Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 11:05 AM

592 posts, read 2,246,044 times

Advertisements

Well you can get away with flip flops in the summer,( which is usually the second weekend in August ), when the snow flies you will need some sort of insulated boot if you will be outside for any amount of time. There are all different types and styles. Some have a liner that can be pulled out overnight to dry out some have furry , fuzzy attached liners. You may have to buy them when you get up here as I am not sure if they sell them down south? If the snow is not to deep and the roads and walks have been cleared you can wear anything that covers up your skin, you don't want to get frost bite! The key again, is how long you will actually be outside. I know that snow boots may not match your outfit if you are dressed up so some folks carry two pairs of shoes to the office or have a rubber pull over type of boot that can be taken off and stashed under your desk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 11:34 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,224,779 times
I'm more concerned about good traction than anything. Especially after it has snowed, then wind blows, cars drive over parking lots, etc., it can get very icy. I have slipped as I've gotten out of my car at a store parking lot and slid right under the car! You also want to watch for "black ice". It isn't only treacherous on the roads, it can also be in the parking lots or along street parking. Last year it was on our parking lot at school and 3 of us fell that morning. Even with good traction boots you still have to be very careful!

Old 10-01-2008, 08:09 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,786,968 times
I shopped online for boots, just put in winter boots in a search engine. There will be hundreds so if you know you want hiking boots it would be good to say that. Traction was extremely important to me. If I had to only buy one pair of boots, they would be a hiking boot. If you don't like the boots you ordered online you can send them back. Some places do free shipping.

If you want to wait to try on the shoes in person you will have no trouble finding your ideal pair after you are in Wyoming. It gets cold enough here that you have to be dressed from head to toe.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:06 PM

37 posts, read 166,577 times
Thanks to all of yall for your helpful info.
I truly appreciate you sharing it with me!

Old 10-03-2008, 10:20 AM

357 posts, read 1,615,571 times
Default Winter coats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEN121570 View Post
Here's my question.... why do parkas have a double zipper up the front??

I tried on a Columbia Bugaboo today and got stuck in it! I had to shimy out of it when I couldn't get the double zipper to work right!

Any info or suggestions on buying a jacket/coat/parka for Wyoming would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Well, understand a) I'm a guy, and b) don't have any fashion sense, so my answers are completely informed by function over form:

Double zippers (or velcro flap closures) are really nice on winter coats because wind (of which we have plenty in WY) will blow cold air right through a zipper.

I see the Bugaboo you're talking about is a completely synthetic material, waterproof shell. That's good, but here's a couple things to consider about synthetics:

1. If you snag them on something (barbed wire, etc), they often rip/tear very easily and then they start to fray.

2. They make noise - this is an issue if you like quiet when walking. There's that "bzzzshp, bzzzshp, bzzzshp" noise when you're moving your arms/legs.

3. They can be spendy - and this coat is no exception.

I like Carhartt ranch coats for most of my chores, but they're heavy and not waterproof. For hunting/snow/rain conditions, I like Filson's tin cloth coats. I personally don't like synthetics and stick with wool.

In addition to your coat, you need to shop for some undies. Not your everyday undies, but long underwear. Since you're a gal, look around for silk. My wife like silk camisoles in the winter - silk is a very, very good insulator, and hey, gals look good in silk at the end of the day. It has care issues, of course, but there's washable silks out there now.

In synthetics, I like capalene, not polypropylene. Poly-pro tends to get a "funk" about it after you've been wearing it all day.

In wool, look for merino wool. Merino wool isn't "scratchy" as other wools are - it is a MUCH finer fiber than conventional wool. When you're here in Wyoming, look around at flocks of sheep that are left in the state - you'll usually see white-faced sheep. Most of the white-faced sheep will be at least partly Merino breed. White-faced sheep have finer wool, merino the finest of all. The old, scratchy wool that you might be used to are from black-faced sheep.

Your #1 issue in winter clothing is getting rid of moisture - water vapor that transpires off your skin. If you have one of these "waterproof" coats that does not breathe (ie, allow moisture vapor out of the coat, clothing, sleeping bag, etc), and your inner layer gets water-logged, you can become colder faster than you could ever imagine. This is especially true of your feet.

Winter clothing can be expensive. There's an outfit in Cody and Cheyenne called "Sierra Trading Post" -- they carry a lot of seconds, blems and factory clear-outs in winter clothing. You can often save a lot of money by accepting seconds.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:17 PM

37 posts, read 166,577 times
NVDave, thanks for all your advice! My Mom loves Sierra Trading Post and suggested we go there to shop for my new winter wardrobe. I will keep your advice in mind as I pick out some WY clothes. And I always love a good reason to buy silk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming