Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 10:21 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
One thing for sure, I'd think, that the young crowd in Cheyenne, wouldn't be listening to rap music. To me, rap music just doesn't match with music in Wyoming, or even the surrounding area. Rap music is more for Denver and other large/larger cities in the U.S. like Chicago, Los Angeles, NYC.
Rap music is listened to coast to coast. I'm sure if you were to set foot at any Cheyenne high school you would hear rap music blaring from quite a few vehicles. You would also hear country music from some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 12:27 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Rap music is listened to coast to coast. I'm sure if you were to set foot at any Cheyenne high school you would hear rap music blaring from quite a few vehicles. You would also hear country music from some.
Not everywhere coast to coast. People who like rap may think that, but I seriously doubt that some farm high school student on a tractor doing field work or ranch high school student working cattle on a ranch, would be listening to rap music while working. I'd say that certain parts of Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, the Dakota's, Nebraska, Kansas and some other states, young people aren't sitting around listening to rap somewhere. I'm pretty sure FFA and 4-H livestock showing students wouldn't be listening to it, or things have changed enormously. Very hard for me to believe that. Young kids that take care of and ride horses, in Horse Shows or just trail riding, don't listen to the stuff.

I know better that to believe that rap is heard and played everywhere in the U.S..

Old 03-03-2019, 01:20 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
CFD has events that appeal to a wide variety of people. I think it's great. It doesn't have to be only a single theme for me and my friends to enjoy it.

As to rap; when I got a tractor with a cassette player I told neighbors I was excited to finally be able to listen to music, but I had no cassettes. They bought me quite a variety. Johnny Cash, Led Zeppelin, Doris Day, Eminem, AC/DC, Gritz, Muddy Waters, pow wow drumming, Irish pub tunes, etc. My neighbors were all cattle ranchers and hay farmers like me.

We don't fit in boxes very well.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
CFD has events that appeal to a wide variety of people. I think it's great. It doesn't have to be only a single theme for me and my friends to enjoy it.

As to rap; when I got a tractor with a cassette player I told neighbors I was excited to finally be able to listen to music, but I had no cassettes. They bought me quite a variety. Johnny Cash, Led Zeppelin, Doris Day, Eminem, AC/DC, Gritz, Muddy Waters, pow wow drumming, Irish pub tunes, etc. My neighbors were all cattle ranchers and hay farmers like me.

We don't fit in boxes very well.
Well, back in my days of farming in northeastern Indiana, in the middle to late 60’s, we didn’t have any kind of music players on tractors. I would still seriously doubt that all young farmers and rancher in America, would listen to rap. Perhaps some would, but not all. Just like, I would think, that very few young farmers and ranchers would have tattoos all over their arms, legs, on the neck and possibly on the face.

I definitely wouldn’t think that I’d see a rancher out doctoring/branding cattle in Wyoming or Montana covered in tattoos, with a boom box blaring rap music or any music at all.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
LoveBoating:

I'm pretty sure FFA and 4-H livestock showing students wouldn't be listening to it,... Young kids that take care of and ride horses, in Horse Shows or just trail riding, don't listen to the stuff.

I would still seriously doubt that all young farmers and rancher in America, would listen to rap. ... I would think, that very few young farmers and ranchers would have tattoos all over their arms, legs, on the neck and possibly on the face.

I definitely wouldn’t think that I’d see a rancher out doctoring/branding cattle in Wyoming or Montana covered in tattoos, with a boom box blaring rap music or any music at all.
You may be surprised...

In FL, in CO, in WY (and everywhere)... your world has changed (as it does every moment.)

You can be surprised, but no need to be disappointed.

Blaze your own trail in life, leave a legacy (you have the choice what that legacy will be.)

Don't sweat the small stuff.
At age 70, you don't have time for that! (neither do we).

Enjoy what's left!

Old 03-03-2019, 04:11 PM

Well, Colorado hasn’t changed to where there is no more corn fields, tractors or cattle grazing. We were there last July and seen this stuff. Seen lots of open land between Ft Collins and Cheyenne. Greeley still has grain silos standing.

Change does happen, but.....

All I’m saying is that CFD is a, like advertised, “a celebration of the Old West NOT the New West. Rap and hip-hop are ok in some parts of the U.S., but definitely not everywhere.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:03 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Not everywhere coast to coast. People who like rap may think that, but I seriously doubt that some farm high school student on a tractor doing field work or ranch high school student working cattle on a ranch, would be listening to rap music while working. I'd say that certain parts of Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, the Dakota's, Nebraska, Kansas and some other states, young people aren't sitting around listening to rap somewhere. I'm pretty sure FFA and 4-H livestock showing students wouldn't be listening to it, or things have changed enormously. Very hard for me to believe that. Young kids that take care of and ride horses, in Horse Shows or just trail riding, don't listen to the stuff.

I know better that to believe that rap is heard and played everywhere in the U.S..
I've heard rap music playing in plenty of small towns around the country including in several of the states you've mentioned. I'll agree that most kids on farms and ranches are more likely to listen to country, but even then I wouldn't be so sure. I've even heard it at rodeos a few times. Just short snippets during bull riding, saddle bronc, and bareback riding and it's not common, but it's there.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:25 AM

We've been to many, many rodeos, thru So California (California Circuit), along the Front Range of Colorado and the southeastern part of Wyoming (Laramie & Cheyenne) aka Mountain States Circuit, and have never heard rap played at any of them. Did go to Las Vegas for the Copenhagen/Skoal Winter Finals Rodeo in 2001 at the MGM Gardens and they were playing an Aerosmith song, at the beginning, while showing animation of different rodeo events on a big screen. It was pretty cool.

Unlike years ago, I'm now hearing more rock music on the speaker system during each rodeo event. I knew an old rodeo competitor/PRCA card holder that wanted rodeo to go back to the old days and, as he stated it, "stop turning rodeo into a rock concert with rodeo events."

As for wife and I, hearing the rock music didn't bother us at all. Sort of added to the action in the arena. So, if MC Hammer's song You Can't Touch This, adds to the excitement of rodeo...…...bring it on!!

Old 03-04-2019, 10:21 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times
According to Nielson's mid year report from 2018, rock was displaced by hip-hop/R&B as the dominate music genre being consumed by the public across all methods. When it comes to actual record sales, rock still leads, but its numbers are steadily declining as electronic mediums such as downloads and streaming continue to climb.

Also considering rock has different categories within the genre, so does the hip-hop. With a varied range of gangster, east coast, new jack, metal fusion, pop rap, and even country rap, it is a continually expanding category that crosses numerous social boundary lines much like rock was doing at its peak.

Similar to the times when rock music started and began to proliferate daily life all across the country and was negatively viewed, we are in a time when hip-hop/R&B music's influence and expansion is spreading across daily life as well. It will continual to evolve and live along side many other types of music until something else comes along that captures the attention of a generation yet to be born.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:24 AM

Ok, after doing some online research I found these three things:

Cowboy Up...…..the official PRCA rodeo album of ALL country music artists. Nothing on this has rap or hip-hop music.

BUT, there is a rap artist that calls himself Mikel Knight and does a rap song called Welcome 2 The Rodeo. It has quite the beat to it.

PLUS...…..there is a new thing called Hip Hop Cowboys, which is an actually rodeo set to hip hop, rap, blues zydeco and house music. This rodeo took place in summer of 2018. One of the bull riders is a rap singer. Another one of these will take place this year, 2019, in Mesquite, Texas. From what I've read, Hip Hop Cowboys is NOT sanctioned by PRCA.

Really don't know how many rodeo fans in Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, or any of the High Plains states would go to a Hip Hop Cowboys rodeo. I'm fairly sure there wouldn't be any "Baby Boomers", like wife and I, there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming