Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 901 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I was wondering if anyone could tell me about Star Valley?
I am from Detroit originally so winter doesn’t scare me but I imagine it’s still very different.

Average weather?
Rental market?
Groceries/food options?
Healthcare?
Are the people welcoming?
I drive a Honda...should I sell and get something better for the weather etc ?
Any and all comments and such would be welcome!

Thanks everyone!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 01:27 PM

788 posts, read 1,742,218 times
Use the search bar...there are quite a few threads on Star Valley already.

Old 09-05-2019, 03:04 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
warm to cool summers snow to extremely cold winters .
Rent can seem, high depends on which valley and where in those valleys you want to live .
three nice grocery stores from alpine-thayne to afton.
nice hospital with a helicopter pad to get you some where bigger if needed, also close to airport for life flights.
mostly Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day saints, there are other religions there also
county and state do a great job of plowing roads .
I sold and moved , to a more Ag friendly area

Old 09-05-2019, 03:33 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,403,388 times
A job offer in Star Valley - where?

Old 09-05-2019, 07:21 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,475,123 times
Low density of settlement compared to Charlotte but not desolate or isolated by any mean by western standards. It's a long valley varying from 5 to 15 miles wide. High mountains to the east and fairly high to the west... pretty much a north-south highway through it. Jackson WY airport is the closest fairly busy airport; Salt Lake City not too awfully far.

Cold and fairly snowy in winter; MUCH MUCH more so than Charlotte. Average low temp in Jan is 7F. What particular Honda do you have? A lot of houses with no AC but not a lot of hot days and it is really dry out there, not at all humid like Charlotte. More like the UP for weather but with lots more sun in winter; not cloudy all winter like the midwest.

Decent groceries around and other basic supplies. Big shopping in Idaho Falls, jut under 2 hours away. So like driving to Greensboro NC to get to the nearest Walmart!

IMHO everyone out in that area is friendly.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:46 PM

400 posts, read 454,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWest34 View Post
Hello!
I am from Detroit originally so winter doesn’t scare me but I imagine it’s still very different.

Average weather?
Rental market?
Groceries/food options?
Healthcare?

Thanks everyone!!!!
Average weather? Pleasant summers. Cold winters in which snow accumulations reach 2-3 feet.

Rental market? Where do you want to be and what are you looking for?

Groceries/food options? Like Jody said, three grocery stores evenly distributed throughout the valley.

Healthcare? Clinics in Alpine, Thayne and Afton. Hospital in Afton.

Are the people welcoming? If you’re a good person and are nice to others, you will do fine. Don’t try to change this place, just fit in. Help your neighbors. Be responsible. Keep your word. Don’t be a jackass, you will begin to develop a reputation the moment you arrive. I’m not telling you these things only for your benefit, I’m engaging in self-defense as well! Win/win.

I drive a Honda...should I sell and get something better for the weather etc ? If that car is paid for and dependable, I’d keep it. Invest in good tires.

Good luck in doing what’s right for you.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:38 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWest34 View Post
Hello!

Average weather?
Rental market?
Groceries/food options?
Healthcare?

Thanks everyone!!!!
Hello there!!! Current resident of Star Valley, I've never been to Detroit so I can't tell you how it compares, but I can tell you about this little slice of heaven we call our home.

Average weather is warm summer that starts in mid-June and lasts until early September. Temperatures in the summer range between mid to upper 70's - mid to upper 80's with a 90° day thrown in here and there. We don't have A/C and get along just fine without it all summer long. It cools down nicely at night and the evenings we almost always have a nice cool breeze come through. Fun rainstorms blow through in the afternoons and evenings in the summer and then they blow right out again.

Winters are cold, snowy, and long. Find a winter activity you love to do because the snow is coming you might as well find a way to enjoy it. Winter starts in November and lasts...well geez we had snow still falling in June this year, but I think usually it lasts until early May? Who knows. It's long. Lol. Let's see it'll get down below freezing every day for months, below zero for a few days during the day, and for a lot of nights. The coldest I've been out walking with my friend around our neighborhood is negative 12. I think anything colder than that is too much. 😜

Rental market is more expensive the closer you are to Jackson, so Alpine is pricey because it's the closest to Jackson, Afton is more reasonable because it's the farthest from Jackson. All other towns are somewhere in between. Lots of retirees up here so rental availability in the winter seems to be available, not as much in the summer.

Groceries, three decent grocery stores. Broulims in Afton being the cheapest. Decent selection, but you still pay more than you do in Idaho Falls or Pocatello for the same food. Fast food is very limited. We have subway, Pizza hut, taco time and Burger King. Little Cesar's is in the gas station, but it's actually pretty good. Restaurant options are mostly American food, with a couple of Mexican places, a couple pizza places, and not much else for variety. There's one seafood place that people seem to like. Most of our major eating out we do in Idaho Falls. Same goes for bulk grocery shopping. There is no Wal Mart here, no Kmart, no target, no anything like that, closest we come is Family Dollar.

Healthcare is good. Three clinics, a hospital, urgent care. Love the doctors here, our dentist, our optometrist etc. You don't feel like cattle up here, they treat you like a real person who they care about, not just a number to get through in the shortest amount of time.

Yes for the most part the people are welcoming. Friendly folk who help one another out when you get stuck on the side of the road, or if you go out of town they'll watch your place for you and roll your trash out on trash day. It's a safe area where you don't worry about theft and crime. People leave their cars running at the bank when they run inside to deposit a check, or at the store. People here will chat you up at the grocery store, and everyone knows everyone so you feel this big sense of community living here.

I drive a Honda Civic. I've lived here almost four winters. Throw some good snow tires on your Honda and you'll be o.k. I've only gotten stuck once and it was in my driveway. 😜

Good luck to you!

Old 09-06-2019, 01:34 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Why do they call it Star Valley?

Old 09-06-2019, 01:58 PM

507 posts, read 662,555 times
LDS Apostle Moses Thacher named the valley in 1870. He named it Star Valley because he said,"it is the star of all valleys."
Started making cheese there in 1890. Would pack the cheese in hay to keep it from freezing on the transit to markets.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:12 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times
I worked with race horses both in Detroit and Windsor. Both in the summer and a couple winters.

I'm not exaggerating much when I tell friends that 45 degrees back there is like 8 degrees here. As long as there wind isn't bad that day.

I can do quite a bit of outdoor work in just a sweatshirt work a couple more under it much of a winter. Layering works.

Summers, I can go as long as there is light. When in Detroit I got heat exhaustion more than once and I was younger and tougher back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming