Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 10:17 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,923,118 times

Advertisements

I do not wear cowboy hats, becasuse they look rather odd on me. When I wear something on my head, it is usually a stocking cap in the winter or a baseball cap (to protect my head and forehead-I burn too easy in the summer). I like wearing a cap of my favorite pro sports or college teams, one being the Kansas Jayhawks.

Theoretically, if I was wearing a cowboy hat, I would wear a pair of Wranglers, have a belt buckle, and have a cowboy-style button-down shirt along with the cowboy boots that have a spur in the back. Wearing a Cowboy hat with my clothing, cargo pants or carpenter pants and a T-shirt or polo shirt and basketball shoes would makes me seem odd.

I usually dress for comfort and do not find cowboy hats to be comforatable. I wore one a few times and did not care much for wearing it. I stick with caps (beanie/stocking caps or baseball caps).

Last edited by Chris19; 02-18-2009 at 10:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 12:32 PM

592 posts, read 2,243,595 times
Benny, I collect hats and I try to wear as many as I can. No one ever gave me a hard time for any of them...well my disneyland goofy hat turned some heads.
I have a felt cowboy hat for camping and a straw cowboy hat for gardening.
If ya got em wear em I say !

Old 02-19-2009, 06:17 PM

269 posts, read 829,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyphoenix View Post
it is just that i do have respect for local customs.
hi benny-the only local custom that comes to mind is a wyo drivers license and a great smile

Old 02-19-2009, 06:44 PM

203 posts, read 712,746 times
I might get a chance to wear a cowboy hat this spring. My assistant Tina says she'll take me to her husband family's ranch and either brand the cows or immunize them. I vote for immunize because it is right up my alley.

My husband did get a UofW cap and it looks good.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:10 AM

4,137 posts, read 9,103,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septocaine_queen View Post
I might get a chance to wear a cowboy hat this spring. My assistant Tina says she'll take me to her husband family's ranch and either brand the cows or immunize them. I vote for immunize because it is right up my alley.

My husband did get a UofW cap and it looks good.
A cowboy hat would be good for you then...even immunizing isn't safe from poo. Boggles the mind how it flies vertically

Old 02-20-2009, 06:43 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,864 times
I started wearing cowboy "hats" when I was about 8. I quit when I went to Tennessee 5 years ago. I can't get the style of Felt hat I like except for a custom job that cost over $400.00. Now that I'm back here, I still have the ponytail and kinda like it. I told my wife I think I'll try looking like a Indian for a while longer. She's cool with that look as she likes long hair on men too. She did say she'd draw the line if I started acting like a WILD Indian though.
I figure I'll wear baseball caps out fourwheeling and fishing,hunting and such.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:11 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,242,305 times
Impossible for me to grow a ponytail.
But dredlocks might be an interesting look.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:43 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,467,952 times
You can usually spot the "Rexall wranglers" a mile away. It's especially funny to see the city slickers trying to look like cowboys during Cheyenne Frontier Days. The women, especially, carry that off very poorly.

Back in the late 1970's and early 1980's, everybody wanted to look "Western"--the "Urban Cowboy" days. Ironically, I did wear a Stetson and cowboy boots most of the time then--but I was actually in the livestock business, so I wasn't in costume. Even then, though, I wore a baseball-type cap far more than I did a Stetson.

I lived in Wyoming for several years not long ago, and I never wore a Stetson the whole time I lived there, and I knew few other Wyomingites who did--other than the people actually out on working ranches. I never lost my habit of wearing western boots from my livestock days, and I did (and do) still wear those somewhat regularly. As for hats, when I wore one, it was/is usually a ball cap (never worn backwards--I hate that). I also, unlike many, do not think it's OK to wear a hat inside. I was taught from the time I was a kid that if there is a roof over your head, you take your hat off--and I am a Rocky Mountain region native. The only time I leave a hat on inside is when I am in a hard-hat area--and I will obviously leave my hard-hat on then. Another thing that really gripes me is when people refuse to remove their hats when the US flag passes by during a parade or review. When I was a kid, if someone left their hat on when that happened, someone would knock it off.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:29 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,230,068 times
Speaking of removing hats when indoors....

One thing I've noticed about cowboys is that most will remove their boots/shoes when entering your home. I have my business office and studio in my home, and many ranchers just remove their footwear when stepping inside the door out of habit -- much like I experienced while visiting Japan years ago.

We'd do that as Kansas farmers when I was a kid if our shoes were wet or muddy, but it seems more ingrained in Wyoming. I usually tell them to keep there shoes on in my home or they'll get dirty sox, but they still do it, from old folks to kids. I must say I appreciate their concern. It's much better than the few who track mud through the house.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:18 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,219,048 times
As a woman who grew up in Wyoming, I've never worn a cowboy (or girl!) hat. I just never felt the desire or need to I guess. I was not raised on a ranch and I didn't barrel race or tie goats or vie for "queen" during the Days of '49, Mustang Days, or anything like that! If I wore a cowboy hat I think I would feel like I was being "fake" because I'm about as far from a cowgirl as you can get. Even when I spent the night with my rural friends while growing up I never wore one while at their place. Baseball caps were worn much more by almost everyone than cowboy hats. Some women probably like to "dress up" in a cowboy hat, but personally speaking, they're not for me!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming