Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2019, 06:15 AM

24 posts, read 39,881 times

Advertisements

I'm investigating different places where I can eventually (within the next ten years) relocate and remain for the long term. I currently live where I was born and raised in crime-infested Baltimore, and after being a victim of violent crime plus some other factors, I cannot see myself remaining here. My mindset is oriented towards libertarianism, so I am looking at places where I can be around more like-minded people. I'm also looking for safety and a more simplified life.

Wyoming is one of the states I am looking at. To be more specific, I am looking at the "larger" cities in Wyoming such as Cheyenne, Laramie, and Casper. I'm open to other places in the state as well - my heart isn't set on anything. I intend to drop by the state probably some time next month, particularly the south-east portion of the state. I was wondering if those of you who live here already could give me ideas for ways I can get a realistic vision of how people live and survive in this state? What should I observe? What should I look at? I'm doing a lot of independent research of my own as well, but I would really like to hear from locals.

A little more background on myself - I am single, no marriage prospects, no children. I am currently in a career in public libraries, which I enjoy, but I'm also working on an Information Systems BA (may end up changing to Computer Science). I don't live an extravagant lifestyle. I'm fairly young (under 30).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 09:03 AM

400 posts, read 454,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie90 View Post
I'm investigating different places where I can eventually (within the next ten years) relocate and remain for the long term. I currently live where I was born and raised in crime-infested Baltimore, and after being a victim of violent crime plus some other factors, I cannot see myself remaining here. My mindset is oriented towards libertarianism, so I am looking at places where I can be around more like-minded people. I'm also looking for safety and a more simplified life.

Wyoming is one of the states I am looking at. To be more specific, I am looking at the "larger" cities in Wyoming such as Cheyenne, Laramie, and Casper. I'm open to other places in the state as well - my heart isn't set on anything. I intend to drop by the state probably some time next month, particularly the south-east portion of the state. I was wondering if those of you who live here already could give me ideas for ways I can get a realistic vision of how people live and survive in this state? What should I observe? What should I look at? I'm doing a lot of independent research of my own as well, but I would really like to hear from locals.

A little more background on myself - I am single, no marriage prospects, no children. I am currently in a career in public libraries, which I enjoy, but I'm also working on an Information Systems BA (may end up changing to Computer Science). I don't live an extravagant lifestyle. I'm fairly young (under 30).
Good morning. Have you ever been to any western states before? What did you like/dislike?

Old 04-13-2019, 09:19 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Coming out to visit SE Wyoming is a good "first step".

With a view toward living here, you may want to spend some time checking out the employment opportunities in your career area and the pay/benefits. Knowing your potential earnings will give you a basis to check out potential housing here.

A big attribute of Wyoming living is the outdoor activities scene. So check out the things that interest you and the accessibility. Hunting, fishing, boating, hiking, camping out … are seasonally available activities, some very close to SE Wyoming, some a few hours away in-state and regionally. For example, some as close as 20-ish miles out of Cheyenne with county and state parks, some a bit further away … and then regionally (further distances) the "Black Hills" of NE WY stretching into SD, Buffalo Bill Res by Cody WY, or a big lake such as Lake McConnaughy in NE. We could literally go on for pages and pages about the outdoor recreational opportunities here ….

But do bear in mind that distances here translate into lots of miles and time to access the opportunities. Generally speaking, living in Wyoming will come at a price for your activities … be they recreational, shopping, entertainment, medical access, higher education, etc. You will be driving a lot and public transportation is extremely limited. A good vehicle is essential, and many people have at least two vehicles for the seasonal driving conditions/recreational access, etc. Motor vehicle registration/licensing is expensive, but offset by low real estate property taxes and no state income tax.

In the long view, SE WY winters can be a brutal experience with strong gusty winds and cold temps, not to mention some pretty intense snowstorms. Should you find SE WY to your liking on a mild climate month visit, you may want to revisit during the winter to see how living here at that time presents. Much depends upon how much you are willing to tolerate for inclement weather and the activities of the season. It wouldn't be out of reason to compare the storm fronts that can repeatedly come through SE WY as intense as hurricanes coming through the Baltimore area … to include strong winds, intense gusts, and sub-zero temperatures. The big difference is that SE WY can deliver months of this type of intense weather activity as opposed to a single strong weather passage on the coast.

In my experience, a lot of people move here from "winter climate" areas of the USA thinking that they're well adapted to such a winter and discover … much to their dismay … that SE WY presents a much more difficult environment; if for no better reason than the options of how to deal with passing the time are much more limited than "back home" and the winter season here at altitude lasts months longer than what they were used to dealing with. It's one thing to deal with the depths of winter for 2 months, it's an entirely different experience to see 4-5 months of it. The "gone in 2" syndrome is not unusual here … folk go through a first winter with a rude awakening as to what they got into and then a 2nd winter is just too much to deal with.

The perspective that you're now at 5,000'+ to 6,000'+ elevations in a desert climate compared to a sea level riparian climate is often lost on folk coming from the seaboard areas. There may be health and comfort issues associated with the dry climate (skin, sinuses, hair), UV exposure, the different pollens and irritants here, and the entirely different landscape with so much less vegetation or trees. Any or all of these factors can make life miserable for folk unable or unwilling to adjust to these extreme changes from "back home" … especially if it presents as a chronic discomfort. Couple this with a low population density that cannot support a lot of the "little things" that make life enjoyable "back home" and it can be an overwhelming situation here. For example, the big city retail/restaurant/entertainment environment … you may be acclimated to shopping for what you want/when you want it, or having favorite foods readily available with prompt home delivery on demand … and discover that these attributes just aren't here. For many people, these are little details of what makes life enjoyable "back home" and they don't miss it until it's no longer an option here.

C'mon out, check out the opportunities that present for you and make an informed decision about whether or not SE WY is for you. As well, once you've checked out the area, you'll have a basis upon which to compare other areas of WY and the trade-offs that they present.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:52 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,509 times
As usual Sunsprit hit the nail on the head with his advice.

Having moved to Wyoming from California over two years ago I'd like to add that when you visit really spend some time in the town and check out the grocery store, the library, the local restaurants, because these are the places you'll be using month after month, year after year. Any place can seem exciting as a visitor, you really need to look at the town and area with the eyes of a potential local, and not a visitor or tourist.

Can you really handle living someplace without some of the necessities that your used to, for example we were big Costco shoppers, and now the closest Costco is two hours away, same for Target, and many of our favorite fast food restaurants are two hours or more away. There's entire food cuisines not represented at all in our area of Wyoming. All of these things take some adjustment and consideration.

Good luck to you on your decision on where to live.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:38 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,474,524 times
People's attitudes in WY are going to be night and day different vs the Wash-Balto-Phillie corridor. I'd way just go to these 3 towns/cities in WY and spend a day or 2. Just interact with people.... that's gonna tell you a lot. If you presently get out of the Balto area at all, people in areas like WY are going to be much more like west of you over in the Shenandoah Valley region.

As has been very well said above, unless you are right in town like Cheyenne, you won't have the ready variety of shopping, restaurants, etc., that you are used to, and even then it will be more limited, and you will typically need to drive to it. Car ownership and use is the norm.

Weather? Winter will be like another planet. Eastern/SE/southen WY is pretty much the windiest place in the US, and moreso in winter. You ought to come back then and pay a 1-2 week winter visit. 40-50-60 mph winds gusts on the roads and so forth..... not anything like you are used to... think of super cold, dry nor'easters LOL. If you don't humidity is dramatically lower.. you may, or may not, like that.

IMHO, Idaho may also be a good fit for you.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Consider any western state that is best for your career / income / societal views.

Western states (mindset) are far different than eastern.

WY is quite remote +/-

Just spent a few days in DC with a friend who lived in 5 western states, as well as 3 eastern. While they had some great places (including 4 in Colorado), they really were impressed with the 'people' in WY and said it was the only place they felt 'at-home'. (Sheridan). And true, WY people can be like that.

If I were in my younger earning yrs, I would consider the best experience / income for establishing a career and future opportunities. WY might be a step in that direction, but I feel you will be quite happy in most western states. Highest income, most career options, and an income tax free state (if you are a wage slave), will be a benefit. (WA, NV, SD, WY are all western states and income tax free)

List a few more of your desires (access to recreation, education, interests, hobbies, airports, community classes / volunteer opportunities...)

Old 04-14-2019, 12:30 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
Like mentioned Above, visit the area your are interested in. Stay like you are living there to get the feel of the town you are interested in. Visit during the winter to get the feels of the weather. This time of year, spring, is when Wyoming gets a lot of Snow. I keep track of the weather out in Wyoming.
Best of luck in your search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming