Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 01:27 AM

52 posts, read 174,962 times

Advertisements

If anyone is interested, there is a new health store in Gillette;
Bev brew and health stop.
They sell wheat grass shots and organic fruit smoothies also.

Other than them, there is also;
health styles market.

And;
GNC.

Last edited by Kristynwy; 05-26-2009 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: I edited your post, we have to be careful not to advertise other businesses because of the terms of service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 10:28 PM

203 posts, read 712,641 times
Cool! we will have to check it out. What else do they sell?

Healthstyles is good bc they can order stuff for you, the bummer is that they are not open on the weekends.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:36 AM

bb&h is open Monday thru Saturday from 7 am to 5:30 pm, but this Saturday only until 2 pm. (I think she said something about a graduation party when I called).

I am going to try to get in before 2 for a wheatgrass shot. I willpick up some w.g powder, but I rather have the fresh stuff. I am considering growing my own, then juicing, but I hear a lot of people have problems with mold if not careful enough.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:37 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietlake View Post
bb&h is open Monday thru Saturday from 7 am to 5:30 pm, but this Saturday only until 2 pm. (I think she said something about a graduation party when I called).

I am going to try to get in before 2 for a wheatgrass shot. I willpick up some w.g powder, but I rather have the fresh stuff. I am considering growing my own, then juicing, but I hear a lot of people have problems with mold if not careful enough.
Can you share the benefits of a wheatgrass shot? What do they taste like? Sounds like it would be kind of gross to me! I know I need to eat healthier but just don't know where to start beyond the fact that I've been eating lots more fruit and a few more veggies lately, as well as taking some fruit & veggie supplements. Thanks!

Old 05-27-2009, 06:53 AM

The taste of wheatgrass is sort of difficult to describe, and it is definitely an acquired taste. It tastes sort of like a really strong green tea. If you hate the taste, take a 2 ounce shot with 6 ounces of your favorite fruit juice, or drink it straight with a fruit juice or ice water chaser.

I first tried a shot because it was reported to be good for you in general, so I figured, give it a try! I did not like the taste at all and thought I would just stick to a daily vitamin instead.

However, about a half hour after the shot, I had a feeling of increased energy (perhaps it would be more accurate to say that my fatigue went away, as I was having a feeling of exhaustion before the juice).

Anyway, I decided it was worth it to continue drinking the juice, as it helped with my fatigue issues better than caffeine did, and with out the jittery feeling.

I have since grown accustomed to the taste, and although I cannot say that it tastes delicious, it no longer tastes bad, more neutral I suppose.

It is important to take a look at the wheatgrass that you are about to juice. Wheatgrass grown indoors can get mold, and even if you cut the grass far above the mold line, the grass already has the mold "grown" into it so to speak. This can make the juice taste really bad, and some people get a really bad reaction from it, possibly to the point of feeling like vomiting. If this happens, check the grass more carefully.

It is reported to have an amazing array of health benefits including;
Increased energy, strength, endurance, and health,
Improves digestion,
Helps reduce high blood pressure,
Great detoxify for liver, cells, tissue, and blood.

People say it can help with many diseases, but I can only testify to the energy boost, as that is why I drink it.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:01 AM

207 posts, read 714,429 times
wheat grass is best to drink first thing in the AM on an empty stomach. I do this after running romain lettuce threw a juicer. I think the wheat grass is better, more potent. If you can stomach it, don't dillute it with anything else. Its more effective. You can feel you skin tingle because it goes to your bloodstream so fast. Way better than V8. You have to have a special juicer for the wheat grass. My juicer uses a rotating cutter/strainer to extract the juice using cutting and centrifical motion. The wheatgrass juice extractor is a slower moving screw type grinder, mechanism that works more like a meat grinder. Correct me if I'm wrong, quietlake. I can attest to the energy boost.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:07 PM

Sunbelt - You grow your own? Do you have a mold problem? If not, any advice on how to avoid that problem? Also, what brand juicer do you have? I was thinking about the "healthy juicer" as it is only $50 and has good reviews, but for that small a price, I wonder if it will last long.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:34 PM

207 posts, read 714,429 times
No, like I said, you have to have a special 'screw-type' juicer for wheat grass. I did see someone that did grow it in FL. I wouldn't think you'd have a mold problem here in this climate. I bought a Black and Decker juicer from 'Slave-Mart' for < $50. It works like a champ. I will do either romaine lettuce with carrots to take the bitterness out, or cantelope and blueberries. The latter makes a nice thick froth. Its best to drink it within the 1st 2 or 3 hours. I think its better fresh. Be sure to rinse it off in the sink 1st. I used to do celery and parsley, the darker the green, the better. A good way to detox is do nothing but juicing for 3 days (and drink bottled water). When you get over the hunger pains, which is really nothing more than a lust for fatty foods, then your body starts to look to your fat cells for food. Your fat cells are where the toxins are stored. Not that YOU'RE fat, its the normal fat cells we all have. I have yet to do this 3 day fast for the last 10 years I have juiced occationally. Also, I have read that it is better to juice that just water fast as your body goes into 'starvation mode' when doing a straight fast and will hold onto fat reserves. The juice will also help you GI track loose the film that it gets coated with from all the processsed foods and will help rejuivenate your 'filter' organs like liver and kidneys. I also noticed my face has more color and my skin is more supple and smooth. There's probably a whole lot more you can do to detox, but that's a good start. Do your research using google, as always. Also, don't try bananas or alvacodos in your juicer. I think you can do them in a screw-type juicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming