Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 01:12 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,095 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I've been reading through and I've seen a few people post about areas of Wyoming being run by Mormons, including Evanston. Um... coming from Utah to Wyoming that is definitely NOT the case. You guys don't have state run liquor stores and can buy alcohol on Sunday.

Before you say Wyoming is run by mormons, try Utah. You'll feel like Wyoming is a liberal state.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:48 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,830,289 times
Weren't you aware of the Mormon influence in Utah, before you got there? If you were born there, well that's another side, indeed.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:02 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,107,427 times
I don't think anyone was saying that Wyoming has more mormon influence than any other state. They simply meant that they're noticing the effects of mormon influence. Which, for a state like Wyoming, even a little is a lot.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:22 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Weren't you aware of the Mormon influence in Utah, before you got there? If you were born there, well that's another side, indeed.
I am Mormon, but I'm a Democrat so I tend to view things a little more differenlty than the average Mormon. My parents moved our family to Utah when I was 13. I didn't like it so much that when I was 16 I choose to move out to California to live with family out there. I moved back when I was 18 due to family problems and couldn't get back out.

I guess it's just really hard to see a Mormon influence when it seems like there's a lot more freedoms in Wyoming than in Utah. And honestly, I don't even see that much of a difference (besides the lack of traffic, people, and Hispanics) from Southern California.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:08 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Think of it this way. Live in, say Casper for one year. Then move to Evanston. Then you'll see what's been talked about. A very large increase in the influence. But I really don't think people are talking politically. It's more like "The good ole boy network."

Old 04-16-2008, 09:25 PM

610 posts, read 3,319,536 times
Evanston is largely LDS. Two very strong LDS towns are in Utah 20 and 30 miles north.
Much of the politics in Evanston is dominated by people of the LDS faith.
The Mormons let Evanston stay "Wyoming-ish" so they can go the the horse-racing track up at the state line ... just like they allow Wendover NV to be "Nevada-ish" so they have somewhere to go gambling.
Lived in Utah a couple decades. Lived in Wyoming a couple decades - in Evanston over one decade.
It's Mormon. Sad but true - and Star Valley to the north 125 miles is even more so - but at least it's Wyoming! So, a Mormon can be pretty happy in western Wyoming ... and a Wyominger can be pretty happy in western Wyoming - *note: both will be cold 9 months a year.
It's not unlike living in Nephi but with better beer.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:25 PM

8 posts, read 17,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
I don't think anyone was saying that Wyoming has more mormon influence than any other state. They simply meant that they're noticing the effects of mormon influence. Which, for a state like Wyoming, even a little is a lot.
Maybe no one was saying Wyoming has more Mormon influence than any other state, but I guess I will. I've lived in northern Colorado, southern Colorado, and many different parts of WY and can attest there is a definite Mormon influence the farther west you go.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:38 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,212 times
well evanston,most of starr valley,kemmerer,most towns in the bridger valley,and labarge are at least 50% morman.....if that bothers you ....dont live there

Old 04-18-2008, 08:11 AM

105 posts, read 448,865 times
I have lived in Wyoming all my life except for 2 year when I went and got my Bachelors in Utah. I lived in Green River which has a very large population of the LDS faith. Growing up however I had tons of LDS friends and trust me I am not on their same page when it comes to some of their beliefs or were my parents. But all my LDS friends treated me with respect and never looked down on me for not believing in what they did. When I moved to Utah, wow now that is a different story all in itself. 2 weeks into my first year there I got into an argument in my English 2010 class. A individual of the LDS faith was passing a petition to stop a play performance on a sunday because his Girlfriend had to perform in it. I simply asked him if she knew that she would have a sunday performance when she signed up for the class and he said Yes. Needless to say I did not sign his petition and I was branded by most of the people in my class who were LDS as unethical. It created a big debate and you could tell the people that were out of state. Long story made short is that Mormons who live in Utah are way more "their way or the highway" than the ones in Wyoming. This is all JMO and my two cents worth. I hope I did not offend anyone

Old 04-18-2008, 01:16 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,081 times
Any border state of Utah in the area closest to Beehive state your going to have a stronger Mormon influence then the parts that are away from Utah. Star Valley in eastcentral Wyoming has a very strong LDS influence but as workers from Jackson move in that influence is decreasing. huge temple in Idaho Falls in southeastern Idaho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming