Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:40 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyPoohFan317 View Post
Man- I miss the WYO weather. I have so many fond memories of sub-zero temps. When I was in 3rd grade in Sheridan we had a 3 week stretch where the HIGH was -25 and of course there was generally a slight breeze. So it was cold. And then all of a sudden it went from that to the very next day being 33 (ABOVE 0). My sis and I begged Mom to let us wear shorts to school, but no dice! Even though it felt so much warmer than 33!
Ah yes the old pull the summer clothes out when it hits 30+ degrees out. I've done that a few times.

You know a lot of people who live in warmer areas think we are nuts for wanting to live in such a cold place in the winter. But I wouldn't want to live where the was no snow, or you couldn't see your breath freeze right in front of you. Besides all that cold just keeps you young and strong. I know a lot of folks who don't officially retire and start heading south for the winter until they are in their eighties. I would even venture to bet that they can run circles around the folks who are in their sixties and lived mostly in warmer climates.

My 92 year old great uncle still tends his sheep. He has to hire out the sheering because his arthritis is getting bad in his hands, but he still lambs, dips, feeds, irrigates and everything else all by himself. My 86 year old grandma could still buck hay if she was living on a ranch. Where as her 60 some year old son (my uncle) who has lived the past 40+ years in AZ can barely move at times. So there must be something about living in cold country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 07:49 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,787 times
I dont think it's where you live; it's how you live.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:38 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,057,516 times
Here are some more great tips to stay warm in this cold...

Well once it got below zero and down to -20 something here, our furnace just wasn't hacking it. It was in the 50's in my house and not getting much warmer. Whoever installed the HVAC system didn't do the correct load calculations, so the air isn't heated efficiently and the bedrooms are warmer and the living room is always cool.

Anyways, we have two huge windows in our living room in this very old house we live in. They were letting too much heat escape, so we got 4 mil plastic and put it over the windows and boy did that do a huge bit of difference.
I read online how to insulate older homes, and discovered electrical outlets and switches can be drafty, and I found foam insulators to go under the plates, and they stopped the drafts and made a difference! That is something totally new I would have never thought of. There was a package of them at Walmart for like $3, for both electrical outlets and switches.

Last night it was -8 and the house was able to stay at 64 with out the furnace running constantly. Runs often, but not as much as it was having to.

Usually the cold snaps don't last this long, last year in January it was for a few days one week, and never really happened again. But this year is different, the cold came earlier and has lasted longer.
But it is always possible here to have extended cold snaps.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynwy View Post
... our furnace just wasn't hacking it. It was in the 50's in my house and not getting much warmer. ....But it is always possible here to have extended cold snaps.
Something else that really works well in windows, is 'warm window' quilted shades with magnetic strips. We made those for a farm house. Currently we also use 2" thick Styrofoam sheets cut just to the size to squeeze into the window casings at night.

speaking of cold...
You would be in the same boat if you were stuck back in OR. It has been COLD for the last week, and will get up to freezing by Christmas. (not 'sub - zero' YET on the west side). BUT was 8F with 50 mph wind for 3 days at my place, now its up to 13F, but still 80% Humidity !!! Burr. freezing rain coming tonight, then one more week of cold with rain every other day (that is real interesting at 10F...) Our house gets totally encapsulated in ice and you can't see out the windows (like shower doors) then... it gets really warm (no air leaks) BUT... then the ice melts against the windows and floods of freezing water come streaming inside when it melts to the top where the 'wicking' holes are. What a mess. I wish they buried the water pipes more than a foot, as 10 days of wind and 10F is gonna be a problem with frozen pipes too, out under the driveway.

I can't wait to get back to WY... 6 more months of school, then sell 'Casa Grande' and build a 'Casita' (cottage) somewhere with CHEAP taxes, under $2000 / yr would suit me. Equip it with good windows!!! The best I found were in Europe, they were awesome, and opened 3 different ways (casement, awning, and slider, all in one) plus popped in for cleaning. They were so Quiet and Warm (this was in Switzerland mountains)

Old 12-18-2008, 11:31 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,057,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
Something else that really works well in windows, is 'warm window' quilted shades with magnetic strips. We made those for a farm house. Currently we also use 2" thick Styrofoam sheets cut just to the size to squeeze into the window casings at night.

speaking of cold...
You would be in the same boat if you were stuck back in OR. It has been COLD for the last week, and will get up to freezing by Christmas. (not 'sub - zero' YET on the west side). BUT was 8F with 50 mph wind for 3 days at my place, now its up to 13F, but still 80% Humidity !!! Burr. freezing rain coming tonight, then one more week of cold with rain every other day (that is real interesting at 10F...) Our house gets totally encapsulated in ice and you can't see out the windows (like shower doors) then... it gets really warm (no air leaks) BUT... then the ice melts against the windows and floods of freezing water come streaming inside when it melts to the top where the 'wicking' holes are. What a mess. I wish they buried the water pipes more than a foot, as 10 days of wind and 10F is gonna be a problem with frozen pipes too, out under the driveway.

I can't wait to get back to WY... 6 more months of school, then sell 'Casa Grande' and build a 'Casita' (cottage) somewhere with CHEAP taxes, under $2000 / yr would suit me. Equip it with good windows!!! The best I found were in Europe, they were awesome, and opened 3 different ways (casement, awning, and slider, all in one) plus popped in for cleaning. They were so Quiet and Warm (this was in Switzerland mountains)
Yeah my family over in Oregon say they are having "wyoming like" weather lol Not since I was kid has that happened. Growing up I remember snow all the time in the valley. But it is cold and crazy over there right now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming