Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:38 PM

231 posts, read 785,220 times

Advertisements

Copen333, I'll be moving there next week! Sometime we should all get together for a bite to eat or something. Even though I'm not there yet, I've pretty much discovered everything the internet has to offer about the area, and I have to say that, for its size, Pinedale seems like a very well-kept, modern little town. Its aquatics center and beautiful library and seemingly great high school blow what I'm used to out of the water, quite frankly. I hear the winters get really cold, particularly in that area...maybe its the elevation? I'm not sure. Just remember to dress in layers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 09:55 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copen333 View Post
I am moving to Pinedale Wyoming as well. Is it true it is about two hours to the nearest Walmart? Also, why if only one grocery store in the city do they carry awful produce? Any local info for a Georgian who is moving due to her husband getting a good job so kind of have to move to Wyoming now any have? How cold does it get? And I know rent hurts up there but do people really need snow mobiles to get around unless they live in the actual city where prices are higher?
You'll find excellent produce throughout the year. You don't need a snowmobile but a 4WD is very handy.

Ignore the naysayers. I don't know what their problem is. We welcome productive people from all over who wish to share our lifestyle.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:00 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Ignore the naysayers. I don't know what their problem is. We welcome productive people from all over who wish to share our lifestyle.
That's the bottom line and very true. I hope you find things to enjoy during your time here. You may even make Wyoming your home.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:32 AM

382 posts, read 937,097 times
No one needs a snow mobile. You don't even need 4wd. I drive a Nissan Versa all winter long. Front wheel drive and chains for once or twice a year.

Bountiful Baskets does weekly produce and fruit and is a great deal. The grocery store is not bad at all.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:10 AM

16 posts, read 38,338 times
Copen333,

Welcome to Pinedale! Pinedale is a great small town. Yes, the nearest Wal-Mart is in Rock Springs, which is about 100 miles away. However, we just recently got an Alco store and will soon have a Family Dollar. My family and I moved to Wyoming five years ago from Tennessee, so I understand the importance of a Wal-mart nearby, but you learn to adjust. We have been in Pinedale for the past year and have enjoyed it. There are numerous activities for children. I have four children and they love the schools here.

I pastor a church in Pinedale, and if you need anything, please let me know.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:19 AM

16 posts, read 38,338 times
Copen333,

As for the weather, embrace it! Come in knowing that it is going to be cold, windy, and lots of snow. Dress appropriately and drive carefully. No need for a snowmobile, but I enjoy our 4wd vehicles. Make sure you have a tow rope and take it with you whenever you travel in the winter. Sooner or later you will need to be pulled out of the snow or will come across someone who needs to be pulled out of the snow. Also pack a winter supply bag to keep with you in your vehicle (water, food, blankets, flashlight, etc..).

Wyoming is a great place to live and raise a family. Over the past five years it has become our home and I cannot imagine living anywhere else.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:45 PM

231 posts, read 785,220 times
About winter driving, just remember that however fancy your rig might be, it won't make up for bad driving! I can't remember where I read it, but I read a news article somewhere that said many winter accidents happen to people who have 4wd, all winter tires, etc., thinking that having those things is all that matters. When the snow starts falling and the roads get icy, the #1 rule is: take it slower. Start braking sooner and more gently, take curves slower, don't accelerate too fast...etc.

I just got to Pinedale a couple of days ago from Pennsylvania and I love it already. As far as I'm concerned, the town of Pinedale itself is not so different from any other town, really. Everything you really need is in town, I think. Ridley's has the groceries you need and also has other things like a pharmacy. It kind of reminds me of a smaller version of Walmart, to be honest. I don't miss Walmart or Kmart. The only thing is there is no hospital in town (I think there are a couple of doctors with offices though) so in certain situations that could be irritating having to travel for certain services.

Also, I find that many people I meet in town are of diverse ethnic and geographical origins. I saw a hispanic family in the market the other day speaking Spanish, have made friends with an older African-American couple who are from NYC originally, etc. I also know plenty of people who were raised here, and most of them are "normal" too. Not everyone out here is a cowboy or mountain man. But there are plenty of those too.

Having such a diverse population from all walks of life makes it easier and more interesting assimilating into the city, I think. I was afraid that everyone here would be generational natives who shun outsiders, but so far I haven't met or even heard about one person here who is like that.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:32 AM

6 posts, read 10,715 times
branDcalf, It's not that I am not excited to move to Pinedale... it's just different and I am just trying to see what I'm in for. I wanted to know about the snowmobile because we may not be able to afford living in the city. I have heard that you might get a better deal in rent if you live just outside the city limits where the city does not maintain the roads there. My son is actually excited about the move. I was even thinking of renting a large RV and tow our belongings behind it. I was thinking of making it a fun trip for them with the RV. Also, I was wondering when the last of the snow tends to leave so I don't have to worry about the driving conditions. Thank you for the info!

Old 09-09-2012, 09:38 AM

That makes me much happier! Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am moving soon from GA with two kids and have heard the natives do tend to be harsh to outsiders and I was worried about the things one does when moving to an unknown place. However, I do know they have an ER because my husband works there. He just hasn't been there long enough (only about a couple of months) to really know how things work there. And what's with the renting with no animals thing up there? I don't know why but it seems like no one really likes animals lol. It's hard to find a place to rent that will welcome them. I only have cats! And the local papers don't seem to have a lot to choose from. Anyway, I am looking forward to joining you up there at the end of this school year. Please keep me posted on the weather up there.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_pastor View Post
Copen333,

As for the weather, embrace it! Come in knowing that it is going to be cold, windy, and lots of snow. Dress appropriately and drive carefully. No need for a snowmobile, but I enjoy our 4wd vehicles. Make sure you have a tow rope and take it with you whenever you travel in the winter. Sooner or later you will need to be pulled out of the snow or will come across someone who needs to be pulled out of the snow. Also pack a winter supply bag to keep with you in your vehicle (water, food, blankets, flashlight, etc..).

Wyoming is a great place to live and raise a family. Over the past five years it has become our home and I cannot imagine living anywhere else.

Thank You! It makes me feel good to know someone actually lives there and loves it. I was wondering if you have been there for the past five years and can't imagine living anywhere else ... where did you come from before you moved? And thank you for taking the time to post such a positive and reassuring post. I feel much better about the upcoming move. My husband says even if we were to win the lottery he would still call Pinedale home. He loves it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming