Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 04:17 PM

689 posts, read 2,058,761 times

Advertisements

We recently made a driving trip from western Washington to western South Dakota, enjoying lots of interesting sights along the way. I'm always writing notes about things we see at 75 MPH but hardly ever follow up on them. This is the first trip we've made since I found city-data folks.

At milepost 110 where I-90 crosses the corner of Wyoming, there was a group of small square buildings. We thought they might be some sort of monitoring stations. Does anyone know what that is?

On October 10 we drove from Sheridan to Rapid City in the rain/snow/fog. For maybe ten miles either side of Sundance we were in thick fog. We were driving along and it was as if a curtain was pulled over the road. Is that common in that area?

Thanks, y'all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 04:44 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,107,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
We recently made a driving trip from western Washington to western South Dakota, enjoying lots of interesting sights along the way. I'm always writing notes about things we see at 75 MPH but hardly ever follow up on them. This is the first trip we've made since I found city-data folks.

At milepost 110 where I-90 crosses the corner of Wyoming, there was a group of small square buildings. We thought they might be some sort of monitoring stations. Does anyone know what that is?

On October 10 we drove from Sheridan to Rapid City in the rain/snow/fog. For maybe ten miles either side of Sundance we were in thick fog. We were driving along and it was as if a curtain was pulled over the road. Is that common in that area?

Thanks, y'all.
I know there is a parking area on milepost 110, but not certain of the buildings located there. Fog has been known to roll in around the Sundance area.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:07 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,826,625 times
There are a bunch of underground missle silos in that area, obviously you don't see the silos but the buildings connected to them, just one possibility this is what you saw. I't's not part of the Minuteman missle silo field part of which is outside of Cheyenne. I remember when I lived in Gillette and we headed over to the Black Hills or Rapid City and they were pointed out to me. Connected to Ellsworth Air Force Base.

Last edited by MRVphotog; 11-07-2008 at 05:17 PM..

Old 11-07-2008, 07:05 PM

5,289 posts, read 1,233,275 times
Fog is not as common as most people think, once you get past Sundance (not that there is much to see there)! But I guess I'm a bit biased, as I spent my first 21 years of life calling Sheridan my home. I would totally recommend visiting Sheridan for a few days, it is beautiful covered in snow, and in the summer. In the summer there is the big Rodeo and Rodeo parade, where the whole town practically shuts down. Right outside of Sheridan is the Bradford Brinton ranch/museum, and Eaton's Ranch (1st ever dude ranch, the Queen of England stayed there)! In town there is a lot to see and do. Plus the BigHorn Mountains...hmmm...maybe I do miss Wyo. more than I'd like to admit! =-)

Old 11-07-2008, 08:51 PM

823 posts, read 1,733,387 times
Looking at the sattelite image from the area I believe what you are looking at are gas wells. They put several wells on one location so that they make a smaller footprint on the environment. They are all drilled at different depths to drain different coal seams. 99% positive

Old 11-07-2008, 09:12 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times
"There are a bunch of underground missle silos in that area, obviously you don't see the silos but the buildings connected to them, just one possibility this is what you saw."

I won't say this isn't true, but I've lived in Gillette (exits 124, 126, 128, 129) for 37+ years and have never heard of any missile silos in the area. There's a group of small buildings associated with gas and oil pipelines not far from there, but I was thinking it's a little farther west on I-90. The buildings set north of the Interstate, and the pipelines run under the Interstate and southward from there. I'll have to take a drive out that way soon and see what you're talking about at milepost 110.

For the most part, fog is fairly uncommon in most parts of Wyoming because of the dry air. Interstate 90 crosses a ridge a few miles west of Sundance, and if there are low clouds across the region they can dip right down to the ground in that area. I've also seen a lot of heavy snow and rain in that area, mostly just west of Sundance.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:13 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,057,908 times
Fog is not too common. Every great once in a while we get some though. You just happened to get luck lol Just kidding. But you just happened to come through some.
How recently did you take your trip? There have been a couple lows that have come through, pulling a ton of moisture in from the gulf of Mexico up towards us.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:55 PM

592 posts, read 2,244,594 times
cindy cat, were they built of brick or metal? Was there any piping around them? If they are metal they are probably associated with oil or gas fields. They are used to house many different things such as electrical measurement equipment. If they are brick they may be associated with the fiber optic lines that were run in parts of Wyoming years ago. Many of these can be seen along I-80.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:47 PM

689 posts, read 2,058,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyomiles View Post
cindy cat, were they built of brick or metal? Was there any piping around them? .
I don't have anything in my notes about the material. As I said, we were seeing these things at 75 MPH. I don't recall any texture, like brick, so they were probably metal.
----------------
From KRISTYNWY - How recently did you take your trip? There have been a couple lows that have come through, pulling a ton of moisture in from the gulf of Mexico up towards us.

We went through there on 10 October, on our way to spend four nights in Rapid City. It was the weekend that Billings set three consecutive daily records for snowfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming