Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 04:57 PM

340 posts, read 745,052 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be headed to Wyoming in April to drill some oil wells. The wells are near Hidden Dome & Black Mountain (Which I believe is near Ten Sleep, or Worland..) My wife and I live in California, but it is not our fault, we were born into it !!! We owned property near Elk Mountain (near Rawlins) for about 10 years but had to sell due to personal circs...I would like to spend my time away from the rig looking at property, but I understand there is alot of LDS people in the western portion of Wy.. I do not care for those type of beliefs, and would like to steer clear of those people. We are horse people, and have horse property here in Cal., and we compete in Cowboy Mounted Shooting, so we would like to find a little acreage where we could start piecing together a little home/barn/etc. during the summer's. Any info. would be appreciated... Thanks, Dale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 05:53 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Sounds to me like you'd best get in touch with a realtor in the area you'd like to locate in so you can get an idea what the price ranges are running.

If you're looking to do this in an energy "boom" area, be prepared for very high costs per acre or very large parcels adding up to a lot of $'s.

Don't know what you consider a "little acreage", but most counties/state engineer require 40 acres minimum for unincorporated area sites to have a domestic well permit. Smaller sites may be permitted with a community or municipal water system, or an equine subdivision may have 5-10 acre sites that will meet your needs (generally $$$$'s).

If you really want to be clear of people with strong religious affiliations that differ from yours, it's likely that most of Wyoming will not be suitable for you because you'll find a lot of them here.

Last edited by sunsprit; 02-21-2007 at 06:03 PM..

Old 02-21-2007, 07:51 PM

We had 160 Acres in Elk Mtn., but would not need that many again. 40-80 would be fine.

I don't have a problem with most religions other than Mormon's or Islam, and if I did, most of the U.S.A. would not be suitable, as religion is prevalent most everywhere you go. I grew up next to Mormon's, so I know I don't want to deal with that grief again, and served during the first gulf war, so I know how hated we truly are by that religion.
Basically, I don't want to buy something and then find out I'm in the middle of a "Conform to our beliefs, or else" type of area...

I am definitely not looking for an energy boom area, just a good ol' cowboy town with regular folks who help each other as needed..

Old 02-22-2007, 08:14 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,292 times
Cody is a good little "cowboy town" fur sure, yup,yup. Riverton is another one. And all the boys aren't the brokeback mountain type of guys!
I know of a black mountain area for drilling just east of thermopolis, wyoming. I cant remember the drilling names of oilfields around worland. Probably one at Tensleep, Wyoming. That whole area looks like a prarie dog town, with all the holes and pumpjacks.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:19 PM

Shadowwalker,

Thank you very much... I will definitely check those out when I get up there.. Definitely don't want the brokeback mountain thing !!! hahaha Got plenty of that out here in California..

Old 02-22-2007, 05:24 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,066,583 times
I live in SW Wyoming, the only town of any size in Wyoming that I know of where you could run into "Utah mormon pressure" is Evanston, it's practically on the Utah border. Too bad that you had to sell your land at Elk Mountian.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:44 PM

Thanks Earnifan,

I appreciate the info..

Believe me, I was sick over having to sell my property in Elk Mountain. It was one of those unfortunate life change things (Divorce), she knew what the property meant to me, and there was no way she was going to let me keep it... Oh well, there are usually good things that come out of the bad. Hopefully, I will find another great property and have a new start.. What area of the SW are you in ?? Do you like it pretty well ??

Old 02-22-2007, 05:53 PM

Hi Shadowwalker,

The only lease name I know of so far is the "North Sunshine Lease", and that may be the one near TenSleep.. I have never been to that area of Wy, only along the I-80 to Elk Mountain,Rawlins,Laramie,etc... I have a friend who did some work in Pinedale, and he loved it (even though it was winter time and very cold/snowy !!!)

Old 02-23-2007, 12:29 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,066,583 times
Hi Drill,

We are in Rock Springs. The nice things I can say are the family oriented people are great, and the wind doesn't blow like it does in Cheyenne/Laramie. It is an energy boom town that they are projecting will sustain itself in the end, to be honest we don't plan on sticking around long enough to find out. We're General Contractor's so we want to make money while we can and then find a place we really like. Your friend is right Pinedale is gorgeous!! West of Laramie is too, our retirement plans include a house around Centennial somewhere. So, I guess we'll be back in the windy country someday.LOL

Old 02-23-2007, 05:16 PM

777 posts, read 3,197,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dir Drill 1 View Post
.. Definitely don't want the brokeback mountain thing !!! hahaha Got plenty of that out here in California..

Man, you ain't just kiddin about that Where in CA. you at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming