Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 12:20 PM

11 posts, read 35,502 times

Advertisements

Protection when camping

We will be in WY may 20th for a week near big sandy we will be fishing in the lakes and will hike and camp.

Any one know the rules on guns for some one from out of state with the bears and mt lions we where thinking about having a gun with us.

Looked all over the internet and can not find any info on this. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 12:32 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Wyoming is an open carry state.

OpenCarry.org - State Information For Wyoming

Old 03-29-2009, 12:50 PM

116 posts, read 449,843 times
As Brian stated, you can legally carry an unconcealed gun almost anywhere in Wyoming.

Concealed weapons permits from several other states are honored by Wyoming. See here:

Concealed Weapons Permit (http://attorneygeneral.state.wy.us/dci/CWP.html - broken link)

You cannot, however, carry a gun at all in National parks like Yellowstone. There was a rule that was set to go into effect that would allow permit holders to carry concealed in National parks, but it's been put on hold due to a court injunction.

You might want to look into bear spray, like this:

UDAP Bear Deterrent Pepper Spray

You can buy it at most of the sporting goods stores here. I understand it's pretty effective, more so than handguns according to some studies I've seen. (Remember, bear spray is not like mosquito spray. You SPRAY IT ON THE BEAR, not on yourself.)

Last edited by SkunkApe; 03-29-2009 at 01:02 PM..

Old 03-29-2009, 03:32 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,787 times
Against a bear you are better off with bear spray. The quality of bear spray differs from state to state. Do not buy bear spray in calif, it is weak. I know that the stuff available in montana is effective.
You are more likely to bear struck by lightning than being attacked by a mountain lion.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:43 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,292 times
I am pretty sure to carry a pistol or rifle in the woods here you have to have at least a small game license and a conservation stamp. Maybe I'm wrong on that, though.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:46 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I am pretty sure to carry a pistol or rifle in the woods here you have to have at least a small game license and a conservation stamp. Maybe I'm wrong on that, though.
Very wrong. There's no correlation between a G&F permit and the ability to "open carry" in Wyoming. Nor does that correlate in any way to a CWP, which is a license unto itself and has no requirement about "need" or "hunting".

Old 03-29-2009, 05:10 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,546 times
Just remember to properly put your food and such away so as not to entice any unwanted visitors. Also stay on your hiking trail and do not wander from it. If you should encounter such an animal do not, repeat, do not run. By doing so you become instant prey. For mountin lions you want to make yourself look as big and scary as possible. For bears you will want to curl up in a ball and remain as calm and quiet as possible.

If you should have to use a weapon, be sure you take a good shot. If you should only injure the animal it could really set it off and the consequences could be deadly.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:00 AM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,579 times
Good advice from all posters.. I would also recommend you "pickup" walking sticks if you are out clambering around... These can come in handy as a "defense" weapon..

We never ever ever went campning without a few hand guns. Keep your food locked up - preferrably in a seperat area from your sleeping area.

It is an open carry state..

Old 03-31-2009, 12:20 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,106,591 times
Noise. Bring noise. Meaning, when you are hiking about or some such, sing, carry-on a one way conversation, et al. Pick up some bear bells - or a cowbell. Chances are if you don't surprise a bear, for instance, you won't have any troubles. It is when they are startled that they are more prone to charge.
Or the advice given to me when I arrived in Alaska...make certain you bring someone along who cannot run as fast as you...gives the bears something to do while you get away
In all seriousness though...do not run if you come up on a bear. And if you've made plenty of noise, it will be likely you won't see a bear to begin with, just the shaking of the brush as it scampers off.
The bear spray is a fine idea - and yes, please don't coat yourself with it! Sportsman's Warehouse or Cabela's carry it.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:05 PM

14 posts, read 33,465 times
soooo if i were say hiking in yellowstone with my kids I should attach jingle bells to them?? because that will be hilarious!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming