Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2007, 03:23 PM

213 posts, read 764,998 times

Advertisements

We are considering a ranch about 16 miles north of Upton and 14 miles south of Sundance. Would appreciate any comments on WIND, SNOW, WATER PROBLEMS (wells going dry), people accepting of newcomers, etc. Of course, we would be living out of town, but still would have contact with folks in the town of Upton. I know it's small, etc. Job is not relevant so that' s not a problem. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 03:38 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
That's a pretty remote area so I doubt you'll get many responses. But let me give you what I can.

Upton really has nothing to offer as far as grocery store, hardware store, or lumberyard, or feed. The normal things you'd need on a ranch. Probably will find yourself running into Gillette. Sundance does at least have the minimum needs like I mentioned above but they don't have a real big inventory and because they are remote, they're a little more pricey.

I have a friend that has 4500 acres about 5 miles out of Upton going toward where you are. Although we've never discussed water and such, I've never heard him complain about it either.

So although I don't know a lot about it, I hope what I gave will help.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:56 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
That's in an area that's having localized water problems right now.

Recent information we got from the state engineer's office says that the basin surrounding Gillette is now seeing new domestic wells going 800-1000' deep to deliver minimal amounts of water. Typical cost is in the high 5 figures to drill and case a well and pump with a domestic use permit of up to 25 gals/min. Folks are getting much less than that.

Additionally, the stressed water supply is causing different sources of pollution to show up in the wells.

I strongly suggest that you have any existing wells tested for output and water quality. Be especially concerned with heavy metals and nitrate concentrations, which are now showing up. This is a big concern not only for your domestic water, but for livestock, too, so all wells on a ranch must be tested.

I'd be getting in touch with the local well drilling companies to get their local knowledge of the water supply and estimated costs to drill.

Stressed rangeland right now is showing problems with nitrate concentration in the grazing plants. If there's any doubt about what's on your place, get in touch with your County Extension office (UWCES) and they'll know what's affecting the local forage. High nitrates are a serious problem from this source for livestock. You must check field by field, as two adjacent fields may have entirely different nitrate levels. If there's a high nitrate level, it would be best to turn it in as green and let a new stand emerge rather than graze it.

This area experiences hailstorms that can affect your crops or forage ground cover. Check with local farming insurance agents to get their experience re hail damage history in the area. (They don't call it "thunder basin" for no reason ....).

We use National Farmer's Union coverage for our ranch/farm, one of the two major insurance companies writing policies in the area targeted to this market.
They do a competitive job when it comes to writing all your needs, including vehicles, business insurance, GL, O&E, livestock, crops, household, etc.
One stop shopping for everything except your airplane .....

Hope that the property looks good for you. It's a pretty area and holds a lot of potential for the near term. We look forward to riding our horses with you.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:00 PM

213 posts, read 764,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
That's in an area that's having localized water problems right now.

Recent information we got from the state engineer's office says that the basin surrounding Gillette is now seeing new domestic wells going 800-1000' deep to deliver minimal amounts of water. Typical cost is in the high 5 figures to drill and case a well and pump with a domestic use permit of up to 25 gals/min. Folks are getting much less than that.

Additionally, the stressed water supply is causing different sources of pollution to show up in the wells.

I strongly suggest that you have any existing wells tested for output and water quality. Be especially concerned with heavy metals and nitrate concentrations, which are now showing up. This is a big concern not only for your domestic water, but for livestock, too, so all wells on a ranch must be tested.

I'd be getting in touch with the local well drilling companies to get their local knowledge of the water supply and estimated costs to drill.

Stressed rangeland right now is showing problems with nitrate concentration in the grazing plants. If there's any doubt about what's on your place, get in touch with your County Extension office (UWCES) and they'll know what's affecting the local forage. High nitrates are a serious problem from this source for livestock. You must check field by field, as two adjacent fields may have entirely different nitrate levels. If there's a high nitrate level, it would be best to turn it in as green and let a new stand emerge rather than graze it.

This area experiences hailstorms that can affect your crops or forage ground cover. Check with local farming insurance agents to get their experience re hail damage history in the area. (They don't call it "thunder basin" for no reason ....).

We use National Farmer's Union coverage for our ranch/farm, one of the two major insurance companies writing policies in the area targeted to this market.
They do a competitive job when it comes to writing all your needs, including vehicles, business insurance, GL, O&E, livestock, crops, household, etc.
One stop shopping for everything except your airplane .....

Hope that the property looks good for you. It's a pretty area and holds a lot of potential for the near term. We look forward to riding our horses with you.
Thanks JGUSSLER and SUNSPIRIT. Will keep in mind about the nitrate and water problem. The basic ranch has over 1600 deeded acres and also 1600 leased acres, and hopefully there wouldn't be a water/nitrate problem. However, I will defintely check things out if we decide to buy. We would try to buy X number of weaned calves in April or early May if grazing would be OK by then, and then just run the calves until September and sell them. That way we wouldn't have to winter them. Hopefully, I can swing something along that line if there is a stockyard within a reasonable distance.
If we buy, I'll be sure to send you a message about riding those horses together.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:52 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Do keep in mind that this area of the country will support only 1 cow/calf per 100 acres or so ... in a good moisture year. Much less in recent drought years.

I will suggest you visit with the county horticulturalist at the extension office to get up to speed on the local forage and what is good forage quality. It's very easy to overgraze land out here with long term disastrous results for the prairie to recover.

Unlesss you plan on supplemental feeding, you'll be looking at keeping only 30 cows on this ranch.

Most area cattle sales at the Fort Collins sale barn. Get a copy of "the fence post", published in CO, which has the regional sale barn reports each week. Available most feed stores, equine shops, Big R, Murdoch's, etc., or check them out online at www.thefencepost.com.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:07 PM

3 posts, read 11,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
That's a pretty remote area so I doubt you'll get many responses. But let me give you what I can.

Upton really has nothing to offer as far as grocery store, hardware store, or lumberyard, or feed. The normal things you'd need on a ranch. Probably will find yourself running into Gillette. Sundance does at least have the minimum needs like I mentioned above but they don't have a real big inventory and because they are remote, they're a little more pricey.

I have a friend that has 4500 acres about 5 miles out of Upton going toward where you are. Although we've never discussed water and such, I've never heard him complain about it either.

So although I don't know a lot about it, I hope what I gave will help.
i'd have to disagree with you on what you say about Upton, i live here. we do have a pretty good grocery store, a decent hardware store/lumberyard, and a CO-OP store, that you can get some feeds and stock medicines through.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:50 PM

6 posts, read 48,719 times
Upton does have a small grocery store, a nice hardware store, and lots of things that would be needed can be found in unexpected places (for instance one of the gas stations stocks things for horses, dogs, cows, and so forth). Newcastle is only 15 miles away from Upton and is a little bigger than Sundance, and has most of the stores needed.

The wind does blow (it is Wyoming), it does snow and so forth. However, the area that you are talking about varies. Closer to Sundance gets more snow, than that closer to Upton. However, Sundance seems to get more water and as such is greener.

Generally speaking the people are friendly (as with most places this of course depends on the person.) Children are of course always welcome as well.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:11 AM

5 posts, read 16,409 times
Default Upton Wyoming Info please

Just wondering since the area you described is where we just purchased our land. Is the ranch you are looking at part of the "sundowner ranch?" It it is. We will be neighbors!

Old 11-02-2007, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,589 times
We purchased some property in Sundowner Ranch Phase II this year as well.
We have Family in Newcastle and like the area a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming