be one of the reasons why there are only 6.9 humans PER SQUARE MILE!

I would love to see a survey that asks ' Montanans' and Wyomingites to list the ten most important "things" in their daily lives............:
How about: .......God,...family...freedom...peace & quiet...privacy...nature...good neighbors...horses...dogs and firearms.
I certainly can't speak for other folks, .....but this list suits me just fine..........
Again referring to the info provided by the OP, ...........I would choose Cheyenne!!!! .........
Rental costs would certainly be less than the other cities(college town rentals are always higher).
Having a horse would definitely be less expensive in the Cheyenne area. (Our family had 3 horses when we lived in the Boulder area and the daughter boarded one while at Colo State U.,......know the costs well!!!

Old 05-17-2018, 08:08 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,385,848 times
Considering Colo State is graduating a few thousand kids with degrees every year, some of whom want to stay in the area, I wouldn't assume getting work there is necessarily easy, nor that the pay would make the commute worthwile, unless you have a very high demand specialty. Definetely do some research on the employability of your skill set between the two areas.

In so far as Cheyenne being boring or not, that really is a personal perspective. If you need to have wide number of continual and varied external factors to feel engaged with a city, then yes, it may be boring. Some of the most civil people Iv'e met have been in smaller cities and towns in places most wouldn't give a second glance.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:23 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,286,627 times
but Montana Griz , you got that liberal influence developing all that farm land in the Gallatin Valley

Old 05-17-2018, 12:35 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
but Montana Griz , you got that liberal influence developing all that farm land in the Gallatin Valley
Yeah, ...and we want to keep them over there!
I have a niece who built a home over there about 16 months ago, her son lives there,......she just sold it,....made a nice profit and told me that at age 67, she has had it with Bozeman........she just built one one the outskirts of Santa Fe. on a lot twice as big,...with a pool....same size house, all for the $$$$$ she got out of the Bozeman house and much better winter weather........I think she will fit in better down there..........she is a little on the "artsy" side and still likes to ride horses.....so I can't disagree with her thinking on her choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming