Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 09:23 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
Known a few LDS couples That did missions to Deseret Cattle & Citrus. Plus My neighbors Son did a 2 year LDS mission to Florida. Know a few Cowboys went down and worked ranches for a few years and then came back. Know a Girl keeps fallowing her BF back there....
I didn't know ranching was a thing in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 10:09 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Florida ranked 13th in beef cows plus has one of the biggest cow calf operations

Old 10-15-2019, 05:16 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times
Quote:
I met some cattle ranchers last time I was there. From the Palatka area. Visited a couple outfits and went to a community event for ranchers one weekend.

We joked the only difference was they can wear straw hats year round.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:36 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,376,989 times
We went to one PRCA rodeo in Lake City, and to me, it was a joke. The total purse was very low and it looked like all of the contestants were Permit holders. I had definitely been to much better rodeos in So California, Colorado and Wyoming.

Florida does have cattle, but I'd chose Wyoming any day over Florida...…….even if they do wear straw hats year round!

Old 10-16-2019, 04:12 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Florida ranked 13th in beef cows plus has one of the biggest cow calf operations
I knew there were a lot of dairy farms there but didn't know that was the case with beef cattle. Do they raise breeds like Angus and Herefords or different more heat resistant breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I met some cattle ranchers last time I was there. From the Palatka area. Visited a couple outfits and went to a community event for ranchers one weekend.

Straw hats and probably no Carhart coats.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:01 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,567 times
"Straw hats and probably no Carhart coats."

While stationed at Macdill AFB (in Tampa, from Nov 88 to July 90) I recall having to pack a carhartt jacket with me on my weekend rides to bike-races at Sebring, Moroso & Daytona during fall/winter and early spring, in Florida. It never got downright freezing while I was there, but it could get chilly after dark on my little 900 Ninja, even with the heat coming-up from underneath the fairings & feul-tank.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post

we have grizzlies they have alligators

Old 10-17-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I knew there were a lot of dairy farms there but didn't know that was the case with beef cattle. Do they raise breeds like Angus and Herefords or different more heat resistant breed?

Straw hats and probably no Carhart coats.
bet most the cattle have a lot more ear, and they don't have a 45 day calving season it usually a few months long, with some places calve year round . Desert usually rank in the top 3 or 4 sometimes number on cow herd size in the USA

Old 10-17-2019, 11:24 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Quote:
we have grizzlies they have alligators
Believe it or not, Jody, during the 10 1/2 years we lived in Jacksonville, Florida, we only seen one gator in the open. It was like a "teenager" size, laying next to a retention pond by a boat ramp area. There was a metal fence that separated the boat ramp area from the retention pond.

Old 10-17-2019, 05:36 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Ocala Florida is huge horse country, I never knew it either until we went camping there and were amazed at how many horse farms, ranches and trail rides going on. We camped at a campground and when we woke up Saturday morning every spot in the campground was filled with horse trailers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming