Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 09:45 PM

8 posts, read 36,137 times

Advertisements

We (me, wife, son) are interested in Laramie for a reloacation ... and I've got a few questions.

1. We've got 4 horses. Many of the covenants around there allow only two. Any ideas on acreages for sale (to build)?

2. Real estate prices seem high. I see other theads predicting a drop in real estate in other parts of Wyoming. Does anyone predict the same around Laramie?

3. Water seems to be an issue. As we drove around, I saw many acreages that had flatbeds and 300 gallon water tanks, apparently to haul water in. What, exactly, is wrong with the water in the Laramie area? Is it lack of water, or is it some qualitative problem, like nitrates, or some mineral problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 07:25 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
1) If you're really looking for rural acreage, then there won't be covenants or HOA's. Look for at least a 40 acre parcel that's not in a subdivision. Larger parcels would be even better, especially if you're thinking you're going to pasture your horses for a portion of the year. The growing season is short and there will not be an abundance of feed grasses ... you'll be buying hay for most of the year in Laramie. I figure it takes about 80-100 acres to support a grazing horse in this area if you've got good ground/soil, adequate irrigation water, etc. It's very easy to "overgraze" the fragile soil/grasses in this area, and you'll have nothing left within a year or two except barren ground and tumbleweeds if you don't closely control the horses' grazing.

2) Due to the UWyoming and the economic basis of the town, Laramie is far more stable of a marketplace than the "boom town" economies of many other places in Wyoming. Absent a total national economic downturn, I don't think you'll see a drop in housing/acreage prices there. I think you'll see prices hold steady or even increase in the near term.

3) Water availability is the problem, even for domestic use size wells ... 25 GPM or less wells may not produce at many sites. That's why I'd be looking for a property with an established/proven producing well for domestic and stock water.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the reply. We figured that we'd need to feed the stock ... grazing looks to be pretty inefficient around there.

I'm still surprised about land costs. I heard yesterday about an unimproved 5 acre spot north of town selling for $120,000 ... no fence, no utilities, just dirt. Nearly $25K/acre seems like the Jackson price range!

If anyone else hears of acreage prices, please post a reply or pm.

The water issue seems to be a big issue, though if we do buy land, and it does have water, at least we'll know the value will rise.

I would have thought there'd be more berm-type homes out there -- protected from the wind and all -- but I didn't see any.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:17 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Somebody's just "fishing" for an out-of-state unknowledgeable buyer if they've got an unimproved 5 acre parcel (which I infer to mean no utilities, no fencing, no water, no roads ... totally unimproved in any manner) at $25K/acre (and only 5 acres) in the Laramie area unless they're selling something else to give it "value added", maybe a mineral right or a spectacular location.

Although I can't think of any minerals in that area or great sites just North of town, either.

Unimproved land parcels of 40 acres ... such as Wild Horse Ranch, as a "benchmark" price point in a platted land development, start at $2,000 per acre in the area.

Part of your land buying search will depend upon how close you need to be to town for access ... job, business, medical, school(s), etc. Closer in will be more expensive with the possibility of municipal services (sewer, power, water, roads/maintenance).

Google Wyoming Homes and Land in Laramie (albany county) and check out their listings ... there's a fair number available right now, someting may be close to what you're seeking. Knowing the price point you're looking to spend also helps narrow down the search.

"Berm" houses have not been a popular form of construction in the area. I don't know why, they and "envelope" houses have a lot to offer functionally in this climate area in terms of energy conservation and wind proofing a house.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:15 PM

144 posts, read 627,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghymh View Post
Thanks for the reply. We figured that we'd need to feed the stock ... grazing looks to be pretty inefficient around there.

I'm still surprised about land costs. I heard yesterday about an unimproved 5 acre spot north of town selling for $120,000 ... no fence, no utilities, just dirt. Nearly $25K/acre seems like the Jackson price range!

If anyone else hears of acreage prices, please post a reply or pm.

The water issue seems to be a big issue, though if we do buy land, and it does have water, at least we'll know the value will rise.

I would have thought there'd be more berm-type homes out there -- protected from the wind and all -- but I didn't see any.
I'm not that familiar with the Laramie area, but the price you've been quoted seems wildly inflated. Over here in Goshen county, actual working farmland (the kind that can actually support some livestock) sells for around $1000 per acre.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:11 AM

Yep, I know ... land is difficult to price, but I'm thinking that between $2000/acre and $3500/acre would be the likely range around there. (More expensive than irrigated cropland! But probably the going price.)

Does anyone know of a realtor who specializes in this sort of thing?

Or ... I was thinking that maybe contacting a builder would get somewhere ... "Gee, I'd like to have you build my house, barn, and shed, but I can't find any land -- maybe you know of something?"

Old 08-01-2008, 07:41 PM

Thanks, everyone.

Any word out there on the Harney Creek Ranch, south of town?

Old 08-04-2008, 02:28 PM

258 posts, read 1,000,103 times
Quote:
We (me, wife, son) are interested in Laramie for a reloacation ... and I've got a few questions.

1. We've got 4 horses. Many of the covenants around there allow only two. Any ideas on acreages for sale (to build)?

2. Real estate prices seem high. I see other theads predicting a drop in real estate in other parts of Wyoming. Does anyone predict the same around Laramie?

3. Water seems to be an issue. As we drove around, I saw many acreages that had flatbeds and 300 gallon water tanks, apparently to haul water in. What, exactly, is wrong with the water in the Laramie area? Is it lack of water, or is it some qualitative problem, like nitrates, or some mineral problem?
I can't see property values dropping in any of the desirable areas of WY for the foreseable future. Regarding your water question - yes, all of the above all over the state. Be SURE you have potable water and plenty of it. Also, if you are out of town, be sure you have water rights that will allow you to irrigate whatever grass/hay you want to graze your horses on. Otherwise, you'll be feeding hay year around. And a heads up for anyone reading/hearing/seeing those ads for larger acreages for, seemingly, VERY low prices, they probably have no water rights and may not have utilities to the property and may never have any. Buyers, be VERY careful! It's hard to make a living farming wind!

And, yes, wind - I hope you like it strong, constant, and dry because Laramie has it in spades. Other than all that, Laramie's a great place!

Old 08-04-2008, 02:31 PM

258 posts, read 1,000,103 times
Quote:

Oh, no, a 5 acre vacant parcel in Jackson would cost several MILLION! Honest, I used to live there and was in the real estate biz!

Last edited by Kristynwy; 08-04-2008 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: fixed the quote for you ;)

Old 08-28-2008, 04:06 PM

68 posts, read 233,696 times
jbhymh-check your pm's. I sent you something.
I am also relocating and after researching for the past 8 months or longer, we've decided on the Laramie area (even with the wind). I'd actually prefer Wheatland or Medicine Bow...

Michele
Relocating from Louisville, KY to Laramie, WY to follow our dreams!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming